Because of Rabbit Talk..........

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I was looking at a litter of kits tonight that is half that doe's and half a junior doe's who got her order of business in the wrong order and thought, without Rabbit Talk I wouldn't have noticed Silver was over feeding her own kits, known how to foster Marbles kits on to her when Marbles started digging her new nest and throwing her kits about, known how to take Silver's bloated kits away for two feedings so they would thin down enough to be healthy and let Marbles kits catch up.

Without Rabbit Talk I wouldn't now use fingerless welding gloves and a canvas jacket to move rabbits around my rabbitry fearlessly either.

In fact, without Rabbit Talk I wouldn't be a happy, confident, rabbitaholic at all! :shock:

Thanks guys, way to enable! :D

GBov, I am with you there!! I have learned so much from everyone here that it is the ONLY website about rabbits that I tell everyone about! Anyone that I sell a bunny to gets told about RT and anyone else I happen to buy rabbits from I tell about RT if they are not already a member. :lol:

Okay...Back up. Your doe is throwing her kits around?! Is that because she is due to have another litter and is that what a doe might do in that situation? (See, I rely on RT for information such as this too.) ;)
I have a doe with 3-week old kits and I'm pretty sure she is pregnant. If you think that's irresponsible of me, let me explain. This doe normally has 4-6 kits but only delivered 2 small kits and then nothing. I put her with a buck to induce her to have (what I thought was) the rest of the litter. Still nothing.
So that is where we stand and, unless she retained one or more kits, there were only 2 in that litter with more kits expected in 9 days.
I bred another doe on the same day so I may be able to foster the new kits to that doe.
Can anyone give me advice or share details of a similar experience?
To the administrators: If this post should be in the Breeding section, please relocate it.

Sagebrush":3fs6ob02 said:
GBov, I am with you there!! I have learned so much from everyone here that it is the ONLY website about rabbits that I tell everyone about! Anyone that I sell a bunny to gets told about RT and anyone else I happen to buy rabbits from I tell about RT if they are not already a member. :lol:

:lol: Me too! Anyone who even inquires about my CL add gets a link to RT. <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 28, 2014 7:53 am __________ <br /><br />
carolnoel50":3fs6ob02 said:
Okay...Back up. Your doe is throwing her kits around?! Is that because she is due to have another litter and is that what a doe might do in that situation? (See, I rely on RT for information such as this too.) ;)
I have a doe with 3-week old kits and I'm pretty sure she is pregnant. If you think that's irresponsible of me, let me explain. This doe normally has 4-6 kits but only delivered 2 small kits and then nothing. I put her with a buck to induce her to have (what I thought was) the rest of the litter. Still nothing.
So that is where we stand and, unless she retained one or more kits, there were only 2 in that litter with more kits expected in 9 days.
I bred another doe on the same day so I may be able to foster the new kits to that doe.
To the administrators: If this post should be in the Breeding section, please relocate it.

She was a first time mother so she had her kits and THEN started making a nest. But she was making the nest, digging it all out of the nest box and then making it again. And again. And again. And each time the kits were dug out and tossed about with the hay and fur. They wouldnt have survived much of that kind of treatment so Silver got them instead of the dogs. The dogs get all dead kits so its nice to save some.

Oh, five days ago I found a doe in heat distress. Guess who is responsible for my knowing how to spot it and how to save her? Yep, RT! :cool:

Without rabbittalk I probably would have less rabbits, more free time, and more freezer space, and the ability to go on vacation every once in a while.....but I'm okay with how things are turning out.

I wish I had found RT before I got my first rabbits! I lost the first litter on the wire, and who knows... if I had known that "they aren't dead until they are warm and dead", I may have saved them.

I wouldn't have known to check a doe's color before trying to breed her, or the optimum height for water valves or feeders, or to rest the meat in the fridge, or, or, or... oh, so many things!

Worst of all I wouldn't know that I am not alone in suffering from Raging Rabbitosis, or have the friendship and camaraderie of my fellow Rabbitosis afflicted fellows. :cool:

carolnoel50":dxsrt1s6 said:
Your doe is throwing her kits around?! Is that because she is due to have another litter and is that what a doe might do in that situation?

Nope- she is still in the "I am digging a burrow for my nest" stage. Sometimes they have their kits before the nesting urge really kicks in... and not being blessed with a logical brain, they don't realize that the kits are already there and will be injured by their digging.

You wont get any flak here for breeding her back immediately. Some of our members expect their does to be able to be bred back the day of kindling or soon after even with a full sized litter.

When a doe has a small litter they often have oversized kits that are difficult to deliver, so breeding her back was the wisest option. Does seem to produce more eggs soon after kindling, resulting in larger litters with normal sized kits.

That isn't necessary. You can wean her kits a couple days before she is due. In a colony (or wild) situation the does get bred by the buck right after they give birth. It is biologically appropriate for the kits to be able to fend for themselves food wise by the time the next litter is born.

yeah, the resting the rabbit meat in the fridge to go through rigor first has probably been the best thing I learned. I can tell the difference. Funny how I grew up on a farm and everyone I know hunts but I never knew that....guess everyone just assumed I should know and never bothered to say it outright.

carolnoel50":2kjw3yxl said:
I was going to move it, until I saw you already had several replies in here. I'll leave it alone. :)

It would be best to start a new thread in the future. More likely to get the most replies. :)

Back