Boy or girl?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offherrocker

Reaction score
I was gonna check my older buck and compare....but he shredded my hand when I went to check him lol.
This is one of the kits from my castor doe and broken buck. I am not sure how old it is either.

Attachments

• 20230330_173557.jpg
    20230330_173557.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
If they are mature then it is a doe, but if they are young I cannot tell. (different breeds mature at different rates but generally they will have fully mature genitals at about 20 weeks)

Try sexing more like this. Pinch the base of the tail between your index and ring finger and gently pull down on it. Simultaneously. Put your thumb on the “fluff ball” above the genitals and push down and slightly toward the head.

If they are mature then it is a doe, but if they are young I cannot tell. (different breeds mature at different rates but generally they will have fully mature genitals at about 20 weeks)

Try sexing more like this. Pinch the base of the tail between your index and ring finger and gently pull down on it. Simultaneously. Put your thumb on the “fluff ball” above the genitals and push down and slightly toward the head.
I just found out earlier today that that is a 7 week old kit as of yesterday....its been off mom since I picked up they rabbits and hutches last thursday. I thought they were supposed to be with mom longer than 6 weeks...?

I just found out earlier today that that is a 7 week old kit as of yesterday....its been off mom since I picked up they rabbits and hutches last thursday. I thought they were supposed to be with mom longer than 6 weeks...?
6-8 weeks is the recommended minimum age, however they can be weened successfully before this as kits will stop drinking milk/naturally ween at about 4 weeks. With that said, it is definatly not advised to sell them before 8 weeks, kits are quite prone to stress illness within the 6-10 week period so most people know not to send them to new homes before week 10.
https://www.raising-rabbits.com/weaning-rabbits.html

Kits can be weaned at 4 weeks, but most of us like to keep them with the dam longer. Any bunny that does not look robust doesn't leave the barn, but I regularly wean at 5-6 weeks and send bunnies to their new homes between 6-8 weeks and haven't any issues. In fact for market pens, 4-Hers in our state have to take possession of the rabbits by 6 weeks of age.

Latest posts

Back