Breeding stock

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcrater

Reaction score
I still am trying to find Breeding stock Here in SW Texas. I have looked everywhere and it seems that all the breeders are on the other side of the state. I have not found any less than 200 miles from me. Does anyone know of any in my area? I live about 88 miles East of El Paso. I know I posted this question somewhere on here before..but for the life of me...I cannot find it. I guess i don't have a lot of computer savy. Anyway any help i could get on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike :)

I'm not in texas so I don't know many breeders, but the national convention for rabbits is being held in texas. Even if you're not able to go to it, that means that many people that know how to transport rabbits are going to be driving in all over the state.

Fortworth TX is hosting Convention the 1st week of November, so that's quite the opportunity! (Save your pennies! You can shop around, but stock can be pretty pricey.) I'm not sure what breed you are looking for, but usually right after the breed is judged and placing are done, you literally see SO MANY for sales signs go up. Some are already put for sale but usually they want to clear out their barns to make room for their upcoming offspring. You can also watch facebook ARBA sales groups, starting in October, you will see a lot of breeders putting stock for sale and a lot of transportation being offered.

What breed are you looking for?

I couldn't find the quality or style of Mini Lop anywhere near GA. Most of mine come from Oregon and a few from a breeder thats been in for 30+ years in Kansas. We usually swap/make our buys at convention or nats if they are close enough. Portland Oregon is going to be too far for 2015 though!

There is always Dr. Lukefahr out in Kingsville. How far is that from you? I drove three hours one way to get my breeding stock from him and am very happy that I did.

Ever come out to Austin? If not, would you be willing to drive to Austin to buy your stock? I say this because there are several breeders with good stock in the area. You could probably come see 3-4 breeders in one trip if you came out here. Just a thought.

Joe

Hello MrCrater, and welcome to RabbitTalk!

In an effort to ensure the safety of our members we require that people new to RabbitTalk looking for or selling rabbits post in the Buy, Sell, and Trade forum. It is a post-limited forum, and you must have a minimum of 20 posts on RabbitTalk before you can post there. This is stated in the forum description: "ALL buy/sell/trade threads must be posted here."

If you did not see this note in the description, we apologize. We have this policy so that our members can get to know you before you ask them to do business with you, and are working to make this rule more visible to new members.

mrcrater":1m4xnbhz said:
I know I posted this question somewhere on here before..but for the life of me...I cannot find it.

Your original post can be found in Welcome to RabbitTalk:

post231783.html#p231783

In the above post you mention that you once had 90-100 rabbits, which indicates that you have a great deal of experience that would be helpful to our members. Please share with us! :D

I think you will find it wont take very long for you to reach the posting limit so you can start a new thread in the Buy, Sell, and Trade forum. :)

Until then, I would suggest consulting the ARBA breeder's listing to see if you can find a breeder near you.

https://www.arba.net/breeders.htm

Another option would be to find and attend a show in your area.

https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php

Thank you for your understanding! We look forward to getting to know you! :)

:welcomewagon:

If you are close to El Paso, you might have luck looking in NM. I am about 90 miles SW of Odessa/Midland. I am still working the kinks out of my herd, but I do know a couple of people here and in Odessa who may have some breeding age stock for sale, or that will be breeding age by Fall if you can't find anything closer.

I'm sure you probably have climate issues like I do, so I wouldn't get rabbits from to far east TX. They won't be able to handle the dry convection oven heat as well as something raised more local to you. Let me know what you come up with. I forget if the El Paso Livestock Show handles rabbits, but you might be able to find a kid getting rid of their meat pen now that shows are over.

Latest posts

Back