Are you a cat or dog person?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a cat or dog person?

• Cats

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Dogs

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other critters

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
I've had both, in fact I had more dogs than I have cats growing up. When I was a kid, we grew up with labs. But I am and have always been a cat person. Dogs and me just don't "click" and I've never had a dog take to me like cats do. Most cats tend to love me instantly. I'm the guy who tamed an "untamable" feral kitten in two days.

I like dogs, but they're not for me. Maybe it's because I'm lazy, but honestly, dogs are too much work. Walking, potty training, socializing with people and dogs, vaccinations, not to mention the smell, the barkings, the tearing things up. Picking up crap from the yard. No thank you.

With cats it's just, ya throw them in a sand filled box a couple times and they usually figure out how to use the litter box, it doesn't really matter if they're friendly with other people or not, there's no real training involved, they generally don't stink and they don't need regular shots like dogs do.

Cat person. For as long as I can remember, I've loved cats.

I have a dog, and grew up with dogs in the house. Dogs are great companions... but they are too much maintenance. I have a super low maintenance dog right now and she's still too much. She has a really coarse coat and very flaky skin, she always stinks even after a bath, eats garbage and grass and then throws up on her bed, she gets in the way all the time... etc.

Both...along with rabbits, chickens, and a potbelly pig.

I will admit a slight bias towards a good dog, especially one that enjoys rides in the truck. My Sassy does love riding.

I can't say dogs are much trouble for me.
I tend to have a natural way with them (I'm bossy, and dogs like that.) I also have enough awareness of dog personality to select calm individuals who are a good fit for me.

The go out for potty, we clean it up.

Potty training was a snap, and my newf actually learned to eliminate on command while I was potty training him.

They still get stinky, and we have to wash bedding where they sleep regularly. Newfs need brushed quite a bit when they are replacing their undercoats. They need nail cuts like rabbits do, whereas my cat manages to keep his nails healthy by tearing at my furniture on occasion.

My dogs don't tear things up or get into the garbage, probably because I keep garbage behind a closed door where dogs have zero access.
They never needed more socializing than they received as part of the family.

They don't bark more than a woof or two if someone is at the door. I prefer they do that, and it's one of my main reasons for even having dogs.

I feel safer, and more protected having them here.
My cat is also necessary. He goes outside too, so we choose to vaccinate him as well as the dogs. I recommend at least distemper and rabies vaccinations for all pet cats.

He kills mice. He snuggles on my lap when I'm on the computer, and he sleeps beside us at night. I firmly believe his presence helps us sleep more soundly.

He has bladder issues. I am very happy to not own wall to wall carpeting and that I am able to wash the tiny cotton rugs he prefers to pee on daily.

I am finding that I am most definitely a dog person... although I am not lovely dovey with either, I like the "attitudes" of most dogs more than cats - cats are too... snooty for me :? I tend to lean towards medium size breeds - not yippy, but not overbearing (well, sometimes). I still wash my hands after petting anything - whether it's mine or someone elses so I guess I have a ways to go on that :oops: . Each serves their own purpose around here. I HATE mice... and rats. Cats are great for that! Dogs are our alarm system. I can't imagine living in the country being home with the kids and not having that peace of mind. My MIL really wants to get another dog since she works from home and the ones they used to have were comforting for her... but FIL is being a grumpy old man and already threatening to shoot her cat because it gets on his truck :roll: I told him the dog might keep the cat out of the carport, but he's not convinced...

I am both a Cat and a Dog person.
I have always had a Dog as a youth and in adulthood.
The problem with Dogs is: They tend to become old and feeble and sometimes DIE before YOU are ready to let them go! I also have a Cat and still do [I've had more than a few,]
they died from old age. My cat is SUPER! Though at times she seems a bit needy!
She'll plop down wherever I am sitting and I MUST pet her!.
At this stage, I suppose I may be becoming a bit OLD and feeble and maybe even a bit needy!
I guess that's why I understand [Data], the Cat. Dogs No matter whose they are seem to get along with me. Maybe because I take on the ALPHA position and do not allow them to control me!
If I walk a Dog, I walk the Dog I do not/will not allow him to walk me.
Those who cannot control their dog or any other animal is because they do not take control from the start. Animals will take advantage once they learn that they can.
I just won't allow it! I like Dogs and I an quit fond of Cats, but I could take it or leave it!
But, I'm older now and less likely to take on any job that I feel I couldn't handle.
Like what you like, do what you will, One Man's Rose is another Man's Daisy!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer: :explanation:

Cats are okay....but I'd have to say I prefer dogs. :dogkiss:
But I gotta say....Rabbits trump both. ;) :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

While I love both, I can't live without a dog yet it takes a very specific cat for me to tolerate (Once my current cat has passed on, I'm planning to be cat free for the remainder of my life) Cat's are pushy and actually require more planning than dogs do by far. They have no instinct to please the human, only themselves which can be really obnoxious sometimes. Having said that though, cats have a knack for finding the human for them vs the other way around so we'll see how long that "never again" lasts. :roll:

If I could only own one type of companion animal, it would definitely be a dog.

