Black Otter vs. Chestnut colors at birth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
What are some differences I could look for to tell the difference between a newborn black otter kit and a chestnut one. I know the difference will be apparent in a few days I'm sure, but I've got a peanut that probably won't live that long, and I'd love to know for sure what color he is. Helps me figure out some genetics. Thanks!

MamaMandy":11zxrd3m said:
What are some differences I could look for to tell the difference between a newborn black otter kit and a chestnut one. I know the difference will be apparent in a few days I'm sure, but I've got a peanut that probably won't live that long, and I'd love to know for sure what color he is. Helps me figure out some genetics. Thanks!

Somewhere I have a thread where I asked the same question and I posted picts. My otters have not been born with a tan triangle at the nape, that does not come in till they are getting a junior coat, the back of the neck is naked till about 6 weeks.

I still cannot tell at birth, but it sure was obvious at day three. It's pretty hard until them.

__________ Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:18 pm __________

things-are-looking-up-t9223.html?hilit=%20otter

they were born saturday the 11th, this pict is tuesday the 14th.

Awesome Sky! Thanks! You know...after looking at your pics I'm thinking I may have an otter and a chestnut. The one I'm thinking might be a chestnut has light colored dots at the front of his eyes like your castor did in the pic. The peanut seems to be a bit darker than the other one, and also has a pink nape, so I'm thinking he may be a black otter.

Back