Are you a cat or dog person?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a cat or dog person?

• Cats

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Dogs

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other critters

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Dog, in particular the hunting breeds, especially the spaniels. Growing up we had a variety of breeds around and as adults we have a variety of dogs; Irish Setter, Doberman, Husky mix, terriers, Poodles (Standard and Miniature), Dachsaund, Labs, American Cockers, Heinz 57s. My sister has German Shepherd crosses, an Anatolian Shepherd (Molly keeps the other four dogs in line), a Shar Pei mix, Bully mixes, Pit mixes; my brother has had two Miniature Schnauzers.

Like rabbits, I like the work involved with a dog, the cleaning and feeding and general welfare of keeping said dog. What I really like about Cockers are that they can be couch potatoes today and tomorrow we're off in the deep woods, or pointing birds, swimming with the Labs, or any other really active day and they really enjoy it. They have big dog mentality in a mid-dog size. They're good watch dogs, when raised properly they're great with babies and small children, and they love watching TV with grandpa. Their poops aren't large. Most of them are very smart. And with whom else can you cry into soft floppy ears on a bad day? They're small enough to go camping and big enough to put the fear of God into the repairman they don't like.

Cats.... I've never had a cat personally. My mother and now my husband are allergic, but I've house sat enough cats and my dad had cats and my sister has barn cats, enough to know I don't really like them. They're nice enough--when they don't want to bite or claw you in a moment's decision. God knows the general public wouldn't put up with that kind of behavior in dogs!!!! They poop in all the places you don't want them to, and leave nasty hairballs for you to step in, and leave dead things on your doorstep as a "Gift", they kill a lot of local bird life when free ranging, and most house cats I know would spit in their owner's eye if they could, much less anyone who takes care of them. I'll pass on a cat. Gimme a dog.

I like almost all animals but dogs are number 1 in my book, although I do love my bratty cats I will never be without a dog.

I would so love to have a dog :(

But living alone, working almost full time, no way. I get along with every dog I meet, and those who get to know me love me. My ex neighbours (Gertrudes) dog ( I moved 11monthes ago) sometimes still waits for me in the evening to come home :cry:

I would also love to work with horses, my family, for holidays, rented a horse drawn gipsy wagon in hungary for two weeks a few years ago, best holidays ever. I learned riding as a kid, and actually I think that horses minds are somewhat close to that of rabbits. They know exactly if you really mean what you're telling them (otherwise they laugh or ignore you), and they are prey animals.

My mother wanted a dog all her life, only now, at the age of 72 my father gave in, and was washed away by puppy love :lol: They should have done that decades earlier, missed a lot.

I am definitely a cat person. My parents got me my first kitty when I was two, hoping I would talk to it sometimes instead of to them. :oops:

I like certain individual dogs, but in general I find them too focussed on their humans and rather needy. Every time you move they look up, expecting something . . . a pat, a walk, a treat. I find that very hard to handle.

Cats, now . . . they have their own agenda and it operates separately from mine. Cats love you, but on their own terms. They don't slobber, they don't have to go out, they are meticulous in their use of the litter box. Low maintenance and a bit independent.

And yet . . . is there anything nicer than a furry moggie creeping into bed with you on a cold winter night? I've been lucky with my choices of cats. Marilla (the cat in my avatar) was my constant companion and a total joy for the ten and a half years she shared my life. I miss her so much.

Jenny, our little black moggie, is sweet and very affectionate. I don't have quite the rapport with her that I had with Marilla (that was exceptional) but she is still a lovely little cat and we are lucky to have her.
:catmoon:

Cats all the way! :D

Growing up with 17 cats and two dogs, the cats just won. :lol: Esp as dogs seem to be fuzzy tapeworms with great press. :roll: We have a dog for protection and he is a good dog but boy howdy does he NEED all the time.

Right now we are catless and its a big lack in our lives and the search for a few kittens has shown me that long haired cats dont seem to show up free on CL! :shock: Odd, we use to get them dumped on us all the time, hence the 17. :lol:

Dogs, big dogs, though I'd love to have a sheltie some day.

I've had cats all my life because my mom didn't like stinky dogs in the house. I thought I lid them, until I got my latest couple, who've had no interest in me. Never had that problem with dogs.

Besides dogs have so many different purposes, companion, protector, foot warmer.

Guess i would say that i was a Dog person with a Side of Cat.
We had cats when i was a child... outdoorsey cats that came and went as they wished. And cats inter-twined thru out my life.
At 16 i got my first dog... a German Shepherd. She taught me as much if not more than i taught her. We did obedience work and showed in obedience. We made it to her UD degree. started tracking and some beginner Shutzhund work.
Then came Honey-Do.... a Shetland Sheepdog.... my constant companion for 17 years. Never could "do" obedience with her... as she hated being on leash and would do the best "beaten dawg" routine ever. Take the leash Off and her eyes would sparkle.. her steps would bounce... Miraculous change. My heart broke when she passed.
We had a Border Collie next for 14 years.Not too bright...."Come" meant run away as fast as he could. But a good hearted fella he was.
Then came Nikki..... my heart dog. An Aussie beyond compare. It would take One Time of doing something... and she had it down pat. We lost her suddenly, abruptly... far far too young... only 6 to a massive seizure. :(
We did try one more dog... but since we are somewhat older than we used to be... and not nearly as agile as we used to be... it just did not work out. The dangers to DH from that one was more than we could deal with. We were able to gift that one to people... Younger and more Lively who Know the breed and how to work with them.
So our Doggy Days are done. And we will content ourselves with our Kitty.

I was definitely a cat person growing up, but now like both. I'm not too keen on little companion dogs though, especially the ones who are too yappy and have Napoleon complexes. At this point in my life, I just don't "get" them. I really like big dogs and working dogs--I consider boxers to be medium-size. But I do admit I LOVE cats, and for the very reasons people often dislike them. I love their independence, I love that they have a pretty strong sense of worth and are willing to smack you upside the head if you don't respect them, I love that, if you as their person have a hissy -fit about something, they don't turn into guilt-ridden sacks of anguish the way dogs do. Cats will simply watch, then think, "whatever" as they flick their tail and strut away, and if you give them grief they don't forget: you will find cat poop somewhere as a deliberate statement. While I am grateful for my dog's companionship, love, and loyalty, I have admired all of my cats self dignity. My dogs have all loved me because I was alpha and they have an eternal optimism that I am amazing & entitled to their love. They see me with adoring, rose-colored glasses. (When I'm getting dressed in the morning, my dog is obediently sitting and looking at me like, "I'm ready to go when you are! I'll hold my water all day if I have to! Thanks for letting me be here!" My cat climbs out of his litter box, glances at my half-dressed self and seems to comment, "hmm, gained weight again, have we? And by the way quit buying that clumping litter-it sticks in my toes" as he gives a final paw shake then struts from the room.) The cockiness of cats amuses me. But when my cats climb on my lap, or choose to snuggle, or give me an affectionate head bump and purr as they head on their way, I know I've earned it.

I've added a poll to the top of this thread. Heritage, I hope you don't mind. It's a multiple choice poll, so anyone can click any options that apply to them.

As to the topic at hand, cats are unarguably supreme beings (and they know it). We can only hope that cats will be benevolent masters to us, and that we can provide enough entertainment and treats for them that they don't kill us in our sleep. I, for one, welcome our feline overlords and accept my fate as their humble servant. :surrender2:

de431fdf53172329fdf32c7fad88fc54.jpg

Latest posts

Back