After so long, finally have my first rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after many years of planning and convincing, I have finally gotten myself some rabbits! Cages are all set up, waste management is all planned out, food and what not taken care of, cooling taken care of, it feels nice!
Got myself 2 Californians (doe and buck) from a wonderful lady that would've shown them in my area but couldn't because of the lockdowns, her and her daughter do shows often so i'm excited to see her in the future when i can start showing myself.
Also got myself a mixed meat mutt doe that should be due to give birth on 22nd. She was a little worse for wear because her seller had her in a small cage with about 15 other rabbits, and a wound that i thought was originally ringworm may actually be a bite from one of the larger does that was in the same cage as her. I checked her 2 days ago and she seems to be healing up nicely, but i was sad to find other older scars on her body from previous attacks :(
Regardless, i'm gonna try my hand at palpating for the first time soon here, just to double check that the mutt doe that i have is actually pregnant, and i'll post pics here when (or if) she gives birth!

:congratulations:

I hope your doe gets used to living alone quickly, I once had a doe in a trio that drew the short straw in the pecking order, was a much happier rabbit alone.

Honestly, I suck at palpating, and my does hate being touched there anyway. I just wait the full time, and most times it gets somewhat obvious in the last week although sometimes I see nothing. Patience :)

every chance I get I encourage people not to colony raise unless I see that they have a BIG area well set up with lots of places for rabbits to get away from each other. Too many rabbits get beat up that way.

So pleased you could pull her out of that situation. May she have good young for you. :)

thanks everyone for the warm regards!
as for the meat mutt doe thats pregnant... im beginning to suspect E. Cuniculi unfortunately. shes not displaying any sort of head tilt or issues with her back legs, but she is starting to show some inflammation and small cataract in her left eye that looks very similar to phacoclastic uveitis. about a week ago the cataract looked as healthy as one might look, and yesterday there was no inflammation, but today the eye is red and surrounding blood vessels in the eye are inflamed as well. the iris still reacts to light though, so i think thats a somewhat good sign. the lesion on her neck is also looking better as well.
heres what it looks like
pepper_eye_5-12.png

should i give her a couple more days to see how it progresses? for reference this is what the eye looked like 8 days ago
unknown.png

I've had success clearly these eye issues with repeated doses of Ivermectin. Usually takes a month or so, every 8 days another pea sized amount.

So my doe seems to be doing a lot better! the thing in her eye hasnt gotten any better or worse, but the inflammation is gone and she is really lively again. so far ive just been feeding her plants in the allium family (chives and leek greens) and it seems to be helping. i got some ivermectin, but im holding off using it until she gives birth 2 days from now. the stuff i got is 1.87% ivermectin and says its safe to feed to pregnant animals, but i figure safer is better for now with her so close.
thanks for the advice guys, once she gives birth ill post pics of the little peanuts :D

Latest posts

Back