Breeding rabbits with snuffles

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more interested that he is kept far enough away from the others to avoid contagion.

Northwinds Rabbitry":u609bgeg said:
Thanks squidpop for that info:)
Ya I can't say for sure if it is "snuffles" cause he never got mated front feet etc and now he seems ok??? I'm confused lol.
I will do some research on that swell:) do know if they sell it in Canada?
Thanks
I'm sure they sell the azithromycin also called zithromax in Canada- but it might be hard finding a Vet the will write a prescription for it since using it on rabbits is a new thing. Its commonly used on people. It would pay off to find a vet that specializes in rabbits. I had to drive two hours to the next town to find one but it was worth it.

I may be in the minority here, but since you don't know for a fact it is snuffles, the answers here are all moot. What you are describing doesn't sound like snuffles to me. Rabbits can and do have allergies which cause snot. Change of seasons can cause snot. They can also have respiratory distress which causes snot. All of these can be cured entirely or can go away on their own.

I agree, while true snuffles cannot be cured, just because a rabbit sneezes or has a little snot doesn't necessarily mean it is suffering from snuffles. Snuffles is a catch-all term used just like a human cold. If I sneeze and have snot, I must have a cold, even tho when I go to the Dr, I may have any number of other issues.

I would say, if you are really concerned about this bunny, take him to the vet and get a true & accurate prognosis, then go from there. If you have a lot of money already tied up into this rabbit, and he is perfect for everything you want to do and achieve, then a personal mis-diagnosis is going to be a lot more costly than a vet visit.
If he truly has snuffles, then I think we all agree there is no cure and he should be euthanized to prevent contagion to the rest of your rabbitry, but if he doesn't, then likely he can be cured and used in the way you intended when you purchased him.

be aware that even "recovered" he is still a carrier.

So your question should not be.. should I breed him? But your question should be.... do I want to expose my does to a Pasturella carrier? AND do I want to risk breeding this into my lines?

He will remain a carrier all his life.

if you want to be sure... get a titer done.

Two options, two kinds of people.

Breed for resistance. SO breed the two, keep the kits, cull the parents and any kits who get snot, keep kits with clear noses.

Kill everything with any trace of snot. Self explanitory, hope new rabbits who are resistant don't bring it in and decimate your vulnerable stock. Since they have zero immunity to it.

I've been told those test can be expensive and inconclusive.

I also would not breed a rabbit with allergies.<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am __________<br /><br />
Secuono":pcppnxhr said:

Breed for resistance. SO breed the two, keep the kits, cull the parents and any kits who get snot, keep kits with clear noses.

Kill everything with any trace of snot. Self explanitory, hope new rabbits who are resistant don't bring it in and decimate your vulnerable stock. Since they have zero immunity to it.

I cull for snot, not to keep exposure down, because I show, and I take my animals out in public, so they are already exposed. but it's expensive to test and treat for Pasteurella, well past the actual cost of the rabbit. For one pet yes, but considering a have a whole barn full, and the fragility of rabbits besides that, it's easier, and more economical to cull. Even with my most expensive rabbit, whether it's a DQ, an allergy, and illness, it's not worth passing anything down the line physically or genetically to save one animal. I just sent a $100 Rex to the snake man for $15, because she produced white spots with every litter, although she had large litters and had the fastest growth rate. So I don't begrudge anyone when they say they keep or cull for whatever reasons, as long as they are properly informed and are willing to count the cost.

Secuono":1lo2mc2p said:

The theory behind culling those with symptoms is NOT to keep and create a herd of the fragile ones, but to cull the fragile ones...the ones that actually contract the disease. The ones that stay healthy are ones with strong immune systems, and those are the ones you want to keep and breed.

My thoughts.
I personally have no wiggle room for any immune compromised breeding stock. No matter how good an animal looks, how rare it is, how sweet it is, how much has been invested. It's not worth the anxiety of risking mine or someone elses hard work. If one is selling stock, it can propell or cripple someone elses future in the fancy. Thru experience, I have learned to not allow myself excuses or exceptions on certain problems (immune, congenital, hereditary) that a breeding animal can pass on. I make decisions using caution and compassion. 

I hope everyone understands that I tried very hard not to respond to this thread but I couldn't help myself.
I don't want to sound harsh or insensitive to your problem, but I don't want to buy or be around anyone's stock that even thinks about trying to treat for any Pasturella symptoms.

If you think you might ever want to sell any of your stock, you have a responsibility to protect your rabbits and anyone else s rabbits and you should cull immediately. You should not ever sell that rabbit to anyone or sell any rabbits that have come in contact with that rabbit or with you as long as you have that rabbit.

You can expose this disease to hundreds of rabbits if you sell or give away any of your rabbits to someone else.

I hope you understand that you are responsible for any disease that your rabbit spreads to other rabbits.

I don't like being the bad guy here and I don't want to offend you but you can kill a lot of your rabbits and possibly a lot of some one else s rabbits by not culling this one rabbit.

Thanks again for all the replies however I don't want this to get out of hand either.
Beekeeper10 I totally understand your side:) and imo you arentbthe "bad guy" I really appreciate the help.
I have made up my mind........I will not be breeding him instead replacing him for a hopefully just as good or better buck:) I understand snuffles isn't curable (as I have experienced ).

Thanks again all you guys for the help! Gave me lots of good info

Back