Alfalfa hay...or Alfalfa cubes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
I can get alfalfa hay now at the local Rural King, but it's $14 for the small bale (think 2'x2'). Not very cost effective I am thinking.

On the other hand I saw some 50lb bags of alfalfa cubes, they are pressed into cubes with steam, nothing else added, in the horse feed section. I think they were $17 for the 50lb bag.

Anyone ever used these before. Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? Thank you,

Joe

I use both. Right now baled hay is $18 for about 100lbs. Cubes are $15 for 50lbs. I give cubes as an occasional treat since they are very hard and good for their teeth. I prefer feeding the hay in its baled form. They spend all day nibbling on it.

I use a western Timothy hay that I put in tubes for them to play with and munch on. I also have alfalfa cubes I give them to chew on, takes them a few weeks to go thru a cube. The fed I use us a mixture of a timothy based pellets and alfalfa pellets. I am always cautious of too much alfalfa in their diet.

I have cubes, but the horses like them more than any other of my animals...hay is always a last choice for everyone here, too...picky little rats!

I used to get them by the lb at Pet supplies plus. No one ever at them. They were more like toys if they were ever touched. Using alfalfa/timothy/clover mix helps me reduce the amount of pellets fed.

I've used alfalfa cubes to supplement grass hay when I have run short of alfalfa hay. The rabbits like them okay... but I prefer to buy a square bale of alfalfa hay at $3.50 than a sack of cubes at $15.

My rabbits love the cubes, they'll go for them before the pellets some days. I like the cubes because they're easier for me to store and i have no place to keep hay at all. I know the quality will be there since the cubes are made for horses.

The down side of cubes if you're using water crocks is that the cubes so often turn into "hay soup".

I have tried giving alfalfa cubes to my rabbits and they won't touch them.

(This thread is a little old, but I've been out of town.)

I used to feed alfalfa hay, which I could get for $7-8 per 50-lb bale. When I moved here, I couldn't get alfalfa hay for any price (prob. wrong time of year). I wasn't too hopeful about the alfalfa cubes, because my buns have refused the alfalfa pellets in the past, but they seem to be doing well on the cubes, which are about the same price as the bales, and they waste a LOT less of the cubes.

SatinsRule":2aws7opq said:
The down side of cubes if you're using water crocks is that the cubes so often turn into "hay soup".

Why is that?? Mine do it every time I give them to them. No matter where I put them they pick them up and drop them in their water bowls! Eckkky

Has anyone gotten a bag of alfalfa hay that is shredded? I got a 35lb bag for $18 (still searching for a cheaper source...) and when I put it in the buns just sniffed it. This is their first time eating hay, and they have greens and grain too (yummier than hay), but... has anyone had rabbits eat the shredded kind?

Back