Bringing Bunny on Trips

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnies50

Reaction score
Just wondering:

Can you take bunnies on airplanes? Does it affect them in any way?
I know you can take them on car trips (Coco went everywhere with me and got carsick after, like, two minutes) but I don't know about super long trips.
If you can take them on planes, do you know which airlines let bunnies on or if they charge more, etc.?
Please let me know if you know, cuz I may need to go to Alabama or something like that, and I can't leave a bunny at home.
Awkward :shock: :x
So yeah.

This may sound harsh, but my suggestion is that you postpone getting another rabbit until after your trip. Rabbits are delicate and do not travel well-- you need to put your pet's well-being ahead of your desires. You took Coco "everywhere" with you, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. :(

I agree with MaggieJ. Wait until you return to get another rabbit. I know you already have a new rabbit in mind, but it would be best to arrange for the breeder to keep and board the rabbit in familiar surroundings until you return home.

Alabama has completely different weather (high humidity, etc.) than Palm Desert Ca. It would be very stressful for the rabbit to go on a plane trip (some airlines do allow rabbits in under the seat carriers, and yes, they charge you for it), spend time in a different climate, and then have to make the return trip.

Show rabbits do often go on long trips (some of mine just got back from a National breed show, and were gone for 10 days), but almost all of them lost condition. Some people are not so lucky, and their rabbits return ill and must be culled... as in killed.

You just lost one rabbit, quite probably from stressing it out by taking it everywhere and bathing it multiple times. Do you really want to risk the life of another one?

Rabbits need to stay home in their "territory" as much as possible.
I'm sorry if I upset you by saying this, but i honestly believe it to be true, treating your previous rabbit like a lapdog is probably what killed it.
Do you really want to kill another one?

I hate to be harsh, but it seems like you learned nothing from your experience with Coco.

I don't think that I am alone when I say I am losing patience with you- we here at RabbitTalk all want what is best for the animals in our care, while you seem to want only what is best for you.

Rabbits are much too fragile and sensitive to be taken all over the place and be played with all of the time. Rabbits are not pack animals like dogs that want to be with their people above all else. They mostly just want to be left alone, or at least be in their own territory.

Yes, show rabbits travel, but they are left mostly to themselves in an environment that is familiar to them- a travel carrier with food and water- which is just a smaller version of their cage at home.

If you want a pet that you can take everywhere with you, get a dog. If you can't have a dog, get a mouse or rat, or maybe a small bird like a parakeet or cockatiel.

I also think that you should either wait to get another rabbit until after your trip, or find someone to take care of it while you're gone. When I was a teen, I sometimes did pet sitting for some of the neighbors, and was in charge of feeding/watering a rabbit once, so finding a petsitter is definitely doable. There's a friend of our family who is a professional petsitter. Maybe there's a professional pet-sitter near you, too, if you don't have a neighbor who can take care of it. Rabbits won't pine for you while you're gone, like a dog will, so it will be much happier staying at home with someone to give it food and water and clean out its cage as needed. Rabbits can travel when needed, but it is always a risk, even for someone who is very experienced; I definitely would say that it is a bad idea in your case to bring a rabbit with you on this trip.

Do you have anyone local who can help you learn how to take care of rabbits properly? It can be really hard to learn how to take care of a new animal on your own without guidance from someone more experienced, and rabbits are very delicate animals. :)

If there is some reason why a pet cannot be left at home, something like untrustworthy siblings for example, please reconsider bringing any more pets into your life at this time.

A compromised living situation like that is not at all fair to the animal.

Okay. I'll definitely not take it with me, though :shock:
Thanks guys :) Appreciate it. Ima have to figure something out :x <br /><br /> __________ Thu May 07, 2015 8:28 pm __________ <br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":2sjfjafj said:
I hate to be harsh, but it seems like you learned nothing from your experience with Coco.

I don't think that I am alone when I say I am losing patience with you- we here at RabbitTalk all want what is best for the animals in our care, while you seem to want only what is best for you.

