Boarding Bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladycrotalus

Reaction score
Background- I am 28 yrs old and still live at home with the parents in upstate new york. Never could find an affordable place that allowed pets. I have 18 rabbits. Some are getting up there in age.
I met a guy who i am absolutely in love with and the feeling is mutual, and plan on moving in with him this summer. Problem is he lives with his parents because they are elderly and he takes care of them. They live in the suburbs in northern virginia and the home owners association will not even allow them to build a shed let alone hutches. So, im stressing out about finding homes for my precious bunnies and today while feeding and watering i started getting misty eyed thinking about rehoming them.
Then it hit me, what about seeing if i can find someone who would board them probably long term but i would use my own caging, own food, own bedding and would go every single day to take care of them. SO, thoughts on this?

if I recall, there is some decent horse country in northern Va--perhaps a self-care stable may fit your needs.

me...I'd suggest that the elderly parents move out of the Home Owner's Association place..but then I'm grumpy. ;)

Along with checking out the stables in the area, is there anyone with a large garden center? ...not just the store front, but the actual greenhouses/growing farm? that might be a great place. they could use the rabbit manure for organic fertilizer, you get plenty of greens for the buns :)

Where ever you end up, make sure you have the agreement IN WRITING. Signed and witnessed. Also, some sort of security setup that you're comfortable with. If it's a place with children, you might have some problems with kids wanting to open cages and play with 'the cute little bunnies'.

I despise the home owners association. People who spend alot of money one these homes being told what they can and cannot do with them. My boyfriend told me they are not even allowed to have a little storage shed built.

Im not moving until this semester of college is over. So i have a while. Anyone good with legal mumbo jumbo to help me word out an agreement? Someone on rabbit habbit suggested i join pet chickens of virginia forums. I did and posted so hopefully someone there will wanna board my bunnies and chickens. If its stables i don't mind mucking stalls and feeding and watering the horses. I love horses although i don't have much experience handling them yet. I will be learning more about horses this semester. My college adviser's husband breeds and trains quarter horses and she often brings a horse to the college for education purposes. There are colleges down near where i am going so i hope to finish my degree in veterinary science after i get settled and work for a bit to pay for it.

Excellent idea about the pet chickens. If they can have chickens, they'll be able to have rabbits. Would be nice to keep them together. Good luck with it.

As to the agreement....I'd just set out on paper what you expect from the situation. Whether it's you paying to rent a "shed", or space; if the person who is renting you the space is helping with care; what is provided by the landlord; How much space you're getting; how much advanced warning you need if they want you to move the animals; who is responsible for damages (both if your rabbits ruin a barn by chewing through it or if your rabbits are damaged by their dog, etc.)

Where will you be located? I am in Central VA. It may be too far for you to drive everyday, but I may be able to help you out if need be. We have chickens, quail, guineas, pea fowl, and of course rabbits.

I am a member of pet chickens too, but I don't post there very much. I go by the same name over there. Also, may I suggest http://www.eastcoastchickens.com Lots of good people there, and I know that there are some in the Northern VA area, as well as Southern Maryland. I go by Stratmoore Farms on ECC.

I will be located in Chantilly, VA. How far are you? I love peafowl. I really love my guineas, when they do that loud sound i just think its so adorable and everyone said i would get sick of them but im not, before i met lary i was thinking of getting more at the spring poultry swap meet here.

According to Mapquest, Chantilly is 164 miles or 3 hours 9 minutes from me. As I said, a bit far to travel daily, but if all else fails, I can help probably help out. Especially if you need something temporary until you get a better set up with someone else.

on the topic of homeowners asociations, there is a good Xfiles episode where the "boss" of the association conjured this demon monster dirt thing, and anyone who broke ANY rules was toast...be careful, lol. :)

Shara":3ltu63ob said:
on the topic of homeowners asociations, there is a good Xfiles episode where the "boss" of the association conjured this demon monster dirt thing, and anyone who broke ANY rules was toast...be careful, lol. :)
but remember-- the 'boss' got set up, the monster killed him, and as a result, the monster died off (black magic dies when the conjurer dies)

Yeah, after Scully and Mulder saved the day. :) I wish they would bring back the xfiles with the original people. :(

You will figure it out. :)

Oakville Shooter":g8lb5jvx said:
According to Mapquest, Chantilly is 164 miles or 3 hours 9 minutes from me. As I said, a bit far to travel daily, but if all else fails, I can help probably help out. Especially if you need something temporary until you get a better set up with someone else.

Thanks alot for the offer. It is a bit too far but if all else fails i am happy to have the offer.

Back