bifurcated penis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I have a netherland 8 week old with 2 ends to his penis. It splits at the very end to have 2 holes. 1 hole keeps getting clogged with white strings. It's dry at the end and I see no swelling but I don't know if it's infection deep down coming up dry when it finally reaches the outside, bad skin growth possibly related to his problem, or what. I'm debating if I should send him off as a pet as intended or just pet food. He's in good flesh but I'm hearing weird grunting, whimpering from the buck pen with no one else showing a sign of anything. I can't prove it's him though and he's as active as the rest of those lazy bottomless pits. I'm not sure what to do with him...

cull him. seriously.. the stupid things that pet owners do and what they fail to notice... just cull him rather than risk him.

UNLESS you do a FULL disclosure with signed documentation as to exactly what care he'll need in the future (aka.. keeping it clean, vet support may be needed in the future etc).

I was under the impression these things don't normally cause problems or need care except with breeding and that's why they are culled. The white lines I keep pulling out one side just had me wondering.

as I've never dealt with it, and what you described it sounded like an issue that would require continued care. And when I deal with pet rabbits that have issues... I always emphasize the worst scenario so that they know it might NOT be an issue, but if it is an issue I as the breeder need to know you'd be prepared to deal with that.

That, to me, would be a reason to cull-- as in terminate-- the presence of 'white strings' means both tips are not working equally-- this imbalance could very well affect the number of things that can go, oh so wrong-- The Virginia Oppossum has a bifurcated penis-- but here in the US, it's life expectancy is ONLY two summers-- with one winter in between-- they die in their second winter, Take an animal with a longer life expectancy, throw in an unusual 'defect' and what are the chances of a massive infection showing up?( of course, the bifurcated penis may really stimulate a doe!)

Think of how many people can't even keep their pet's nails trimmed or handle other routine care... better to cull him now and save him from a miserable end.

Back