Are These Starving Kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
Okay I am in a quandary. I think these kitsView attachment 29053s are not being fed. However, after 2 days they should be dead I would think. So maybe I just can't tell what a kit that is being fed looks like I thought they looked dehydrated but now that I have brought them in maybe not. I would like a second third fourth opinion....

Thanks for all help!

View attachment 29054

View attachment 29052
@RabbitsOfTheCreek

Those kits do look pretty skinny
Is it easy to feel their ribs when you pick them up? Do they try and nurse on your finger?

Those kits do look pretty skinny
Is it easy to feel their ribs when you pick them up? Do they try and nurse on your finger?
Sorry I didn't see this before. They look dehydrated and they do not try to nurse. I tried giving them some milk and egg yolk and they did not seem terribly interested but they seem dehydrated to me. You can feel their ribs when you pick them up

Make sure the formula is warm enough but not too hot. I've found when they get past a certain point, they're too weak to even care to feed. Do you have any electrolyte powder? You could try adding some of that to your formula or even plain water to help get them rehydrated. They do appear to be dehydrated; usually seeing a bunch of wrinkles like we see is a sign of dehydration.

I can't quite tell from the pics- are their bellies sunken inward? How is their energy level compared to normal kits at that age? Are they jumping around pretty well looking for food, or are they just laying in your hand?

I don't know if kefir would be good or not- it is a cultured food that has yeast, bacteria, and some amount of alchohol...

The plot thickens with the baby rabbits. There were six up front of the box that were not being fed and there were three in the back of the box that seemed to have been fed I put them all together I am going to insulate the nestbox better and put it back out there and what happens happens. It's supposed to stay in the twenties for much of the next while

I can't quite tell from the pics- are their bellies sunken inward? How is their energy level compared to normal kits at that age? Are they jumping around pretty well looking for food, or are they just laying in your hand?

I don't know if kefir would be good or not- it is a cultured food that has yeast, bacteria, and some amount of alchohol...
Are you talking about my pictures, Muddy Farms or those of Rabbits by Accident?
The two unfed kits in my old post had flat, slightly sunken bellies with a lot of wrinkles. If they had been fed, they would have rounded smooth bellies, as though they had swallowed a grape whole. (Clearly impossible, but you get the idea.)

I've stickied the old thread because there is a lot of good follow-up in the replies. This question comes up again and again.

@Mariah's Meadows @RabbitsOfTheCreek
What about kefir? I thought since it is extremely probiotic and the lactose is digested it might be a good idea. But then again it might be a horrible idea

I personally have no idea if kefir would be helpful or not, unfortunately. But I did find this interesting study, though the sample size is too small to be conclusive imo and it seems they agree the study should be redone with more rabbits. They observed increased growth weight with 20% kefir milk, but less internal body fat. At this age, you would want them to have high caloric intake and the study is aiming more for weight decrease.

Are you talking about my pictures, Muddy Farms or those of Rabbits by Accident?
The two unfed kits in my old post had flat, slightly sunken bellies with a lot of wrinkles. If they had been fed, they would have rounded smooth bellies, as though they had swallowed a grape whole. (Clearly impossible, but you get the idea.)

I've stickied the old thread because there is a lot of good follow-up in the replies. This question comes up again and again.

@MaggieJ -no I was typing that out for @Rabbits by Accident when you posted those pictures right ahead of me! I didn't realize how my question seemed it could be for either of you. Sorry!

Thanks for the explanations. It really is a common question and issue that pops up!

Okay possibly good news, I did manage to probably get half of a milliliter of milk and egg into the six skinny ones. This will either help them or kill them faster. 😕 ... I consolidated all nine babies together into one nest and I insulated the box well and put a heating pad under it. (It has been in the twenties for the past few days) When I put the box back Darla hopped in and appeared to nurse them. She remained in the nest box for probably 3 minutes at least. So I've got my fingers crossed that they were not too weak to nurse. When this weather breaks I will get some replacement milk and check on them again. Until then I'm going to leave them alone and let nature take its course, hopefully she will feed them. Thank you very much for all the help! I really appreciate this group and the ability to get advice and direction at a moment's notice!

IMG_20220224_141244369_HDR.jpg

What's Kefir?
Kefir is amazing. It is actually kind of a combination of yogurt and sourdough. It has both probiotic bacteria and probiotic yeasts. If you search online you will find many articles that talk about the health benefits of kefir. It actually is linked to positive effects for cancers and heart and mind. It is super easy to make and if you want some I can send you some kefir grains through the mail and they will work great. It is much much easier to make than yogurt - you pretty much mix it up and leave it on the counter for 24 hours and then strain it. Anyone who is interested just send me a private message and I will send you some kefir grains. It cost me $20 to get mine but I will share for free LOL because it grows all the time and I always have extra. (Plus it tastes great!)

- Liz

Update: Well, they're still alive . . .

I guess she is feeding them (and I use the term loosely) - they are alive, but still very pathetic looking. I picked up 2 - one felt more well-fed than the other. They will be a week old tomorrow and I will check again. She must be feeding them, so I'll quit worrying about it.

Darla_5_days_1.jpg

^^^ This one is more pathetic ^^^

Darla_5_days_2.jpg

^^^ This one seemed more well-fed ^^^

The heating pad seems to be a good idea. At least I don't worry in the 20 degree nights

I was curious how they were doing. The one in the first picture looks like he might not make it much longer, but the kit in the second picture looks much better. Do you think the doe might need some oats, BOSS, or calf manna to help increase her milk supply?

I bought heating pads for under nest boxes this winter, also. I haven't had to use them yet, but I am glad to have them available.

I was curious how they were doing. The one in the first picture looks like he might not make it much longer, but the kit in the second picture looks much better. Do you think the doe might need some oats, BOSS, or calf manna to help increase her milk supply?

I bought heating pads for under nest boxes this winter, also. I haven't had to use them yet, but I am glad to have them available.
She gets 'granola' every morning - rolled oats, wheat grain & sunflower seeds. She leaves the sunflower seeds in a little pile LOL . . . so now she gets it without them. Also some wheat fodder in the afternoons.

Latest posts

Back