Fresh corn? Corn husks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good info on the corn. I've never given them corn or corn husks/silk. I like the idea of frozen cobs though. No spoilage there if it's frozen and then toss it out after its thawed and chewed on for a while. I would have guessed you all would say no due to the sugar content.

My garden is full of organic corn right now. I give the cobs a haircut when silks come out. I've read the cobs are pollinated more evenly if the pollen is falling on a "butch" type haircut, so the buns get the rest of the silks and it's the first thing they go for. They love it. After the corn harvest they will get a piece of the juicy part of the stalk until they start to dry up. They aren't crazy about the cobs but will chew on them a little.

My garden is full of organic corn right now. I give the cobs a haircut when silks come out. I've read the cobs are pollinated more evenly if the pollen is falling on a "butch" type haircut, so the buns get the rest of the silks and it's the first thing they go for. They love it. After the corn harvest they will get a piece of the juicy part of the stalk until they start to dry up. They aren't crazy about the cobs but will chew on them a little.
I get a kick out of your profile pic. Rabbit looking out the window.....ha. My corn grew and put ears on, I don't think I'll get much out of it. First time growing corn for me. I usually have a ton given to me but so far no. Guess I won't be putting any up this year. OK by me.

I get a kick out of your profile pic. Rabbit looking out the window.....ha. My corn grew and put ears on, I don't think I'll get much out of it. First time growing corn for me. I usually have a ton given to me but so far no. Guess I won't be putting any up this year. OK by me.
I tried three different varieties of corn this year, two heritage types and one hybrid. The heritage types did terrible. The plants that developed corn only put on one cob. About 1/3 did not develop any cobs at all. The hybrid, called American Dream from Johnnyseeds.com, all put on at least two cobs and several put on three cobs. I grew American Dream last year also with the same results. It is delicious corn. I normally prefer to grow heritage plants but in this case I have found them to be a waste of time, garden space, fertilizer and water. If you want corn I highly recommend this. The stalks are also very fat and the rabbits love them. I cut them into six inch pieces and keep them in the fridge so they are fresh longer.

I tried three different varieties of corn this year, two heritage types and one hybrid. The heritage types did terrible. The plants that developed corn only put on one cob. About 1/3 did not develop any cobs at all. The hybrid, called American Dream from Johnnyseeds.com, all put on at least two cobs and several put on three cobs. I grew American Dream last year also with the same results. It is delicious corn. I normally prefer to grow heritage plants but in this case I have found them to be a waste of time, garden space, fertilizer and water. If you want corn I highly recommend this. The stalks are also very fat and the rabbits love them. I cut them into six inch pieces and keep them in the fridge so they are fresh longer.
I'll try the American Dream next year. If all else fails this year I can give them some stalks. Hmmm I'm going to go cut one now and see if they like it.

Awesome. :) Thanks guys!!! Corn will be a small part of their "kitchen garbage" supplementation, they are still mostly pellet-fed, but I feel silly throwing away Romaine remnants, broccoli stems, carrot tops and corn husks when it should all be edible for the rabbits. :) Plus since the weather is nice, I have started grazing them a little in my single-rabbit tractor...my dad is skeptical about that but oh well. ;)

The more of the lawn and kitchen garbage they eat, the better, I guess. :)
I let the adults out to graze quite a bit. I live in the woods. Right now I am a little worried about bad mushrooms but I watch them and they haven't seemed interested in them at all. My neighbor brings me her salad scraps all the time. Rabbits get the greens, chickens the rest.

Lately I've utilized the rabbits as a sort of kitchen-scraps garbage disposal. They seem to be thriving, lol.

My question is, can they eat fresh corn husks? Or fresh corn? Obviously not MUCH but a little? Can it be on the cob?
I don't give corn kernals or cobs but they go crazy for the rest of plant. I grow painted mountain, a high protein heirloom grain corn. Pull leaves occasionally, then when I harvest cobs pull plant. They devour roots and all. They also like the husks from sweet corn we buy for us to eat

Back