Are rabbits good pets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartofagirl

Reaction score
So my question is what are rabbits like as pets? I've done a bit of research, but I think I would learn more from people who actually have a rabbit and not a general idea. Since I'm a dog person are rabbits anything like dogs? I read they can be potty trained and come when called, but I'm assuming they're not very affectionate or excited to see you when you get home? :lol:

I've also read since they're pray animals they don't enjoy being picked up/petted? So I'm curious what you do with your rabbit? Do you let him on the floor/in the house and let him/her do what she wants while you keep yourself entertained? I'm wondering if rabbits are more of a look don't touch kind of pet?

I look forward to your advice/suggestions. Thank you for your help.

I'm a dog person as well and rabbits are my next favourite companion animal.

They can be trained to come and do agility and use a litter pan but most do not like to be cuddled or held. They do like to flop on the couch next to you and be pet but not restrained. Mine run to the front of the cage and are eager to see me because I will provided treats and freedom. Males tend to be more affectionate, mine will rub against my legs and enjoys wresting with my hand in a sort of rabbit tag.

I would compare most rabbits personality to the sight hounds. They are not super loyal or obedient or cuddly but like to do their own thing and share their life with you rather than worshiping the ground you walk on like the retrievers or companion breeds.

If you have the space, time and money I would recommend a Flemish giant or cross. They are known for having very friendly and people oriented temperaments but due to their size they can have heart problems and die relatively young, however my Flemish x New Zealand buck is going on 10 and he has a fantastic puppy dog type temperament that he passes on to his kids.

The right rabbit can be a good pet. I've many rabbits but only 2 that really loved me. One would jump on me every chance he got. Another one always licked me. This is out of hundreds. I did not train them. The one that licked me did it since a baby. She would also jump from her cage to my bed when I opened the cage door. My problem is I don't know how to litter train them so I always end up with pee soaked bed.

Rabbits don't really like petting and cuddling but some will put up with it while others won't. Enki runs around like a maniac coming back to check on me every few minutes and sometimes lick my hand or nudge my foot but if you try to hold him he turns in to crazy rabbit and goes straight up in the air over your arms and is off again. Unnamed floppy ear (it was suppose to be sold and didn't so we haven't named her) usually picks a spot nearby and sits there. You can pet her and she just flattens and freezes until you're done. You can hold her but as soon as you let go she'll hop off and find a spot to sit again like on a pillow, blanket, tucked in a corner of furniture, etc... and spend hours like that watching you.

A lot of my rabbits enjoy being pet. Bucks are usually more friendly than does.

I would agree with the bucks being more affectionate. I think with rabbits it can be a crap shoot. Some of my rabbits will sit still long enough for me to pet them. Others will stay on the couch with me and run around and on me. Others will make a B line right for the floor and want nothing to do with me. I have two males that greet me when I come to their cages. They are a father and son pair. The son is my avatar. They are rather affectionate for rabbits. I've had dogs in the past and that sort of companionship I don't believe exists in the rabbit world. I'm not looking for that level of companionship so the love my rabbits give me is just fine by me. None of my rabbits are house trained though so I can't comment on how a rabbit behaves when they have the freedom to roam the house. I would like to have a house bunny but when I let one out he or she goes to the other rabbits and then everyone gets excited. Then the rabbit that is roaming just poops in front of everyone's cage.

99% of bucks will be better pets than does. ;) Also I believe breed plays a huge part when it comes to tractability. I have Mini Rex and Champagnes...the Mini Rex seem to love being handled, some even like to be picked up and hugged, and all but one of my MR loves to be petted. My Champagnes on the other hand...they want a treat, to be told they're a good boy/girl, and then they want me to get the heck out of their space and leave them alone. :lol:

I have a very interesting situation I was just talking about on my FB. I had a litter of Mini Rex and Champagnes born at the same time. I had all three Champagnes fostered over to the Mini Rex, who only had one surviving kit. So I know the Champagnes didn't learn their behavior from their mom, because their mom is the snuggliest, sweetest, friendliest rabbit I own! Those Champagne kits are just like the other Champagnes...they don't want to be petted or held, they won't play with toys, they just want some food and treats. The lone Mini Rex kit? Will scurry right up to the door whenever she hears me coming, and will play with toys and let me snuggle her.

