Botfly/Cuterebra/warble: removal and wound care (?)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bantambunnies

Reaction score
Today I found a botfly larva/cuterebra/warble in my buck's testicle. :x
I've been keeping an eye on him, since that testicle has been hard and a little bit swollen for well over a year now. There didn't seem to be an active infection and he was healthy, so I left it alone once the wound in it healed (see my previous thread here: post236972.html#p236972 ).
But today it was WAY more swollen than usual and - there was a hole (maybe 1/4 in. across?) with a big ugly black worm head sticking out!

So of course, I went here first and did some research. Then I got my supplies together and got started on removing the ooky larva.

First I heated up a dish of water in the microwave with 1 tsp salt in it. I put it in the fridge to cool.
I got my Vaseline - I only had a little tube of it, because of course nobody can find the tub of it when we need it. I poured some vegetable oil in a little dish; I figured I'd need it if I ran out of Vaseline. I know mineral oil is suggested, but we only had baby oil and skin-so-soft (both are mineral oil, but with scent). Vegetable oil is more natural, anyway, and I thought it might be safer than the baby oil.
I used tweezers. I also used LOTS of Q-tips and some cotton balls. Have some tissue handy - I didn't, and was sorry.
I sat down on my front porch and laid the rabbit on his back on top of an old towel, facing outward. I propped him up on either side with my legs. (It was kinda hot, so I had someone get me a plastic bag of ice to lay against his side to cool him off.)
I alternated smothering the larva's head with Vaseline and pouring vegetable oil on it. (Can I say EW! :sick: ) I noticed that as soon as I did this, brown liquid started oozing out of the hole. Was that blood, or was that some kind of worm fluid?
This part of the process took a long time - maybe half an hour - because I kept waiting for the worm to come out far enough for me to grab it with the tweezers.
**If you're doing a cuterebra removal, BE CAREFUL with your tweezers! If you rupture/puncture the worm, it could release a toxic liquid into the hole which could prove fatal to your rabbit.** (At least, that's what I've read!)
Finally I realized that that worm wasn't going to come out far enough for me to grab it without puncturing it. What I did was I worked the tweezers carefully into the hole, between the skin and the larva. Then, the next time it emerged from the hole, I firmly squeezed the body with the tweezers - being careful not to pop it! I slowly but firmly pulled it out of the hole. This took several seconds, but FINALLY the gross little thing popped out! SUCCESS! (If anyone wants a photo, I can post one.)
I don't think I ruptured it, but some clear liquid did drip off of it as I removed it. To be sure, I immediately flushed the hole with the saltwater I'd prepared earlier, and which was now lukewarm.
I repeated the saltwater rinse a few times, and then dried the hole with Q-tips. To be sure there was nothing ooky still in there, I dripped some hydrogen peroxide into the hole and got inside with the Q-tips. After it foamed, I rinsed it again with the saltwater and dried the hole with Q-tips.
At this point, I didn't have any kind of antibiotic or anything handy besides Neosporin, so I followed the suggestion of some on RT and dripped *raw honey* into the hole. I made sure it was well in there and wiped off the excess.
Then I popped him back in his cage with a slice of banana. I cleaned up my mess (and I did make a mess) and jumped right in the shower!

For those of you who have experience with this kind of thing: what now? Was the honey a good idea? It's not manuka honey, but it is raw. I figured it'd be better than nothing. I can do topical and oral treatments, but I've never injected anything and I don't feel confident in my ability to try.
I'll continue to keep an eye on him for now and make sure that hole stays clean. He sure was a trooper through the whole thing - he hardly struggled at all.
At this point I'm really considering neutering... especially since I noticed some strange little white dots on the testicles today as well. If only it wasn't so darn expensive.

BLECH!!! :sick: Those things are DISGUSTING!!!

I have only had to deal with one (when I saw it, I thought it was a bunny-berry that had somehow gotten stuck to my doe's dewlap. If only!) and I used raw honey in the wound.

I don't know if it is just hype about Manuka honey or if there is something extra special about it, but all raw honey is antibacterial and excellent for wounds.

I did have to express pus from the wound tract twice, but it eventually healed up and once the wound closed the infection never returned. You don't want to rush the closing of the wound, so don't use neosporin on it or anything that encourages healing from the outside in.

