Brought home #1 today.... whats up with her ears??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy Lane

Reaction score
Here is ______ (she will be named when my little sister gets home from school. I bought her from a amish boy (around 6) he was such the business man!. She has been in with a buck, so I am expecting babies sometime :)

This is her temporary cage, we are in the process of moving. She will live in a cattle panel shed colony :)
My question is; they caught them by their EARS! I have never heard of this, but she let out an awful scream, and when I was holding her I found out why. Her right ear is the only one like this.

It won't let me upload the pic ?? how do I ?

MamaSheepdog":1kalyeys said:
Here are a couple of different ways to attach pics:

picture-tutorial-t6003.html

attachment-tutorial-t5.html

Thanks, I have already tried both of those ways- still won't work. I am now uploading them with photobucket :)

__________ Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:37 pm __________

100_7618_zps3e00a439.jpg

100_7616_zps6da9f4fb.jpg

100_7615_zpsd6aeff37.jpg

100_7612_zpsb337c345.jpg

100_7611_zps358be125.jpg

Finally !

Looks like ear mites to me. We used cat or dog ear mite drops to ear them up when our mixed breed rabbit we bought had them.

Some of the pictures are kind of blurry, but if that is sort of crusty gunk in the ears, then the rabbit probably has ear mites. You will need to put some olive oil, mineral oil or even vegetable oil into the ear to smother the mites. It also will soften the gunk and it will come out on its own over the next number of days.

I've only had to do this once or twice, but I prefer to warm the oil very slightly so it is at body temperature. It is more comfortable for the rabbit. You will likely need to repeat the treatment in about a week to make sure you've got rid of them all.

Ear mites are a fairly common problem and easily treated. Her ears may be painful and itchy at present, so that may be why she screamed. Ear mites can be easily transmitted to other rabbits, so keep her in isolation and wash well after handling her.

In general, the oil is all you need to deal with the mites. If you decide to go with an ear mite product, one for cats or kittens is generally safer than one for dogs. Cats and rabbits share many sensitivities.

Yes, Amanda is right. She has a bad case of ear mites.

You can use vegetable or olive oil in her ears. It will loosen the crust so she can shake it out and the oil will suffocate the mites. If you warm the oil to body temperature it will be more comfortable for her. I would put it in her ears every day or other day until the crust is gone, and then once or twice weekly for the next couple of weeks in case any eggs hatch.

***I see MaggieJ beat me to it, and we said just about the same thing! :lol:

MaggieJ":2r8tbdrj said:
Ear mites are a fairly common problem and easily treated. Her ears may be painful and itchy at present, so that may be why she screamed. Ear mites can be easily transmitted to other rabbits, so keep her in isolation and wash well after handling her.
Not to mention they should not ever be picked up by the ears...right? I was always told that it hurts the rabbits and could seriously damage their ears.

MaggieJ":38f1j6yy said:
Some of the pictures are kind of blurry, but if that is sort of crusty gunk in the ears, then the rabbit probably has ear mites. You will need to put some olive oil, mineral oil or even vegetable oil into the ear to smother the mites. It also will soften the gunk and it will come out on its own over the next number of days.

I've only had to do this once or twice, but I prefer to warm the oil very slightly so it is at body temperature. It is more comfortable for the rabbit. You will likely need to repeat the treatment in about a week to make sure you've got rid of them all.

In general, the oil is all you need to deal with the mites. If you decide to go with an ear mite product, one for cats or kittens is generally safer than one for dogs. Cats and rabbits share many sensitivities.

Yes it's crusty gunk, sorry about the blurry pics. She wasn't to happy with the ride home, or the basset hound starring her down! She seems content now, munching on grass.

I will treat her tonight, thanks! She is my only one, so no isolation issues :) I plan to keep 1-2 of her daughters to add to my program. I am picking up a buck in 6 weeks.

I am really excited to have a rabbit again. My hubby really seems to like her:) and the idea of raising them. I am going to make a pen, with cattle panels (bent like an arch), tarp the outside, run chicken wire along the bottom. This will be for my does, and their babies until weaning. Then they will go into a smaller divided fryer colony (buck/doe).. I am still trying to decide if I want to leave the buck in the main colony.

