Breeding Uncertainty

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mar574

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First time rabbit breeder here. Ive had a bumpy breeding road so far. First, I started with 2 males. Upon realization, I switched one male with a female about 40 days ago. The doe and buck lived in the same cage for 20 days, when the buck was finally put in its separate cage. Its been 40 days now and the female still has not given birth. I have tried to palpate on several occasions, but have had no luck. She looks noticeably pregnant however.

Should I give it another week or waiting before rebreeding?

THanks,
Mike

Hi Mike! :hi: Welcome to Rabbit Talk!

I don't think 40 days is unheard of, though pretty rare. Try putting her back in with the buck and see if he will breed her. Sometimes that is enough to start labor.

Otherwise, she may just be fat! :D

Have a look around the forum. It is a wealth of information.

Glad to have you with us! :D

Thanks for your quick response. Just put the down and buck back together. He does not seem interested at all in her. Thats hopefully a sign that shes pregnant?

I brought the doe to the buck. The buck eventually mounted but the doe remained in a tight balll for the whole time. Its unclear whether or not he successfully ejaculated.

Sounds like she wasn't into it. :)

Just keep her nest box in there until at least day 41. Otherwise, you need to slim her down and try to breed her again.

Rabbits love to keep you on your toes! :mrgreen:

If you didn't witness the breeding, how do you know that she is indeed pregnant? Has it been 40 days sense you separated them, or 40 days sense you got her? The reason I ask is because gestation is 28 to 35 days with 31 being the avrage...there are members that have had live litters after 40 days..but it is not very likely. ..

It has been exactly 42 days since I had the male and female; they lived together for the first 20 somewhat. On several occasions during those first 20 days I say the male and female trying to get it on, but did not separate them until the 20th day. I am assuming that during one of those first few encounters during the first week or so the doe successfully impregnated the female.

You are probably better off assuming THAT was the day she was bred, but I would leave the nest box in there just in case it was sometime before then. If she still hasn't kindled 40 days from the LAST day, you can assume she was never bred.

:yeahthat: I would keep the nest box and material for the nest..just hay..in the cage for 38 to 40 days after separating them too...just to be safe..you don't want kits on the wire..best of luck with the litter and the new bunns. And welcome to rabbit talk..this is a great place. Lots of info and friendly folks who love to talk about all things rabbit and other stuff too.... :D

Latest posts

Back