Banana peels and peanut butter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizemama

Reaction score
I know that rabbits can eat the banana, but what about the peels? My chickens don't like them and my kids go through about 10 pounds a week. It'd be great if something would eat them.

Also, what about peanut butter? The only reason this even crossed my mind is because someone in my area is selling peanut butter for animal feed. A 50 pound box is $15. I'm interested in possibly feeding it to the little ones to get them to butcher weight faster. I thought maybe I could heat the PB until it thins out and mix it with some oats or something.

At the moment I only have three buns so I don't have anyone to test it on. I thought maybe someone would have answers. Thanks!

I wash my bananas and feed the peels to the rabbits. I also am suckered into buying the organic bananas(they're only 10c more per pound, usually), and assume they have less pesticides on them.

I wouldn't buy the PB for animal feed. My gut tells me the nuts were at least partially spoiled (ie, unfit for human consumption) and I don't think rabbits have the digestive flora to deal with the bacteria in spoiled peanuts.

Peanut butter is for treats only for rabbits. Definitely not a staple.

But, it has a long storage life so I'd buy some anyway.

That makes me feel better Miss M. I figure in reality, pretty much anything they eat that I didn't grow myself has pesticides. Unfortunately, I can't afford to feed the family organically, much less the critters. If organic and conventional are the same price, of course I'll buy organic, but I can't pay more for it. I'll try the banana peels on the bunnies and see what they think.

I'm still trying to decide if I have a realistic use for 50 pounds of PB. Then I'll do some investigating as to the quality. My husband said he thinks it's being marketed as animal feed because that's the only way anyone in their right mind would buy 50 pounds of peanut butter. They also sold 500 pound barrels of PB. I can't even imagine.

You mean I'm the only one that has 42lbs of peanut butter in their food storage? :hmm:

I would buy some of it for my own emergency food storage. That is an excellent deal.

In fact I'd probably buy several... you could jar it up for trade goods.

I totally hadn't even thought of repackaging it. It comes in boxes and I wasn't sure how well that would last. How long do you think it would last and how would you package it up? Could I can it?

mizemama":2gz9ahsw said:
How long do you think it would last and how would you package it up?

I don't now- probably as long as the expiration date on the box. :hmm:

Hubs just mentioned that there was a recall on PB at Costco, so I would find out the source and make sure they didn't just dump the jars into boxes. I don't know if it is even possible to get hold of to do that, but you ought to check into it.

mizemama":2gz9ahsw said:
Could I can it?

I would think so.

MamaSheepdog":p5hu3awy said:
Hubs just mentioned that there was a recall on PB at Costco, so I would find out the source and make sure they didn't just dump the jars into boxes. I don't know if it is even possible to get hold of to do that, but you ought to check into it.
^^ this is usually where "animal feed" products come from. Every time I've seen something like this it's either been recalled or spoiled. Works fine for animals with less picky digestive systems.

Back