American Persimmon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooo send me some persimmon trees. I'm not sure I can come up with an answer to this one. This says the persimmon is the largest berry and plants with edible berries are usually safe. It also says the leaves are safe to eat and the seeds can be ground with coffee beans. http://www.eattheweeds.com/persimmons-p ... r-power-2/

On the other hand it does seem there might be a tannin concern and a wood working site mentions occasional reactions to contact with the wood. Most things are suggested to be dried for use whether eating the leaves and seeds or in the finished product of wood items. I'd probably toss it to my guinea pigs and see what they eat. They are very good at determining safe from unsafe and even the quantity to eat.

I did throw a small branch into a small grow out pen. They ate it with no ill effect that I could see. I can find no information at all about edibility besides it being a deer forage.

White-Tailed Deer also browse on the foliage and twigs of this tree (Martin et al., 1951/1961).

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/tre ... simmon.htm

I could possibly send you some seeds?

I'm not very good at growing things from seed but persimmons look really hardy. Especially to transplanting. There are vids and instructions of people just pulling them out of one pot, knocking the dirt off, and planting them at a somewhat random depth in the next size up of pot. It might be worth a try if I can find somewhere to fit one. I'm not sure how close I can plant to the ash tree that takes over the top of the yard.

From what I read most of the persimmons sold in stores are from Asian species so nothing native to the US would produce the same persimmons anyway. Plus the cultivars seem mostly only hardy to zone 6 while american persimmon is hardy to zone 4. We got moved from zone 4 to zone 5 recently.

Latest posts

Back