I would see about maybe putting some type of fly repellent on his testes though. The last thing he needs now is an infestation of a different type of maggot. *Shudder!*

You did a really thorough job, and the salt rinse was an excellent idea.

:judges:

Hopefully between that and the honey you wont see any infection. :clover:

OK, just reading this makes me queasy, but great job taking care of it! (I had "regular" maggots get into the vent area of one of mine - too heavy to clean herself and things got impacted, then infected... I am having flashbacks to the nastiness that was that adventure :sick: ).

So, what exactly are these things? I can't say I have ever had experience with them (at least, not that I am aware of!).

heritage":1ix545ry said:
So, what exactly are these things?

The biggest maggots you have ever seen. Like I said, I thought the end of the one in my rabbit was a bunny berry from a full grown rabbit. The maggot was over an inch long.

Oh- a word of caution if you ever have to remove one and are pulling it out- they contract their bodies so that their diameter is too great to be pulled from the entrance hole. It takes a lot of patience to get them out without ripping them apart.

bantambunnies":1ix545ry said:
(If anyone wants a photo, I can post one.)

I think Heritage wants to see. :twisted: At least that's what she thinks now. ;)

MamaSheepdog":3cgceiy8 said:
heritage":3cgceiy8 said:
So, what exactly are these things?

The biggest maggots you have ever seen. Like I said, I thought the end of the one in my rabbit was a bunny berry from a full grown rabbit. The maggot was over an inch long.

Oh- a word of caution if you ever have to remove one and are pulling it out- they contract their bodies so that their diameter is too great to be pulled from the entrance hole. It takes a lot of patience to get them out without ripping them apart.

bantambunnies":3cgceiy8 said:
(If anyone wants a photo, I can post one.)

I think Heritage wants to see. :twisted: At least that's what she thinks now. ;)
Oooooh.... that's so mean! :twisted: :lol:

I will admit, I am curious to a fault though...

MamaSheepdog":2wcg5y80 said:
I would see about maybe putting some type of fly repellent on his testes though. The last thing he needs now is an infestation of a different type of maggot. *Shudder!*

You did a really thorough job, and the salt rinse was an excellent idea.
Thank you! :D Fly repellent... that is a wise thought.

True. I think the key is just to hold on tight while they wiggle - they'll slowly wiggle themselves out of the holes if you hold on and pull gently.

If you say so... ;)
I took this just now - several hours after I removed it, so it's dead and contracted. It looks a lot bigger stretched out :sick:

Attachments

• !!!botfly.jpg
    !!!botfly.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,494
Was it white when you pulled it out? we used to get them in the cows and would just squeeze them out of the hole. Just had to make sure you squeezed steady and they would pop out and we'd step on them. They were always white with a dark head.

ladysown":1gw7oyiv said:
Was it white when you pulled it out? we used to get them in the cows and would just squeeze them out of the hole. Just had to make sure you squeezed steady and they would pop out and we'd step on them. They were always white with a dark head.
No, I'm pretty sure it was dark all over. Actually, I tried squeezing it out, but it didn't work - the hole actually turned out not to be where I thought it was. The whole thing was pretty swollen up, so I couldn't tell.

heritage":1gw7oyiv said:
Oh wow... I just can't even imagine! I can see that being a torture device in some murder mystery novel or something :x
I know! So gross. <br /><br /> -- Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:03 pm -- <br /><br /> He's doing okay this morning. He ate a little last night (maybe not as much as usual) and drank water. He's alert.
Unfortunately, it does look like the hole has either healed or swelled shut. There's white tissue blocking the opening, and the whole outside is swollen and hard. :( I tried wiping it with a little hydrogen peroxide, but not much happened. When I squeezed it, I saw some clear bubbles, but there didn't seem to be any pus or much discharge.
So I'm not sure where to go from here.

As for fly repellent - we read that basil repels flies, so I dug up a basil plant and put in the empty cage next to him. I also rubbed his fur with basil. Hopefully that will hold off the flies until I have something better. He wasn't interested in eating the basil, though.

Just hoping this guy makes it through :clover:

Back