I am a dog person through and through, so much so that my favorite cats have always been those that act like dogs.

I have had several cats that fit that description in my lifetime;

My first kitty "Tom Cat" (who was a calico female, btw!) came to us when I was seven as an adult stray. I wanted a dog so badly that I trained her to walk on a leash, sit, sit up, shake hands, roll over, jump through a hoop, and do a back flip. Later, when I had a paper route, she would run along behind my bicycle and deliver the newspapers with me.

The second was a cat that came to me with the name "Tiger Paws" which was way too common for my taste so was modified to "Pyger Taws" since it sounded close. He loved to ride on my shoulder and go with me everywhere. He learned to come to me when I simply rubbed my fingers together.

The third was a kitten I got from the pound as a teenager. He was a massive heavy boned long haired "Tuxedo cat". Not being politically correct then (or now!) :roll: and having a rather wicked sense of humor, I named him "Watts" because he was all black with just a little white. :twisted: He was incredible- one of those cats that you look at and know that they are far wiser than any human that ever lived.

Being a teen, I would often spend a couple nights away from home (plus I had a job managing a pet store/grooming shop), which Watts did not approve of... so he would take it upon himself to get into the car with me when he saw I was leaving (AGAIN!) and join me in my adventures. He followed me just like a well trained dog, and would accompany me to work, or trips to visit a friend in Hollywood... wherever I was going he wanted to be a part of it.

The fourth was a female Lynx Point Siamese (not purebred) who came to the above shop with her mother and littermates absolutely INFESTED with fleas- they had so many that when we wet them down, you could not see the skin on their heads because it was solid fleas :x - so I talked the owner into letting me have her. I named her "Kamar" after the manufacturer of my favorite brand of stuffed animals. She also loved going places with me, and would sprawl across my arm purring and "making muffins" in the air as I carried her.

The fifth was another flea infested kitten that came into the veterinary hospital where I worked. He was only about 4 days old and the mother cat had died, as had a couple of the other kittens in the litter. They were all anemic and starving. In fact, they were so weak that I had to tube feed them, and he actually died in my hands after the first feeding, turning blue and lifeless. One of the vet techs exclaimed "Let's necropsy him!" and I was so distressed that I rubbed him vigorously, which amazingly started him breathing again.

I fostered the whole litter with the understanding that I would be allowed to keep "the kitten that died"- he was a broken tabby with a short little tail with a crook at the end. My very first Manx!

"Yahoo Sirius" was so trusting that he would stand up on his hind legs to greet me with the expectation that I would of course reach down and pet him. If I wasn't quick enough, he would tip over backwards! :lol:

Most cats aren't like that though, and have the annoying characteristic that as far as training them NOT to do things (such as get on the kitchen counters or tables, or use your furniture as a scratching post), they simply take that as "I am not allowed to do these things when humans are present." ;)

Obviously, I am the type that wants an animal that wants to be with me wherever I go, and that will respect the rules I set. I love training animals, and dogs are such willing learners. It is fun to see just how many "tricks" you can teach them.

My first dog knew over 100 commands, and was the most incredible dog ever. I still miss her to this day.

I also love the fact that dogs (even little ones) serve as an early warning system and alert you to any intruders, human or animal. Even though I am always armed, I feel safest when I have a dog with me.

That was sure a joy to read about MSD! :) Thanks for sharing your memories!!! Those sound like awesome cats! (And your dog sounded awesome as well. Sorry she is no longer with you. :cry: ) I wish mine was that way...she's just a typical self absorbed, narcissistic cat. ;) :lol:

I get a kick out of my dog chasing the barn cats :chase1: tho he just wants to play they don't ever seem to interested :lol: (DOGS)

I consider myself a cat and horse person but I love dogs as well. Hubby doesn't like cats at all although he has tolerated mine in the past. We haven't had a cat for several years as when we moved we were afraid my in-laws dog would kill them. Thankfully my mom was able to take the ones we had. Now we have several hunting dogs who have not been raised with cats so I'm a bit leary about getting another one.

When I was a girl we had a barn cat that would follow us when we went horseback riding. It was the funniest thing. He would get tired and flop down and I would get off the horse and put him in the saddle with me and keep going. When he felt he was rested he would jump down and keep following. I really loved that cat but he got ran over when he was only about a yr old.

Latest posts

Back