3LilMonkeys":3inoab1e said:
MaggieJ":3inoab1e said:
Not to mention they should not ever be picked up by the ears...right? I was always told that it hurts the rabbits and could seriously damage their ears.

I agree that no rabbit should ever be picked up by the ears. The boy has some things to learn, about rabbit handling and about conditions like ear mites. But he is apparently only six or so and I had no fear that Legacy Lane would pick up her rabbit that way.

MaggieJ":2oawyzek said:
3LilMonkeys":2oawyzek said:
MaggieJ":2oawyzek said:

I agree that no rabbit should ever be picked up by the ears. The boy has some things to learn, about rabbit handling and about conditions like ear mites. But he is apparently only six or so and I had no fear that Legacy Lane would pick up her rabbit that way.

I would never pick a rabbit up like that! I felt so bad for her!

It's hard to guess the age of some of RT members. :) I know we have some young ones on here, so I thought it was best to mention about the ears in case Legacy Lane was younger. I honestly thought she might be 12...but than I saw that she has a husband and knew she wasn't 12..lol. :)

Ow! Looks like a nasty ear mite infection. I put mineral oil in their ears for 2-3 weeks. If one ear has it, still treat both because they will just jump ship and go into the other one :)

I treated her last night, she already seems better, her name is sugar :) Named by my 9 yr old sister.

I am not 12 lol, but I am young -almost 17 to be exact-. I have been very happily married for almost 2 years. I also have wonderful one year old son. Are your freaking out now lol! Most people at least have a OMG look on their face after they learn this about me :)

My life isn't exactly going like I thought I would but hey I am alive and healthy and so are my husband and my son. I am finishing school and going on to be a nurse. My husband has a good job at a lumber yard that has allowed us the option to buy some property and put a trailer on it. Which is why I am now raising rabbits again, to save us money on groceries by providing meat :)

I believe completely in soul mates, and that my husband is mine. I met him 2 days after my Papaw passed away. My Papaw always told me to never marry some one who doesn't share my love of the country and animals. I believe he sent Draven to me. My life couldn't be any better.

Well there is the story. I either tell most of it or none of it, because if I only tell part of it people think I am some slut who screwed around and married because I had to and that is not the cause. I am a straight A student even through my pregnancy and now raising my son. I fell in love and made a bad choice that brought me the best thing in my life. My husband and I love each other as much as you can love somebody, and are happy together even if we are in our teens.

Sorry for the long post, but since I will be on this site a lot I figured I would share my story with you guys. -Kentrell

No judgement here, LL. I got pregnant at 20, married cuz of it, divorced cuz he was a cheating umm..person..who couldn't make up his mind. I am now married again to my high school crush and expecting our first child together.
Everyone makes mistakes. It is how you learn from them that sets you apart.

You know, Legacy Lane, it sometimes amazes me at how different a generation or two can be. My grandmother was 16 when she married. No one thought anything of it. My mother was 18 when she married. No one thought anything of it. I look at my ancestrial family tree and it was quite common for girls to marry in their teen years.

But, today, people get all weirded out about it. Sometimes, I wonder if part of the problem with teens today is because we expect them to be children until they are 20 and then *puff* suddenly they are to be adults.

Anyway, congrats on the rabbit and the happy life. You have selected a good career -- nurses will always be needed!

Legacy, actually what you have done is perfectly normal from a biological standpoint. If women weren't supposed to have babies at a young age, they wouldn't start their cycles.

I'm glad you have found happiness with your husband and son, and it sounds like you have a wonderful start with your homestead! Lucky you, that you may be a great grandmother (or even a great-great!) before you are *ahem* done, which I doubt will be the case for me and many other women who waited longer to start their families.

Vegetable oil in rabbit's ears will promote microbial growth and is a bad idea. Mineral oil is a much better choice. Mineral oil mixed with pyrethrins is what is sold commercially for dogs and cats with ear mites.

I have used three drops of mineral oil and one drop of the commercial stuff in ears that looked like your picture.

Well things have been busy around here and I am just now logging on. Thanks for the help with the ear mites:) And for not being crazy judgmental:) We are still waiting on babies.. I have almost had her two weeks now, she is starting to warm up to us finally.

Back