Rabbits are much too fragile and sensitive to be taken all over the place and be played with all of the time. Rabbits are not pack animals like dogs that want to be with their people above all else. They mostly just want to be left alone, or at least be in their own territory.

Yes, show rabbits travel, but they are left mostly to themselves in an environment that is familiar to them- a travel carrier with food and water- which is just a smaller version of their cage at home.

If you want a pet that you can take everywhere with you, get a dog. If you can't have a dog, get a mouse or rat, or maybe a small bird like a parakeet or cockatiel.

Thanks MSD. I definitely won't take it on a plane o_O

I've had my buns about a month and the other day my brother was by and wanted to "help" feed my buns. :p So I gave him the cup with some food for Tartar, while I feed the other 2. I locked the gate and we headed to the house. About half way I heard the buns kicking and jumping around. :? So I went back to investigate. Tartar was staring at her feeder like it had just been poisoned. :x :lol: :lol: I stuck my hand in the pellets so it would have my sent versus my brothers. That did the trick and she dove nose first into her food.

To say the least I'm going to need a feeding and watering system if I ever want to leave the farm for more than 24 hours. :p :lol: :lol:

Back to the subject though. My in-laws youngest wants to take her 2 buns camping with them. Granted they have a camper but still. (Not that she'll listen :evil:) If you want a pet that can travel with you get a dog. My brother had a rat that went everywhere with him but I truly believe she was the exception and not the rule as far as rats go.

funnies50":kz1rzh8h said:
Okay. I'll definitely not take it with me, though :shock:
Thanks guys :) Appreciate it. Ima have to figure something out :x

__________ Thu May 07, 2015 8:28 pm __________

MamaSheepdog":kz1rzh8h said:

Thanks MSD. I definitely won't take it on a plane o_O

Please re-read what MSD wrote, and then read your response. I don't think ANY of the responses here are only about plane travel.

I get that you like rabbits, and want to show them off to your friends. There is another, safer way to do it. Bring your friends to your rabbit.

You may not realize that taking it everywhere stresses it out, but it does. Coco should have taught you that. I believe you truly care about animals, but you don't seem to be taking seriously the responsibility that comes along with owning one. Your pets depend on you to do what's best for them. They can't tell you, "No, I don't want to go to a strange new place", they rely on you knowing it's not a good idea. I may be wrong, but you seem to be saying, "Oh, I lost Coco, I'll just replace it and do exactly the same things I did before. It will be fine." That's why the good folks here are taking you to task a bit, including me.

It's not just about taking a rabbit on a plane.

I had a rabbit when I was a teen. Once she got past the baby stage, she didn't want to be held anymore or even petted much, and she was generally unfriendly. After that, I wondered why some people thought rabbits were good pets.

Now, of course, I understand that rabbits can have wildly different temperaments. One thing they all still have in common, though: every last one of them is at the bottom of the food chain. Everything that eats meat eats rabbits, and the rabbits know it.

This is something that many other animals do not have to deal with. Dogs and cats may not be at the top of the food chain, but they're decently close. Move into a new house, and a dog will think, "Cool! More places to play!". A cat will survey it and think, "More territory to add to my domain." A rabbit? "Oh, no! I don't know where I am! I'M GOING TO DIE! SOMETHING IS GOING TO EAT ME HERE!"

The thing is, the rabbit just might die, and for no reason other than the fact that it moved from one house to another and stressed out.

So the best way to take rabbits places is not to take rabbits places. Not even close places like restaurants or friends' houses.

Yes, when someone on the forum moves, many of us will post moving tips for the rabbits (ways to help keep them from stressing out), and we'll encourage the person who is moving that the rabbits should do fine. This is because they have no choice. Either they get rid of their rabbits, or they take them with them. It's a one-time trip, though, and chances are the rabbits actually will do fine. The chances are good because:
- It is a one-time trip.
- The person is already experienced with rabbits.
- Usually, the climate difference is not that big.

Sometimes, though, the rabbits are deeply affected by the trip, and never completely recover from it.

