An interesting vet visit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovehome

Reaction score
I have an awesome elop with great type and I really want to continue his lines in my crew. But after his first few shows, he started showing signs of matted paws so he stayed off the show table the rest of the spring. Although he had no sneezing and his nose remained dry, he still had these slightly matted paws this summer. With show and breeding season about to start, I decided to take him to the vet this week. I had sold some of my elops to a young lady who works at a vets office, so we talked (she is a 4Her) and she said, "Just tell her he is a show rabbit." I suspected then she would be a pet vet, so I was somewhat prepared for what happened at the visit.

The first question out of her mouth was "What size cage does he live in?" I knew then this was not going to be good, but I think she was surprised when I said 2 ft x 4 ft. She examined him, and diagnosed him with pododermatitis, saying she usually sees this on the back legs and bottom of the front legs in caged rabbits. She trimmed his paws, provided Silvadene cream and a sulfa-trim antibiotic. She said he is not contagious.

Then she told me to put him in an aquarium with carefresh bedding. I said, "Excuse me, an "aquarium?" She said yes, the ones with the glass walls. She didn't act like she was kidding. I can not imagine anything worse to put a rabbit in. I don't know if I rolled my eyes or my chinned dropped. I tried not to react at all....

:shock:

Right :roll: beccause everyone has a 120 gallon aquarium lying around to use as a hospital tank for rabbits or the $400 burning a hole in their pocket so they can go out and buy one :mrgreen:

Did she give any reason why -in her professional opinion - an aquarium should be used ? Especially since they no longer even recommend them for reptiles since the air circulation is so poor :D

Them thar edjuecat'd peoples knows soooo much ;)

No, Dood, she didn't. And I was too stunned to think to ask. I just wanted out of there at that point, LOL.

Rodents do very well in aquariums and it is the safest option. They need a deep digging area which wire cannot provide but they chew through plastic. I had 3 gerbil escapes from plastic bottom cages last time I raised them. Degus are also often kept in aquariums because the darn things are like gerbils on steroids and will even eat the rim off your tank and then start on the glass. I had a $200 90gallon for my degus though.

Now of course a rabbit does not belong in an aquarium. Neither do guinea pigs. They are too big and produce too much ammonia.

A rabbit...in a aquarium :shock:

Is she TRYING to give him a respiratory illness?

I'd also like to mention that I HATED carefresh bedding for rabbits, because it holds feces and urine right on the surface and would soak and muck up their paws. Changing it daily wasn't enough to keep the rabbits clean.

If I have to use a bedding like that, I always add a layer of non-absorbent straw over top to keep the rabbit dry and up above it's waste.

I adopted my bun when she was in the pet store I work at. There were 3 Flemish giant mixes in a 40 gallon breeder aquarium! I couldn't stand her being in there so I took her home at the end of the day when she was the last one. So glad I did. They were only in there one day, but I didn't want her to be in there any longer

I have kept rabbits quarantined in my 100 gallon show tank with a hardware cloth "lid". I used pine pellets as bedding, and as long as it was kept relatively clean by replacing the disintegrated bedding so the area stayed dry, there wasn't any noticeable ammonia odor.

Back when I had a house rabbit, she was kept in a plexiglass "cage" that my husband made for me. She never had any respiratory issues, but she was litter trained and the box was kept clean.

In my experience, as long as steps are taken to ensure a clean environment, rabbits can be safely housed in a "tank".

MamaSheepdog":3oiyp1h0 said:
I have kept rabbits quarantined in my 100 gallon show tank with a hardware cloth "lid". I used pine pellets as bedding, and as long as it was kept relatively clean by replacing the disintegrated bedding so the area stayed dry, there wasn't any noticeable ammonia odor.

Back when I had a house rabbit, she was kept in a plexiglass "cage" that my husband made for me. She never had any respiratory issues, but she was litter trained and the box was kept clean.

In my experience, as long as steps are taken to ensure a clean environment, rabbits can be safely housed in a "tank".

Well, yeah it makes sense that can be done IF you have the right size and shape of tank. And a cool dry place to keep it. AC in the room would be a plus. In the high humidity, warm temps and no AC I have. I wouldn't even consider it. I have two rabbits in the house right now, both are in solid bottomed wire pens and are very grateful for the fans I keep blowing in those rooms!

It just seems like too much could go wrong with an aquarium to make it their first choice, over a standard pet shop style solid bottomed wire sided rabbit pen.

Humidity is definitely not a problem here, lol!

You are absolutely right, it would be a really bad idea in that environment.

Zass":nc925918 said:
How common are 100 gallon or more tanks that a vet would make an aquarium their first choice, over a standard pet shop style solid bottomed wire sided rabbit pen?

