Bare necessities

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offherrocker

Reaction score
I am taking 3 rex rabbits to the Sedalia show this Saturday....could i get a list of "must haves" besides the obvious food/home water? Like bare bones basic for someone starting out and not a lot to work with lol. Please and thank you!!

I am taking 3 rex rabbits to the Sedalia show this Saturday....could i get a list of "must haves" besides the obvious food/home water? Like bare bones basic for someone starting out and not a lot to work with lol. Please and thank you!!
Before you go: make sure your rabbits are spotless. If you need to spot-bathe them, do it a few days to a week before the show if possible to allow them to groom their coats back into condition. Ditto with nails - trim them days early, so that the sharp edges will wear down before the judges handle the rabbits. And DO trim them. Long nails make it difficult for rabbits to be posed properly, and they are more likely to be torn when pulling them in and out of carriers and show coops. An old-timer tip: keep rabbits of dilute colors very closely trimmed. Mismatched toenails are a DQ that can be quite subjective, so keeping your rabbits' nails short can avoid having them DQ'd off the table. This is especially true with Rex, which have very little fur to hide lighter toenails. I am not suggesting cheating - don't do it! - just that proper grooming can give your rabbits their best shot.

My show kit includes the ARBA SOP (Standard of Perfection), nail trimmers, scissors, baby wipes, paper towels, and a first aid kit (used more often for people than for rabbits). I bring paper and a pen, too - it's surprising how hard those can be to find anymore! - for taking notes on judges' comments or exchanging contact information. I also usually take a folding chair along, unless I know there will be plenty of chairs there.

Be sure to take along a positive attitude! Don't feel bad if your rabbits don't do well. Judges are human and they all have different perspectives and opinions; your rabbits might do great at the next show. Just listen to what everyone says and file it away, so you can make better observations, judgments and decisions in the future. Also, I usually find that if people know you're a newcomer, they are eager to help you learn. Rabbit folks are mostly a good and welcoming bunch.

Yes, water is a good idea but I don't usually take food along as rabbits seem to do fine for a few hours without, and many won't eat while at a show anyway. Hay can be a good soother but some show venues ask you not to bring hay, as it can be hard to clean up - check the show catalog.

If your rabbits have pedigrees, bringing those along can be useful when you are talking with other breeders. More experienced folks can sometimes give you a lot more information about certain topics if they can look at the pedigrees of the rabbits in question.

If you have a tattoo kit, I usually bring that too, for touch-ups or helping someone who arrives with a rabbit that's not yet tattooed.

Finally, I sometimes bring cash, other times I leave it home - it depends on how much I don't want to bring a new rabbit home with us! :LOL:

I hope you have a great time at your first show!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back