Are you SURE you are vegan?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um show the real size one, not resized (or link)

as for VEGAN, yes there are a number who take it so far as, they will not anything dead (leather) and they don't do vaccines anyways....

Yea I even scaled that up on firefox but you can't read the words. There are a few people who manage to be vegan. It's a full lifestyle though. You have to pay attention to and change something in nearly every aspect of your life.

I am certain that I am NOT a Vegan!
Anyway, though it may sound enticing
to a handful, it is a very unhealthy diet!
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
To each their own, whatever floats your Boat.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Here's just the image:

x6Hf6.jpg

It is interesting, and creepy.

My aunt was vegan. only in diet. not that she was AR but believed in the garden of Eden. diet.

Thanks Midnight Coder, I tried to find a larger image but that was the largest one I saw...I personally never realized how many things are made from animal products. :shock: How could one possibly be completely vegan? :eek: I know many are vegan in diet and as much as they can, they are in lifestyle as well. However, it seems that there is just no way to know whether certain things contain animal products or not. I am not against the vegan lifestyle, it is just not for me. I am an unapologetic omnivore... :lol:

There are so many people who claim to be vegan, yet there they are-- eating jello... A lot of people think Animal agriculture is bad for the planet-- but look at this-- we feed the animal grass, and then 24 hours later, the end product can be incorporated into the soil to feed soil organisms and the plants that we can eat. Every living thing on the planet has it's function in the maintenance of life-- and that includes us meat eaters. Our digestive systems were designed for meat and vegetation. I will not go against what nature has dictated I eat!!!

A very high percentage of the land cattle are ranged on is unsuitable for agriculture for one reason or another so if we didn't range cattle on it, it would grow no food at all.

I sort of understand what vegetarianism goes towards, not wanting to harm the animal and respecting it by not killing it, that's fine. Not for me, but fine.

The thing is though...whether we eat the eggs or not, or drink the milk or not, the hen will still lay eggs and the cow will still produce milk.

Except most vegetarians and vegans follow groups like PETA and HSUS who's goals are to eliminate the keeping of at least livestock but even pets in many cases so the hen will not be laying eggs and the cow will not produce milk because there will be no chickens or cows. Some go so far as to think the animals better off all killed than owned by humans.

Yeah, I have never understood one thing about some vegans/vegan organisations. I am a confirmed carnivore, and kinda feel bad for people who have never experienced the sheer joy that comes from a perfectly cooked (medium rare to medium) rib-eye, or a beautiful rack of smoked pork ribs.....

BUT, no matter how much I like and think that animals are fine for food, and humans are made to eat meat, I would never resort to violence to make people eat meat. Funny how the people who cry for peace and tolerance are usually the most violent and intolerant huh?

been a vegan (eating)
but I was a really bad one (it wasn't my choice)
I was always sneaking off for pizza and icecream<br /><br />__________ Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:54 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, and Vegan environmentalist,
point out that it's ONLY our hightech
Polluting Society that allows them their lifestyle.

Jack":kaxnw27x said:
Oh, and Vegan environmentalist,
point out that it's ONLY our hightech
Polluting Society that allows them their lifestyle.
Jack, you got a point there-- without 'technology' we would either be extinct ourselves, or still roam the land-- in bands of hunter-gatherer groups. And we would be seeking out animal meat and fat as a major portion of our diets.

sadly, the vegans will find that with the fall of technology their fatted tufo seems to go extinct
but that's ok, I'll start conservation breeding program and put them out to graze in the south pasture with my Woods Buffalo, and it good thing they tend towards hippy, cause they need the extra fur to survive our winters.....

If they get to cold, you can put them in with rabbits, after all, they eat the same things.

The vegan bit has always seemed a bit much to me (for many reasons)
tripped across this article though - and thought - yah - this, this makes sense ... for the planet and for ourselves ... I think I might be in love ;)

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/int ... z1YAo0XuAU

Parsed heavily:

You wouldn't think being a vegetarian is a dangerous idea. Well, says ...Jonathan Safran Foer, ''There are ideas that can literally put you in physical danger, which this one can, There are ideas that are socially dangerous, which this one is. There are ideas that are dangerous because of their potential to change things in a dramatic way, which this one also is. So by most definitions, I would say that not eating animals is a dangerous idea.''

Modern industrial farming comes at the cost, Foer says, of animal welfare, the environment and our health. .

''With [the question of eating meat], even if you give it as generous and humble approach as you can, it's almost impossible not to avoid heated feelings. It speaks to a shared awareness that something really big is going on. Even if you think it's a fine thing to do.''

''One of the things I want to do ... is move away from this harmful dichotomy that has been set up: you either care or you don't care at all. You're vegetarian or you are a carnivore. Most people do care about these issues and the reality is that most people are not going to become vegetarian.''

Foer's aim is to open a middle ground where people can make a difference. ''Do I think there is any chance in the world that half of Americans will be vegetarians in 10 years? I would say there is virtually no chance in the world of that. Do I think there is any chance that half of the meals eaten in America will be vegetarian in 10 years? I think there is a good chance of that.

''And that would have the same impact on the world - whether it's half the people or half the meals. It's just that we are not used to thinking about that second way because we've become so convinced that it's a question of identity or lifestyle as opposed to the end that we want.''

He would love to see more people thinking about the end, not the means.

''There is a wonderful food writer in America named Mark Bittman and he doesn't eat meat until 5pm. After five, he eats everything. Almost everybody's response is to chuckle at that because it makes us uncomfortable, somehow. It seems radically hypocritical.

''On the other hand, he is somebody who doesn't eat any animal products for two-thirds of his meals. I think it's amazing. If more people could think like that, we would solve the problem.''

''I've found that the more someone cares about food, the more they care about this. So chefs and farmers have actually been some of the biggest allies of the book.''

He was also surprised at the general consensus he found that ''the farming system we have isn't the farming system we want'', he says.

''I don't mean that everyone thinks we should become vegetarian, because that's clearly not true. What I mean is when [we factor in] … the environmental effect, the human health effect, the effect on animals, you just don't meet people who are OK with them. I have yet to find people who don't care.''

''They are aware of it [factory farming] being out there and aware of it being pretty bad but not aware that any time they eat in a restaurant or go shopping in the supermarket [they have no other choice].''

He says there is an alternative and it doesn't mean food will become prohibitively expensive, less available, less profitable or less safe.

''I think there is a future in small, animal-friendly farming - and it's not so small, by the way.

''It's how all farming was done only 70 years ago. It's one of the most impressive things about factory farming: how quickly it radicalised a system that is as old as human history. We'd been farming in one way, pretty much without huge changes, forever. And all of a sudden we are farming in this radically different way.

Foer puts some caveats on the prospect of small farms feeding the world.

''We have to eat much, much, much less, just because there isn't enough earth on Earth. And the other caveat is we pay the real cost - and people would eat a lot less.''

Is that such a bad thing? Given our losing battle with obesity in First World countries such as Australia, eating less seems like a positive. Foer says: ''The bad thing is the rich people would get to eat what they want, the poor people wouldn't. But that's already true.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/int ... z1YJBGWA3P

Back