Now...there are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule...I have a Mini Rex who doesn't like to be petted or handled, for example. She just hates being touched. She's a weirdo! :lol:

Your best bet for a good rabbit pet (and yes they make great pets if you get the right rabbit for you!) is to research various breeds, talk to breeders to get a feel for what they are like...and buy a pet-quality rabbit from a breeder. :)

If you like cute, small and friendly...Mini Rex and Mini Lops are pretty awesome. I've also heard a lot of good about Lionheads, too. :)

I have a gold tipped steel buck that is SUPER friendly. Loves to be petted, runs to greet me at the front of his cage, tolerates being picked up and is litter trained.

I have a champagne d'argent doe that is about the same. She LOVES to be scratched on the head and petted, she tolerates being picked up. She's soooo sweet.

I also have a checkered giant mixed breed and she's super affectionate. She'll "bump" me for pets even! She had a stuck kit and came to me looking for help and was so good while I helped her by pulling the kit out. She needed lots of cuddles afterward.

I've found that a lot of rabbits are as friendly as the time you put into them.

Where are you located? I can probably set you up with a friendly house rabbit of whatever size with the personality you want. I have mini rex, mini rex mystery crosses, 2 separate lines of netherland dwarf, and american sable. These are the last of my mr because I can't sell them around here so I'm only keeping one doe who was my first rabbit and is the sweetest doe ever. I haven't kept any of the american sable as house pets but they are complete pests in the colony. You have to feed them before doing work and filling waterers because otherwise you'll be tripping over them constantly.

I am considering finding a pet home for my Champagne D'Argent buck. He is so layed back. Wants to just be petted and not expected to do anything. I put does with him and if they play hard to get he will just flop down next to them. If he has to choose between a Doe and food he will take food. He will rather visit me than his does. Sure hope he gets more energetic. Rabbits make fun pets. They are very fun to watch and some will nudge us for attention.

I have a Rex that greets me with a nosey every morning, a Silver Fox that shoves his face under my hand everytime I open the cage, a Jersey Wooly that licks me and Angora that tolerates being carried very well. When I had pets only, my Nethie would stay perched on my shoulder and the holland followed me around the house and yard.

It is a crapshoot, finding one that is more people oriented, seems to happen most with the larger breeds, but they can be just like small dogs. I used to pick mine by sticking my hand in the cage, and the one that was unafraid and curious is the one I took home.

It's my opinion that many rabbits will be great pets if you spend many hours of direct contact before they are weened. Trouble is you pretty much have to breed them yourself because few breeders can spend all that time socializing them and still sell them to you for peanuts.

My Mini Lops are really sweet. I have some odd balls here and there but as long as I keep handling them and working with them, some come around. Some are natural introverts so they won't all be perfect. I only sell bucks to pet people because their chances are better for fun and cuddly but I actually have my barn favorites and they are...does! They are just big lumps of fur that don't care and don't mind if you want to spend a little time watching TV or hanging around.

I put a lot of work pulling them out each day though and inspect everyone for ailments. It's a routine because I swear....things can be perfect one day and they someone has something the next. You need to stay on top of it to maintain a large herd (Ours is 24 "main holes" + babies). One isn't nearly as much work though. They are really great pets. I just love having at least one in the house.

Litter training takes patience, but worth it. You need to stay on top of it. Usually the biggest mistake is that people want to play with their bun as soon as they get home, accidentally soils somewhere in the house, and then that becomes their potty place. Leave them in their cage and make sure they soil in there! Then when you are playing with your baby, remind yourself they have a little bladder and you need to keep taking them back to their cage just in case. If they have an accident, put them in the cage for a while.

