Buck with swollen private area

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexmomma91

Reaction score
We have an appointment with the vet Friday morning!
I was just curious if anyone has ever dealt with this before....
I have a mini rex buck that has, what looks like, swollen (sorry for the wording) balls. I have had him since April of last year and this past fall was his 1st time being breed.
Outside of the swollen area, I have noticed he cannot sit down fully. But other than that he has been perfectly fine, always happy, eats like it's his last meal LOL!

(Please ignore his messy stained bottom, I had a ceramic tile in his cage, but he kept peeing on it, so I recently changed it out)

My other buck is not like this at all....

I will post a picture so I apologize ahead of time if it's not something that you want to see.

20220411_173423.jpg

Attachments

• 20220411_173423.jpg
    20220411_173423.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4
My buck had something like this, this past year. I gave him some garlic chives. And the swelling went down and disappeared after a few days. No idea why or what caused it. I recently learned not to continue giving the chives to my rabbits as in abundance they can cause blood thinning problems ect.

They key word there is "abundance" which is a relative term, and "can" doesn't say it does. Whatever you look for on the internet you'll find that everything is harmful or toxic. A lot gets generalized from other animals - like dogs which didn't evolve to deal with everything botany throws at them. We are mammals too, and have no problems with it.
I stopped worrying about that, mine are free roam in the garden and even on the meadow at times, they know best what and how much they can stomach. If they eat it, it's ok, no matter what the internet says. All Ivy got eridicated, for example. (I'm in Europe though, where rabbits evolved)

Michaels4gardens has postet a lot about feeding allium plants like garlic chives here, worth reading. (Use "allium" or "garlic" as searchphrase, select [Search titles only]. For some reason searching for his username doesn't work for me???)

Bottom line, if I remember correctly, no obvious signs that it is harmful but a good contribution like as a preventative for different parasites, like coccidia.
I don't have chives in abundance, but when I have more than I need I add those to their feed. Not a staple food, but a supplement now and then.

Last edited:
This happened to my daughter's pet rabbit some years ago. I panicked and thought he had some sort of tumor. When I took him to the vet, they said he had somehow stepped on or injured himself, causing one of his testicles to swell. I had him neutered and it never happened again. He was a pet and we weren't breeding rabbits, so neutering to avoid the problem recurring made sense for us.

It could be urine scald. It doesn't look too deep so hopefully the vet will say it isn't serious.

Latest posts

Back