best auto watering system

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnygardener

Reaction score
I want to install an auto watering system, but I'm not sure which is the best. It will be gravity fed. I've seen some that use 3/16" tubing that can be obtained in black(less algae growth) that use brass nipples. Then there are some less expensive stainless steel nipples that use clear 5/16" tubing. Anyone recommend one over the other and what problems should I try to avoid. I'm going to set it for 10 cages, 5 on each side of "barn". How easily does it freeze? :?

I have 10 holes rigged with the system that uses 5/16 inch clear tubing. It works well, I check the valves every day during hot weather to ensure they are working well and flush the system every month with a vinegar water mix to keep the tubing clean inside or algae will start.

Stainless, they didn't have brass in stock (wanted brass as I've always heard they last longer). I switch to crocks in the winter, it freezes hard up here in Canada.

Green algae shows the water is not toxic and might add some oxigen to the water.
I hate tap water that kills the fish with it's toxicity.

i'm in the middle of building myself a auto system to.. i've heard only bad things about stainless nipples. if they were american made i would trust them. but i could only find ones from China and the reviews were not good(rusting, leaking, ect..)

i got 10 *brass nipples with mounting backets for 30$ on Ebay.

oh and on the auto-water system subject. im thinking about trying to attach a toilet valve system inside a bucket to keep it topped up with water. something for you to think about.

The "best" auto watering system would be pvc pipe, with a return to your bucket, and a pond pump installed to circulate the water in the winter. If you build a cabinet around your bucket, you can put a small space heater in there to keep the water warm.

I have the brass valves from BASS Equipment.

You should check out Bass Equipment located in Monett, Missouri they have all kind of parts and brass auto water nibblers for $ 3.25 which I use. I have 2 different setups for my bunnies. The first one is set up with a 30 gal plastic barrel turned on its side with a 1/2" pvc threaded male fitting screwed into the bung. From there I have a in line shut off to a tee splitting off to 7 cages. The second is only a cat litter bucket with a bulkhead from lowes installed at the bottom of the bucket, then a shut off to a tee to 2 brass auto nibblers.

Grumpy, thanks for the link. I will read it carefully. I see that you used pvc. I had been going to use the flexible tubing because I will have to move the rabbitry to its proper location once I can get someone to cut down a number of dead trees that might fall on my bunnies. So I thought the flexible stuff would be easier to rearrange later. But I worry about it freezing.

I have the system with the 3/16" tubing. I don't remember now whether the stainless steel or the brass drinking tips. I also have the 5-gallon bucket with a float valve that is automatically refilled from a water hose.

Back