Algae in watering system?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhodgejr

Reaction score
What are some things I could do to help ensure no algae is growing inside the pipes of my watering system? When cleaning out the bucket this evening, I noticed that aside from a bit of sand, there was a little slimy-ness to it. I know I can clean the bucket but what can I do about the PVC piping itself to prevent algae build up?

regular 'dosing' with regular strength chlorine bleach-- no scent, as it leaves behind a flavor-- One Tablespoon per gallon of water is the amount if we use the water for drinking purposes for people. If the water is moving fairly well, the lines themselves should stay clear of algae-- Also, the lines should be lightproof-- the darker the area the water is, the less likely any algae will grow

No, Hypocloride is also useful for DISINFECTING YOUR WATER
pretty much the same thing as pool water....

If you have 1"PVC you can get a bottle cleaner brush with a loop in it
index.jsp

get a string long enough and strong enough (nylon probably not cotton twill)
tie a littel stick or something and use a garden hose to flush the string down the line, have a sting on both ends and you can clean it
otherwise the bleach every so often will keep done fine too.

Jack":2wiyza5q said:
No, Hypocloride is also useful for DISINFECTING YOUR WATER
pretty much the same thing as pool water....

If you have 1"PVC you can get a bottle cleaner brush with a loop in it
index.jsp

get a string long enough and strong enough (nylon probably not cotton twill)
tie a littel stick or something and use a garden hose to flush the string down the line, have a sting on both ends and you can clean it
otherwise the bleach every so often will keep done fine too.

THAT is an ingenious idea, Jack! :up:

Latest posts

Back