Bringing Bunny on Trips

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
funnies50":3mygp4ad said:
And by carsick I mean she'd sit there and just look at me. I just called it 'carsick' because it sounded kind of funny...and I didn't really know what else to call it. :shock:
Sounds to me like "frozen in terror." :? When you're around bunnies long enough, you learn how to read their language. lol

Funnies, please don't think that the people here are beating up on you..we are all concerned about you and any bunny in your future. .. some people just don't know that rabbits take a different kind of care..they are not the kind of animal that can be packed around like a purse dog..too many want to treat them as a stuffed plushie..maybe that would be a better alternative. .just saying. .

I have been on a couple of road trips before, leaving my bunnies behind. What I would do in those cases would be release them into my sunroom (concrete floor) and leave 5-6 dishes of food and water (enough for two weeks even if we are leaving for only 3 days) around for them. They never faced the stress of moving, just a few seconds of stress while being carried and then they had a heyday ripping up the furniture and doing binkies everywhere until I came home and shoved them back in a cage again. If you are alright with the major cleanup involved when returning from such an event, you could possibly buy a puppy playpen and set up an area for bunny to hang out in (the garage?) with lots of food and water until you come back.

funnies50":23uyic95 said:
I haven't gotten one just yet ... I know you guys get frustrated with me sometimes, and I know it sometimes sounds like I don't care; I really do, and I definitely have learned a lot from you. Sorry if I make it sound careless :(
And by carsick I mean she'd sit there and just look at me. I just called it 'carsick' because it sounded kind of funny...and I didn't really know what else to call it. :shock:
Maybe we've misread your tone a little bit, I don't know. I'm really glad you are learning here. Rabbits' care needs are so very different from those of cats and dogs, and it seemed like you weren't getting that. Dogs will happily hop into the car to go with you anywhere. Cats will pack themselves in your luggage when they realize you're going on a trip. Or they'll ignore you. Rabbits would much rather stay home, and that is what is safest for them, too.

Rabbits need to be able to acclimate to new surroundings very slowly, always having a safe place to retreat to. Some rabbits seem to be "drag and drop" -- drag them home, drop them into a new house, and they look around like, "Ah, new place! Sweet!" Most rabbits, though, do better left in their closed, partially covered cage for a few days.

funnies50":ohq9rpdo said:
I haven't gotten one just yet ... I know you guys get frustrated with me sometimes, and I know it sometimes sounds like I don't care; I really do, and I definitely have learned a lot from you. Sorry if I make it sound careless :(

Yeah, it does sound like she was terrified. Rabbits really do not like to travel. Heck, I just bought two new young rabbits a week ago and they're still settling in. One of them actually stretched out in her cage, today, for the first time... and it's been a WEEK. That's how much traveling stresses them out.

I'm glad to hear that you are taking this seriously. If you do decide to get another rabbit, I hope it's a good experience for all involved.

Hey, Funnies, I was just thinking, have you considered getting a rabbit that's bigger than a lionhead? Tiny rabbits seem to be popular as pets, but they're definitely not the only rabbits that can be good pets. I'm wondering if something a little bigger might be a better fit for you. Maybe you would find it easier to socialize with it if it's big enough that you don't feel like you have to pick it up to spend time with it and enjoy its company, if you're not feeling sure how to do that with a lionhead (or not feeling that it's very fulfilling to have that sort of relationship with something that's the size of a lionhead). Not all rabbits still like to be petted when they grow up, but there are a lot that still do; grooming each other is a very important part of rabbit social structure so many rabbits will like their people to pet them, even if it's a rabbit that doesn't like to be held much (Which is common). Breeds of rabbits that are commonly raised for meat or show can also make good pets (but you will want to talk to breeders to find out if they select for temperament in their rabbits and to find out if their rabbits are likely to make a suitable pet--I would suggest talking to the breeder about these sorts of things even if they breed for pets--and not all breeders sell pets). No matter what sort of rabbit you get, you'll want one that you can pick up and handle enough to trim its nails and take care of it and move it as needed and that sort of thing, even when it reaches puberty, but a rabbit doesn't need to like to be held more than that to be a great pet. :)

Back