Aggressive bunny

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernnevadahollandlops

Reaction score
I posted this on the pet forum too, hoping to get some good advice for my buyer ...

I had a buyer reach out to me yesterday asking advice on her bunny becoming very aggressive, lunging and biting, to the point their daughter is now afraid of the bunny. I've never had any issues like this so I was unsure what to say. The rabbit is a 6 month old Holland lop, so I told her that Ellie (the rabbit) has likely been going through puberty and the changes in her hormones can change her behavior. I recommended they have her spayed, but beyond that, is there anything I can tell her?

Seeing that it's a Doe, I'd say that she REALLY wants babies
Could that be it?!? The does I keep are always first time mamas around 6 months and I've never had an issue with aggression. Hopefully, since they don't want to breed her, spaying her will take care of that. Anyone have a fixed female that still shows signs of wanting to be a mama?

Could that be it?!? The does I keep are always first time mamas around 6 months and I've never had an issue with aggression. Hopefully, since they don't want to breed her, spaying her will take care of that. Anyone have a fixed female that still shows signs of wanting to be a mama?
I have a Doe named Pearl and she was so nice but one day she randomly turned to angy and squeaks whenever I touch her
She really wants kits
She's about five or five and a half monthsIMG_20220325_155032266.jpg

I have to agree with the others. When a doe hits that level of maturity she can get agressive and usually a litter of kits cures it. You can try to convince her she's behaving badly by pointedly turning your back on her when she puts her ears back to lunge at you. It may not work on all rabbits but has worked on many. Do it every time she tries to lunge until she learns to behave. Turning their back on each other and flicking a hind foot is how rabbits show displeasure with another rabbit's behavior. If a rabbit does this to you know you've upset it by something you've done.

I have had at least one long-time breeder tell me that the best rabbits for pets are bucks. The does can get nasty when they mature and are ready for breeding, and then it is a big disappointment for the person raising it if they are not intending to breed it. Bucks can have a more constant temperament and behavior (usually, but not always).

Latest posts

Back