Breeding Issues in Pac NW

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I am many other breeders have had a poor 6 months breeding. the common thread is we all source from the same mill (will not name). What is missing from their feed? We are changing next week...
thx

I think it really depends on what exactly is in the feed you are feeding, what does the bag say? What is supposed to be in it? Paula over at Homesteading Northwest http://stumpacres.com/hsnw/index.php might be able to help you I know she went through several feed providers for her rabbits and can tell you who/what she's had issues with...

Even the label does not necessarily tell the whole story. Some essential vitamins - notably Vitamins A and E - can be lost during processing or afterwards due to improper or prolonged storage.

Feed both sunflower and oats for vitamin E (sunflower) and better use of the vitamin E (oats). Some sources of vitamin A are carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, kale and cantaloupe.

Those are good sources of Vitamin E, Arachyd. Wheat germ (2 teaspoons daily per rabbit) or wheat germ oil (5-6 drops) can also be used.

Vitamin A is found in dark leafy greens such as dandelion, parsley, carrot tops etc. You can google for other sources.

These things are only going to help if the problem lies with a deficiency of these nutrients. There could be other causes of failed breedings. But certainly adding these supplements, in normal amounts, will do the rabbits no harm. I remember one person on HT who was expeiencing similar problems. (Silosounds, if you want to look up his posts). There was a dramatic improvement when he added fresh sprouts (grains sunflowers and so forth) to his rabbits' diet. Even I was amazed!

I have given three cages free choice (canadian) kelp.

One cage of junior does ate all of it overnight; I just gave some to a cage of weanlings with their mom---they are eating away...

Latest posts

Back