Advice Needed - Accidental Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Okay, first, please don't judge/insult me. I feel horrible about this, and really don't need to be shamed on the internet. I haven't posted this anywhere else, because I am worried about what will be said, and what backlash would happen, but I do need advice, and I believe this is the place where I will get the least abuse for asking for advice.

So, I use those cube-y things to make my own cages, and binder clips to hold them closed. I have the cages stacked one on top of the other, and they share a door. Never had a problem before.

I bred my doe, made a nest box, seemed to have done everything right, because she made a lovely nest, had her litter in the box, and everything went well. I went out for the day, thinking nothing of the buck's investigations of the top of his cage/bottom of the doe's cage. My readings had told me that bucks find does who have just kindled irresistable, but I guess I didn't realize just how bad it was.

When I came home after helping my mum in her yard for 6 hours, I found the cage door open, one of the binder clips was actually bent from the force of the rabbits trying to get out. I don't know how long they were out together, but up to 6 hours. When I checked them after I caught them, I checked them out. He had hair wrapped around his boy parts, and looked chafed. She was swollen and red, but that would be expected after having kindled anyway. It was relatively hot, so hoped and prayed that the buck was sterile.

We're closing in on the end though. Babies will be weaned on or around Friday. 31 days is a week from Tuesday. Was initially planning on doing a slow wean starting at 4 weeks, to help her dry up, but now unsure. Should I pull them all out all at once? Leave one or two in case she didn't take? Was 4.5lbs before she kindled. Dropped to 4lbs, and slowly crept back up to 4.5lbs. My mum says she's probably pregnant, as she should have lost weight while nursing.

Basically, I need any tips and advice I can get. I tried palpating her, but had no real idea what I was doing, and she got upset. She's not started nesting yet. I just don't know what to do, and feel so bad for allowing that to happen.

Palpitating will not help until day 10 or so. Even then it is not easy the first few times you do it. Other than that unless there is a large size difference there is not much to be worried about. Yes you didn't want to have back to back litters, but there are people who re-bred their does after the 4th week. It is hard on the the female especially in the summer but what done is done and can only wait and see.

Uhm, might not have explained myself well. She was covered the day she kindled. I did try palpating around the 10th day. Her current kits will be just over 4wks and just barely weaned when she will kindle again if it took.

I did forget to mention that I have rectified the caging issue so this can NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

I was going to say the same thing. Best not to worry about it. Though unplanned in your case, some of use breed back to back, some of us breed on a day 14, day 28 breed back schedule. The biggest problem, if she is pregnant, is the heat. After you palpate, and even if you feel nothing, just be prepared to take some measures to keep her cool.

Okay, first, please don't judge/insult me. I feel horrible about this, and really don't need to be shamed on the internet. I haven't posted this anywhere else, because I am worried about what will be said, and what backlash would happen, but I do need advice, and I believe this is the place where I will get the least abuse for asking for advice.

What they said. Also...I seriously doubt anyone here is gonna throw nasty insults around, especially over something like an accidental litter. Who knows- this unexpected litter could be awesome!

Best of luck no matter what. :)

Pull all the kits out and place in their own holding pen/cage.
Supply a nestbox to the Doe. Does are actually more receptive
right after kindling. [giving birth] Not such a big problem
as Rabbits are breeding machines, though it is not a good idea
to breed too often back, it is done by quite a few breeders.
I would not fret too much over it, it just might turn out to be a good thing!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

How DARE YOU BREED RABBITS! :jedai:

Just kidding! Some people have colonies, and their does end up getting bred right when they kindle too. 'tis natural. Sounds like you'll want to move kits by the time day 28 rolls around, and you give a nice shiny nest box. If she's prego, her milk will already have dried up, I believe. Either way, it's probably better to be safe than sorry and just act like she's gonna have more babies. Maybe just pull a few babies out each day. They'll be fine.

I agree, this may be the best litter you've gotten from these two. You are dealing with live animals with agendas of their own, stuff happens. If this was her eighth litter in eight months and she was really out of condition I'd say something then about giving her a break but everyone has Oops litters. If you really need to beat yourself up about this you are hereby limited to one mental slap upside the head

I agree that you shouldn't worry about it, but I would check her condition. You mentioned that she gained back a few ounces, but run your hand over her spine to check her weight. Spiky= too thin, rounded knobs= just right, can't feel it= too fat.

I usually up my does feed a little bit once they kindle, and slowly increase it as the kits grow, but she may need more than that. You might want to continue free feeding her.

Good luck! I have heard that litter size increases when they breed immediately like that, so hopefully you'll get a nice litter out of her. :) If she does well with the litter, you may have learned a valuable lesson from this accident! Does that can handle high frequency breedings without losing condition are a valuable addition to any herd.

You're not alone, same thing happened here..

