Baby Ducks.....Bad Cat!!!! Pics added

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm_bunnyloft

Reaction score
While feeding the chickens I decided to check on the Duck and Hen that are sitting a shared nest of Bantam chicken and Muscovy eggs. Well Guess What?? We have Ducks!!!!! Wee Little Baby Ducks!!!! Two are hatched so far and more are working on it. There were 20 eggs in the next when she started to set. Now there are a bunch of bantam eggs as well so I hope the chicken sticks her butt to the nest and hatches out her own kids.

Well then I found our momma cat in the chicken pen. Stalking the chickens. I now know where all of the baby chicks have been disappearing too. So far she managed to kill 16 chicks in the last month. I am so mad at her. She is going to be finding a new home as of tomorrow. She managed to get in the rabbit barn the other day as well. I am so over her!!! She has 3 girl kittens here that are going with her too. I will keep the fat lazy boys around and thats it. There is no reason for her to be killing chickens with as much food as I feed them every day. It is rediculous. My deck looks like the cat lady moved in at feeding time. They all come and sit there waiting for their food. Yet she kills my animals. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

She is just being a good Mama Kitty and teaching her kittens to hunt. Too bad she picked your chicks to teach them with. :x

Oddly enough, my barn cats leave the chickens and chicks alone. I was shocked one day to find a baby chick out of the coop, surrounded by cats that simply ignored it. They don't bother the rabbits either- I had some escapees several months ago, and they ignored them even though they hunt squirrels and cottontails.

Yeah she is the only one that is a problem. So she is going to have to go to a new home before the others learn from her.

Yes, you don't wont them all to start. Living on a farm is a whole different ball game. Animals that don't contribute something have to get "the boot".

Some of the ducks died after making their way half out of the shell. I think they got to cold so I brought this little guy in to warm him up. Hope he makes it.

Attachments

• 2012-09-25_15-04-48_689.jpg
    2012-09-25_15-04-48_689.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 713
If the shell sticks, do not peal it off, gently moisten with a paper towel, and let the duckling get out, by it's self.

It is so cold here I may have to fight the Momma duck :twisted: and bring them in till they are hatched. But she scares me!!!! :oops:

__________ Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm __________

It wiggled its way out and is back with its momma now. Im just worried about the cold. Its been getting below freezing at night. :(<br /><br />__________ Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:25 pm __________<br /><br />There are a total of 12 healthy happy baby ducks out of 18 eggs. This time of year I am happy with that. :) I was actually doubting she would hatch any. Its been getting pretty cold here at night. Bellow freezing some nights. Brrrrr........

So after the cat had her killing spree we have 5 chicks and 12 ducklings to raise up for the freezer. Its better than nothing. Now if the Rabbits would just get with the program.

Piper":mxtzm52a said:
If the shell sticks, do not peal it off, gently moisten with a paper towel, and let the duckling get out, by it's self.

In most cases it is a good idea to leave them be but....I have dealt with hens who abandoned their nest and the chicks made it half way out then would die. I moisten some and gently pealed it out and they servived. I only tried it on two cause that was what was left. They were my favorite chickens a hen and rooster. There are always exceptions to the rule. :lol:

There was a chicken and a duck sitting them together. When they started hatching the chicken and duck momma started fighting over the babies. It was getting ugly. All of the ducklings are in a brooder pen now and doing wonderfully. By the time they set next year I will have a separate pen for the brooding ducks to go in.

Back