Need advice ASAP. Kits are here, or rather KIT is here, and we wont be.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxmarblebuns

Reaction score
Yesterday morning dahlia finally started pulling fur (on day 33). I had to leave for school so wasn't able to stick around to keep an eye on her, but luckily my dad was home. She had a pink kit early in the day (around 10:00), and a black kit later on. Mama is very protective, I didn't expect any less, so they kept their distance for the most part. Around 3:00 my dad vaguely check and was pretty sure ind died, and when I got home around 6:00 I was able to confirm it had.

Both kits were in good shape, well fed, very big, and have quite a bit of fur for new borns (I assume because they are slightly late and there was only two, they probably developed a little more in utero). Mama has kept the remaining black kit well fed and made one hell of a nest.

Here is where I need advice. We are leaving tomorrow to go to my grandmothers, for the next three days, on the other side of the state. We will be gone Friday night to Sunday morning. The forecast is pictured. The rabbits are in a wood hutch in a carport that only stays 1-2 degrees warmer that outside. She made a very good nest with lots of fur and has been keeping up with feeding the kit, but I worry it may be too cold over night.

We have two options:

1( keep them outside and hope for the best. Mama will take care well, but I am worried it may be too cold over night for the singular kit.

2( I have a friend with a polish litter of 6 born yesterday that is willing to foster. I am worried that my kit, being much bigger, may overtake that litter. Plus fosters don't always work.

What would you guys do??? Anyone have a similar expiriance?

(This has only happened once like 8 years ago and we did foster successfully, but it was to a rabbit of similar size)

20240509_091541.jpg20240509_091609.jpg20240509_091628.jpg20240509_091441.jpgScreenshot_20240509-091905_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Back