Beans, ornamental grasses, and flower heads

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sommrluv

Reaction score
I've heard beans are always no no no, but this was from the same people who said not to feed any greens.

I currently grow purple pod beans and snap beans over my chicken coop. I also grow marigolds in the same box, it seems to really keep down the fly population.

(I can look on the seed packets if you need more details, they just aren't at my fingertips right now)

My dutch boy got out the other day and sat in that box and ate a TON of my bean plants and flowers, and he lives, so I'm assuming no short term ill effects, but can get get leaves or beans as treats?

Do I need to get particular types of ornamental grasses or are they all pretty much ok?

What about deadheaded flowers from plants like daisies, rudbeckia, mums, asters?

Mother of thyme?

Thanks a ton.

Bean leaves are OK, not the pods with the mature or semi-mature seeds. The seeds are the problem. ornamental grasses aren't always grass, you need to check each one. As for the plants you have listed, I expect the daisies and mums are a no...not sure about the others...try looking up their latin names, and then searching "(latin name)toxicity rabbits"

Some beans are fine. There are a dozen names and 100s of varieties for the beans that are considered safe which includes what you call pod or snap beans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_beans The level is low enough in these beans that they are eaten raw or lightly cooked with no side effects and I've fed a lot of pole beans to rabbits and guinea pigs some years when the vines were prolific. Kidney and lima beans are considered the most toxic and soy is always cooked for human or animal food as well. Beans that contain the toxin must be cooked in high heat for 10mins to destroy it. Slow cookers are not high enough heat and beans for chili are often soaked and boiled before being added to a chili that is cooked slowly on lower heat. Unfortunately I cannot find a good list of just how toxic every bean type is which would be even more difficult with all the different names they are given. Basically think about whether you would eat the bean raw out of the garden especially in the pod or if it's a type of bean you would normally shell and thoroughly cook in to something. Most cultures have already determined which beans are safe and which are not. All you have to do is pay attention to how they are normally prepared and eaten.

Ornamental forms of grasses are quite often not good forage or even toxic.

well, I am the sort with a cast iron stomach, so I have eaten "toxic" things with no trouble, so I don't trust myself I guess, and use "no bean seeds" just to be safe--good to know tho, that they can have some green beans!

sapophins
not toxic to humans and another one, they aren't heat stable and so, you cook it and it's fine

I'd feed the bean leaves and stems but not the beans themselves. I agree with Eco2pia that you need to check the ornamental grasses and other flowers by Latin name to learn about possible toxicity.

Many weeds are good foods for rabbits. See the Safe Plants sticky for details. It's easy to google them if you need help identifying what you have.

Hey folks! Been a busy hot year, and we are just now getting a 2nd breeding in. I have been happily doing a work-share at a local CSA, and the boss is awesome about letting me clear beds of bolted stuff for the bunnies and chickens.

I have the chance this week to pull the bean plants- bush snaps/green beans and yellow wax. Ive found one mention that bean hay is good if you can find it non-moldy, I know Maggie does a lot of greens dried, and bean foliage is OK for bunnies- Im thinking of spreading a tarp in the downstairs and laying the bean plants out thinly with a box fan across them to help them dry- Any known problems?

because they are prone to mold, and because they are vine-y, I would probably hang them up if possible, just a thought. also, totally ok to feed them fresh.

The box fan is a good idea but an old bedsheet would be better than a tarp, I think, because it breathes and would wick moisture away from the drying leaves. Hanging them in bunches would also work really well. Can you run a line across the room and hang the bunches up like laundry?

I feed green beans when the beans inside are still quite small. My rabbits love them but you have to take into consideration that they contain a lot of sugar, which could be fattening.

You all are awesome. thanks for the ideas.
Its a 4-plant wide, about 40 row-feet, so way too much to feed at once. Ill hang some up in the dehumidifier room where the hay is stored...Ive also got scads of burlap bags from coffee that I got on Craigslist this spring to hang rabbit produce in once its dry.

I havent been able to find a good source for fall hay and Im down to 1/4 bale from last year. But, we get lots of maple and sycamore leaves in the fall, and have lots of maple twigs gathered and dried. I think we'll be able to keep them entertained, and I can go buy 1 or 2 of the expensive mini-bales of timothy at the feed store... I did find a place last night on Craigslist. Id rather have everything, but im sure we can make do.

Latest posts

Back