Advice Needed - Accidental Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad Habit":2prtmfzf said:
I considered using it for dog food, as my dog has weird digestion, but they're just little guys, Lionheads. Dad's 3.5lbs, mum's 4.5lbs(was 3.5lbs before her first pregnancy). The problem with that, is I'm going to get attached growing them as pets initially, and probably won't be able to take them off to be butchered. I believe if I raised them with the thought in mind "these will be food, don't get too attached" I'd be fine, maybe. Would never be able to butcher or dress them out myself.

Am hoping that any and all find loving homes, though. I already have homes for 2 from this litter, and they won't be able to go for at least 2 and a half weeks, at the very earliest. Hoping that from this 2nd litter I will find one that I absolutely cannot part with, because I didn't quite feel that bond with any in this litter. There was one, the chestnut doe, but my nephew fell in love with her, and since I don't really have a reason to keep one with this 2nd litter on the way, I'm letting them take her.

So here's hoping. If not, I'll keep my minor meltdown hidden from you here, because I'd really hate to have to process my adorable little babies.
Name animals that you are going to process with names like drumstick, sirloin, fryer, ect. ;)

Well, the little wench has started building her nest, pulling hair. Today is day 30, so shall update when she kindles. Probably tomorrow night or Tuesday night. FML.

I considered using it for dog food, as my dog has weird digestion, but they're just little guys, Lionheads. Dad's 3.5lbs, mum's 4.5lbs(was 3.5lbs before her first pregnancy).

I've used mini rex and netherland dwarf as dog food. Less processing because 1 whole rabbit makes a meal instead of having to cut it apart for several days of feeding. Even my 80lb akita who is hard to keep weight on won't eat the next day if her meal is over 3lbs. The shiba needs a whole 1/2lb to maintain weight.

Name animals that you are going to process with names like drumstick, sirloin, fryer, ect.

Even with some of the rabbits we plan to sell they get names like "feed bag" because that's what the money from their sale is going towards. I can only sell certain colors of netherlands well and only have 1 every few litters that makes the standard for keeping so by the time they are 4 weeks in my head they've been divided in to rabbit feed, dog food, and future breeding or show stock.

Started nesting at 8pm. Kindled by 11pm. Not sure if she's done, and won't take out the nest to check til morning. Caught her cleaning up either a blood spot or a placenta, though. Guess I saw her giving birth, but thought she was just pulling more hair.

My estimate is 8 kits, but that was without me actually pulling them out to look. Looks like a couple have heavy VM markings like their dad.

Alright, bad girl, had to pull them out and check, didn't want to leave any stillborns with the heat. Didn't touch any with my hands, though, just used a piece of hay to gently touch them and ensure that all were responsive. Looks like 6. No stillborns. At this point my guess is 2 harlequins, and 2 with VM. Try as he might, Dobby is not escaping the cage this time... Actually have a few small key locks holding it closed. Gonna be a pain to open it, but really all I could do at this point - organizing forced me to put the doe back in the top of the 2 part cage, since the kits can escape that cage.

Kinda wondering if she's not done yet. She's still acting off, and her abdomen still feels very firm, like she's still holding babies.

There is nothing wrong with checking the nest right away. My does are often kindling when I do my morning feeding, and I take the nests out right after they finish, and pick up all of the kits. Often they are still damp and bloody, and there are bloody shavings and hay to be removed. The does get a treat when I pull the nest out, and munch contentedly on that while I clean the nest and check the kits over.

I know you felt bad about this litter being conceived, but congratulations on the kits anyway! :)

283775_10151037099512319_1904878269_n.jpg

The popples, 24hrs old. I dunno that they've been fed, they seem awful skinny and were trying to nurse my hand whenever I went near them.

I dunno, I'm not sure I like this litter better than the first. Lots of harlequins.

:mbounce: At least they'll be wonderful dog food/rabbit feed/"we can find room for one more"

Mum's a harlequin. Last litter had 3 harlequins, but one was stillborn, and the other was the runt/looked like it got squashed, so only ended up with one at the end. She's a pretty little blue harlequin, though, which I do like. Am interested to see how #3 turns out, as it is primarily dark. Dad's a blue with vienna markings. Oh well, it is definitely fun to watch them grow, going to be sad to send the little snots on their way. Lily has been in the nest, though, so I think they've been fed, at least. Am hoping to keep one of this litter - wanted to keep one of last, but want to try and keep a female in with the mumma, and didn't think it would go well with her having another litter.

How cute! I love harlie coloring! Maybe by the time these are old enough to butcher or pet out, you'll have another litter on purpose with cute buns to play with.

lol nooooo way. I'm worried enough about rehoming these, or finding someone to send them to FC for me, as I'm by and far too squeamish. Planning the next litter, my friend got an adorable 1/2 lionhead broken black buck, so waiting for him to be old enough to breed before the next litter... And debating keeping a pretty little doe from this 2nd litter to use instead of Lily, since I'm not a huge fan of harlequin. The initial plan was one litter for Lily, pick a nice little doe and continue with her.

Back