Those who show rabbits are taking a big risk, and they are aware of it. Many unscrupulous breeders will show their rabbits even when they know the rabbits are sick. Many people have lost rabbits after a show. Again, most rabbits do make it through fine, the owner is usually experienced with rabbits, etc. But there is a very real risk there that good breeders do their best to minimize.

Your trip, though... if you have to take the trip, I agree with the others. Either wait to get a bun until after you return, or find a responsible someone who can bunnysit for you. The rabbit is depending on you to do what is best for the rabbit.

funnies50":3t3ye341 said:
(Coco went everywhere with me and got carsick after, like, two minutes)

I have to say it worries me to read that. She 'got carsick'?? What do you mean by carsick? Rabbits can't vomit. Most rabbits find any sort of travel very scary and, as others have said, sometimes even die from it.

Rabbits are very delicate creatures. We have to be super cautious in everything we do with them, from not giving them unfamiliar food too quickly, to holding them the correct way. A rabbit can easily break it's own back just struggling to get loose.

Rabbits can be great pets, but they take a much different Kind of ownership than most other pets. They take a high level of commitment and a willingness to sacrifice our own desires, time, money and even needs in order to provide good homes for these creatures in our care.

It sounds as if you've already gotten a new rabbit. I truly hope you put the needs of the rabbit before your own. I know you joined the forum to ask questions and learn about responsible ownership. That is a great step toward being an excellent bunny owner, but it's frustrating for everyone when it looks as if you don't take the needs of these animals, and the very important advice from people who have raised rabbits for many years, seriously.

Everyone is bringing up great points.

Might I ask why a rabbit and not a dog? I understand personal preference but it seems you really want a pet that you can be more active with. :?

I say get a corgi and name it Bunny. That'd be almost the same thing, just better. :lol:

Butt-heart.jpg

I would say small but not tiny dog. Unless you want dress it like a doll and carry it in a bag.

Scratch that I know a number of tiny dogs that would rip your hand off for such mockery. :p :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":3coaritr said:
Everyone is bringing up great points.

Might I ask why a rabbit and not a dog? I understand personal preference but it seems you really want a pet that you can be more active with. :?

Our heck, even a cat might be a better choice. They don't require as much work, they can travel around...

Or...if it's the type of home where parents or authority figures will not help with veterinary care, vaccinations, and spay and or neuter costs...Maybe no animals at all until you are independent and have a stable home.

The next few years of your life are likely to be rather tumultuous.

A properly cared for rabbit can live 10+ years, cats and dogs much longer. If you do not know where you are going to be later this summer...it's going to be hard to take personal responsibility for an animal's lifetime.

Susie570":35llr32t said:
funnies50":35llr32t said:
(Coco went everywhere with me and got carsick after, like, two minutes)

I have to say it worries me to read that. She 'got carsick'?? What do you mean by carsick? Rabbits can't vomit. Most rabbits find any sort of travel very scary and, as others have said, sometimes even die from it.

Rabbits are very delicate creatures. We have to be super cautious in everything we do with them, from not giving them unfamiliar food too quickly, to holding them the correct way. A rabbit can easily break it's own back just struggling to get loose.

Rabbits can be great pets, but they take a much different Kind of ownership than most other pets. They take a high level of commitment and a willingness to sacrifice our own desires, time, money and even needs in order to provide good homes for these creatures in our care.

It sounds as if you've already gotten a new rabbit. I truly hope you put the needs of the rabbit before your own. I know you joined the forum to ask questions and learn about responsible ownership. That is a great step toward being an excellent bunny owner, but it's frustrating for everyone when it looks as if you don't take the needs of these animals, and the very important advice from people who have raised rabbits for many years, seriously.

I haven't gotten one just yet ... I know you guys get frustrated with me sometimes, and I know it sometimes sounds like I don't care; I really do, and I definitely have learned a lot from you. Sorry if I make it sound careless :(
And by carsick I mean she'd sit there and just look at me. I just called it 'carsick' because it sounded kind of funny...and I didn't really know what else to call it. :shock:

Back