I prefer to watch them at work than snuggling, but I think people need to understand that rabbits are like a dog and cat in one. They love their treat and hanging out now and then....but they also like to snooze or get into your things. You will notice their personality grow as they age

Really dependent on the individual, like others have said.

I've got a little Lionhead who is just the most adorable thing in the world, but she's very fussy and would rather I just give her more new things to chew on and stop pestering her all the time. She's naturally been very fastidious and have not had any potty issues with her, but she's really an adult-only kind of pet because she's a little on the mean side and pretty bossy. Personally, I love her, I don't mind that she's a brat, but some people in the family don't like her. >.>

My girlfriend though, has a Holland Lop which acts just like a small dog. Loves being pet, loves attention, and alternates between hopping around exploring and trying to climb in peoples' laps to sit. She has no concept of clean though and trashes her cage every night and poops all the time on everything.

It's amazing how much difference there is between two individuals though, it really is. I would recommend that, if you're going to pick one out somewhere, find one that's already been handled regularly by the owners and when you approach it either is curious in you or at least doesn't care about your presence, it'll make your job in socializing it that much easier.

They have individual personalities but what helps a lot is that rabbits have a whole range of social communications. They have specific actions and behaviors that tell other rabbits what they are feeling just the way dogs and cats do, using different signals. This makes it easier to interact with them in a way they understand and helps a lot with getting your rabbit accustomed to being a good companion. If someone could post the link to language of the lagomorphs it would help. I can't seem to find it on this computer.

I have 10 rabbits now and I think only 2 of them are super friendly and boys- I have a netherland dwarf that practically jumps in my arms when I open the cage and really seems to really enjoy being carried around as long as you rub his head. My Cashmere lop boy also is super affectionate and loves to be petted and loves to lick me. I have two other boys who don't like being petted. My four females like being petted in their cages but outside of their cages they ignore me.
I don't think rabbits can be compared to a dog as a pet though- dogs will love you and live just to be with you and other animals just aren't capable of that kind of devotion.

They certainly can be. My sweethearts are my does. We have a house rabbit whose worth her weight in gold(velveteen lop), but we had a rex before that who hit puberty and turned pretty fierce.

The surest way to tell? get a spayed / neutered bun, OR adopt one over 8 months old, so you know what their personality is like post puberty.

They are good pets, but they are a lot of work. If you have the time and money, they will be a good member of your family. Be sure to do as much research as possible before adopting, as their care is pretty unique and surprising sometimes!

Yes, they are good pets.
But they need excercise and activation to show you their personalities. Many learn tricks, most will be housetrained with an exception of a few dry pellets here and there, some gets completely devoted to their litterbox and use it always.

If you keep them in a large cage where they can jump and run and spend time with them, having their loose in your house with yoou (or bunny proof a room or the entire house), get to know them and like them, they're absolutely wonderful, funny, creative and etertaining pets.

If you put them in a regular pet-store cage and only feed them once a day they're gonna be the most boring pet on eart.
All animals need space to move about and enrichment in their ives, and I say this as a meat breeder ;)

I frankly wouldn't adopt a rabbit unless I had a good cause. Most of those finally turned over to shelters has spent their lives in a smallisg cage, with athrophied muscles and often a bad temper as a result. They miss out social training and trust to people, and I would imagine that most are not housetrained. Unlike meatrabbits, temper and toleranse to an inactive life is strikingly rare in pet bred rabbits (I'd imagine they'd need it more, but I suppose a whole lot of breeders go for the cuteness factor. Or perhaps the buyers go for cuteness factor and then get bored). In either case, I'd get a kit from a breeder with good reputation and friendly rabbit parents. That way you can at least give the rabbit a good start before it learns that people will forget about it and are not to be trusted.

We have one, who if after a few tries doesn't produce a litter, I'm gonna neuter him and keep him as a pet. He loves to be held, will snuggle into me and loves being petted and scratched. With that type of personality, I can't see him going to camp.

Latest posts

Back