Brindled Rex Kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a black otter doe who was bred to her RED half brother. The kits are castor, otter and this brindled kit.
Is this HARLEQUIN cause by the "ej" gene combined with itsef or "e"?
I know that I have "e" in my herd and have been adjusting to have LOTS of red kits,
which the universe has apparently sent me as the divine answer to my decades long request for CHILDREN with RED hair
[which I thought was now a moot point since my "baby" is 23] BUT WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?
Can I breed this kit to one of my broken red buns and end up with a tri :p
xpresso x decaf brindled kit1 (640x235).jpgxpresso x decaf brindled kit2 (640x305).jpgxpresso x decaf brindled kit3 (484x640).jpgxpresso x decaf brindled kit4 (306x640).jpg

cute! I bet the inbreeding brought out that hidden gene! You should be able to get some tri color if you breed for it. I am looking at that babies ears and i'm wondering if it's an otter harlequin.

I certainly hope so. MSD had something similar that looked like a squirrel and turned out to be a regular castor. Hoping for you, that this is a hidden ej gene.

skysthelimit":14zqaxm0 said:
MSD had something similar that looked like a squirrel and turned out to be a regular castor. Hoping for you, that this is a hidden ej gene.

I thought it was going to look like my little "chipmunk kit" too- but this one looks like an otter harlequin to me! :p How exciting! Congrats, Caroline!

MamaSheepdog":1s6gnss7 said:
skysthelimit":1s6gnss7 said:
MSD had something similar that looked like a squirrel and turned out to be a regular castor. Hoping for you, that this is a hidden ej gene.

I thought it was going to look like my little "chipmunk kit" too- but this one looks like an otter harlequin to me! :p How exciting! Congrats, Caroline!

That's what it was, chipmunk. I was hoping it would stay that way. Thought we could get a COD for a new color ;)

skysthelimit":1pjmhedu said:
I was hoping it would stay that way. Thought we could get a COD for a new color ;)

Me too. I was pretty disappointed when it changed. Oh well. (Sigh)

I don't think this kit is going to change though. :)

MamaSheepdog":3lwjkvht said:
Oh, that's too easy. I have blue. I have red...Atleast that's what i learned in physics class :cool:<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:28 pm __________<br /><br />
skysthelimit":3lwjkvht said:
MamaSheepdog":3lwjkvht said:

LOL!

Silver Marten!
I forgot to put that on the list. I already have 3 does and a buck. I really AM breeding for that. I didn't even think of them as "unrecognized" since I'm doing it on purpose.

caroline":rbhs7khl said:
MamaSheepdog":rbhs7khl said:
Oh, that's too easy. I have blue. I have red...Atleast that's what i learned in physics class :cool:
:rotfl: Soooooo, that is how it works!

you most likely will NOT get tri. bred to red you will most likely get red, castor, maybe more harlequin - and quite likely these weird harlequined castors (been there done that and they are very ugly). To get tri you'll need to get a tricolour OR sometimes you can breed to broken and get tricolour.

Breed it to a broken and see that you get. Not a solid you May get more non showables. I believe you will need the broken to possibly / hopefully get that pattern but broken, and hopefully not torted. It's cute.

a tri is a broken Harlequin. if i remember right Harlequin to broken red gives tri.

Back