I certainly wouldn't stuff a rabbit into your standard 10 gallon tank. :x It is very odd that the vet would suggest a tank over the pet store style cages. :?

ilovehome":nc925918 said:
provided Silvadene cream and a sulfa-trim antibiotic.

I have never heard of Silvadene cream, so I looked it up. Personally, I would use Nu-Stock or Blu-Kote instead.

Silvadene is for external use only. Avoid getting Silvadene in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Silvadene in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool tap water.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/Silvadene.html

More info on treatment options:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_disea ... d/Podo.htm

MamaSheepdog":1sxck466 said:
I have never heard of Silvadene cream, so I looked it up. Personally, I would use Nu-Stock or Blu-Kote instead.

Silvadene is for external use only. Avoid getting Silvadene in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Silvadene in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool tap water.
I absolutely agree -- the rabbit will (not might... WILL) lick the Silvadene in that location! Also, when the bun cleans his face, he could end up with it in his eyes. I don't get it.

I would definitely use Nu-Stock or Blu-Kote instead. Both are safe. Blu-Kote might be a better option, because it does dry. It's possible Nu-Stock might irritate the eyes, if he got it in there. I'm not sure. Both are inexpensive.

Ummm...Blue-kote has the same warnings ... :shrug:
Blu-Kote Caution

For external veterinary use only. In case of serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, or if redness, irritation or swelling persists or increases, discontinue use and consult a veterinarian. Keep away from eyes, mouth, nostrils, and mucous membranes. Do not use on cats. Prevent dogs from licking the treated area. To prevent any product leftover to contaminate the milk, wash treated teats/udder thoroughly before milking.
As does Nu-Stock
Cautions: Nu-Stock. To prevent eye contamination, wear protective gloves when applying this product or wash hands thoroughly after applying. Topical use only-Consumption of this medication may cause nausea and vomiting in animals. (Due to its bitter taste, most animals will not lick this product. However, to prevent them from licking, use a bandage, muzzle, old t-shirt, E-collar, etc.) Prolonged or frequent use may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. If signs of sensitivity occur after using any topical medication, bathe animal with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult a veterinarian immediately. Use sparingly on pets under 12 weeks of age.

I doubt he needs to be on anything, really. He has no sores or lesions that need to heal! The different color you see is where they shaved him. I am waiting to hear from one of the ARBA vets about the silvadene.

Attachments

• IMG_4671_2.jpg
    IMG_4671_2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_4674_2.jpg
    IMG_4674_2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 760
Wow, those feet are nice, fluffy and very clean!

Slightly matted paws with no sneezing for several months would typically make me suspect allergies or something minorly irritating, like dust.

That's why I don't really like topicals that aren't rinsed off. They are all potential health hazards when eaten. Even your basic antibiotic cream says do not ingest. Sometimes you do need something that stays on though so you have to pick what is the lesser evil.

Dood":311ylmt7 said:

Hmm. Maybe that is a standard disclaimer in the pharmaceutical industry then. :? I have used both Blu-kote and Nu-Stock on rabbits and other livestock in areas that can be licked and have not noted any negative effects.

Dood":1b186xsf said:
Blu-Kote Caution

For external veterinary use only. In case of serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, or if redness, irritation or swelling persists or increases, discontinue use and consult a veterinarian. Keep away from eyes, mouth, nostrils, and mucous membranes. Do not use on cats. Prevent dogs from licking the treated area. To prevent any product leftover to contaminate the milk, wash treated teats/udder thoroughly before milking.
As does Nu-Stock
Cautions: Nu-Stock. To prevent eye contamination, wear protective gloves when applying this product or wash hands thoroughly after applying. Topical use only-Consumption of this medication may cause nausea and vomiting in animals. (Due to its bitter taste, most animals will not lick this product. However, to prevent them from licking, use a bandage, muzzle, old t-shirt, E-collar, etc.) Prolonged or frequent use may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. If signs of sensitivity occur after using any topical medication, bathe animal with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult a veterinarian immediately. Use sparingly on pets under 12 weeks of age.
Interesting, especially with the Nu-Stock... I guess that statement is on the new tube I just bought, but it wasn't on the first one I bought, nor was it online. And the stuff's been around for a long time, so it's not like they just discovered it has terrible side effects or something. (As for Blu-Kote, I haven't actually seen a can of it; only Wound-Kote Blue Lotion, which is similar, but not the same.)

Maybe it's some legal cover-your-tuchis thing, like the disclaimers they have to put on lawnmowers now, cautioning users that they are not intended to be used as hedge clippers? Or maybe like the "ban dihydrogen monoxide" prank? :twisted:

Could be the same for the Silvadene, too... where it's basically harmless, but they have to put all this scary stuff on it for legal reasons. :shrug:

Latest posts

Back