Doe kindled 18 june, she is in a large pen and i accidentally left a table in front of the fence so he could jump on it and leap into the pen, he rebred the doe and now she in the 3rd week of pregnancy, kits are 3 weeks old today and very small, they need more milk and care from the mother but that's just not what she planned.. i hate it too but stuff happens i guess.

Just think, your little rabbits had an oops litter, at least YOU didn't have an oops litter lol :p they should be ok. See how much better it is when it's put in that perspective? Lol

That's funny, Shelbers. An extra bunny litter doesn't sound too bad, after all!

Shelbers91":3denun6r said:
Just think, your little rabbits had an oops litter, at least YOU didn't have an oops litter lol :p they should be ok. See how much better it is when it's put in that perspective? Lol

Yeah, I heard ya. It could have been an oops litter of german shepherds from and under-aged girl :(

Just wait, this will probably be the biggest litter yet :)

Well, it's only her 2nd breeding, and I didn't intend to breed again until the new year. These guys are just for pets, and I don't really have enough space to keep many that don't sell. I'm worried that it's going to be a big litter, as well.

The kits seem to be in fine condition and she's not all blobby and fat, but definitely not too skinny. I test the same way I test the dog - should feel but not see the backbone. Should be a layer of fat over the ribs, but ribs easily felt. She and the kits are on free feeding, and between her and the 5 little ones, they're going through about 3 cups of food a day. I have been giving her BOSS as well, just a pinch a couple times a week, and she gobbles those up. Lots of greens as well.

Thanks for understanding, guys. The other rabbit forums I've lurked on have torn people to pieces for a single breeding, and I guess I'm still stuck in the mindset that I'm automatically going to be thought of as a bad person for breeding at all. I guess I really needed the reassurance that she would be okay, and that it doesn't make me a bad person. Will keep you guys updated - Lily should kindle again in a week.

Bad Habit":epabu28f said:
Well, it's only her 2nd breeding, and I didn't intend to breed again until the new year. These guys are just for pets, and I don't really have enough space to keep many that don't sell. I'm worried that it's going to be a big litter, as well.

The kits seem to be in fine condition and she's not all blobby and fat, but definitely not too skinny. I test the same way I test the dog - should feel but not see the backbone. Should be a layer of fat over the ribs, but ribs easily felt. She and the kits are on free feeding, and between her and the 5 little ones, they're going through about 3 cups of food a day. I have been giving her BOSS as well, just a pinch a couple times a week, and she gobbles those up. Lots of greens as well.

Thanks for understanding, guys. The other rabbit forums I've lurked on have torn people to pieces for a single breeding, and I guess I'm still stuck in the mindset that I'm automatically going to be thought of as a bad person for breeding at all. I guess I really needed the reassurance that she would be okay, and that it doesn't make me a bad person. Will keep you guys updated - Lily should kindle again in a week.

Anyone that would beat YOU up because your RABBITS did what comes natural to them is not worth the time or effort to spend worrying about... :)

OneAcreFarm":1sp1gb1f said:
Anyone that would beat YOU up because your RABBITS did what comes natural to them is not worth the time or effort to spend worrying about... :)

I agree with OneAcremFarm. Seems like your rabbits were just doing what rabbits want to do. You corrected the cage issue... if she kindles enjoy it. If not, no harm no foul.

50 lashes with a wet noodle for you! :lol:

While I might question someone who INTENTIONALLY breeds without a plan for where the rabbits will go, we all know that things happen in spite of our best precautions, especially when we're new and don't realize the escape capabilities and determination of a rabbit. :roll: LOL!

From what you describe, it sounds as though she has the condition to handle it without too much trouble. I generally don't recommend a rapid breed-back unless the breeder knows what he's doing and can keep a close watch on the doe's condition, but I think your rabbits will be fine.

If you do end up with more kits than you can sell as pets, have you thought about maybe selling the extras to snake or dog owners, or maybe trying one for meat for yourself?

I considered using it for dog food, as my dog has weird digestion, but they're just little guys, Lionheads. Dad's 3.5lbs, mum's 4.5lbs(was 3.5lbs before her first pregnancy). The problem with that, is I'm going to get attached growing them as pets initially, and probably won't be able to take them off to be butchered. I believe if I raised them with the thought in mind "these will be food, don't get too attached" I'd be fine, maybe. Would never be able to butcher or dress them out myself.

Am hoping that any and all find loving homes, though. I already have homes for 2 from this litter, and they won't be able to go for at least 2 and a half weeks, at the very earliest. Hoping that from this 2nd litter I will find one that I absolutely cannot part with, because I didn't quite feel that bond with any in this litter. There was one, the chestnut doe, but my nephew fell in love with her, and since I don't really have a reason to keep one with this 2nd litter on the way, I'm letting them take her.

So here's hoping. If not, I'll keep my minor meltdown hidden from you here, because I'd really hate to have to process my adorable little babies.

Back