Abigail Jean Hernandez

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ixcali

Reaction score
7F69A8A1-CB07-4501-ADB2-128BABEF9BD8.jpeg7F69A8A1-CB07-4501-ADB2-128BABEF9BD8.jpeg
Hello I started this account just for fun and to get some support from people who may know what theyre talking about when it comes to the care of rabbits. I have only one rabbit, a mini rex i got my senior year of high school through FFA. I was supposed to sell her at the state fair but i ditched class that day because I couldnt bear with the idea of giving her away after so many weeks training and her being my companion. She is now about 5 years old, still unspayed.. and has been with me from my move from California to Texas.

Shes temperamental and bitchy, most likely due to her not being spayed. I havent had the money to get operation done but i have to admit I'm so nervous to do it because ive had a pet cat pass during surgery and it was traumatic. I love her still after the times she bit and chased me. Recently she has had more what I believe are false pregnancies. She will pluck out her fur and gather her blankets to a corner and be very territorial.

She also is more interested in pellets than hay right now, any tips to get her to eat more hay? Will also not stop tearing up the paint on the walls does anyone have a way to stop that as well? Abigail is also shedding right now, wondering if theres anything i could do with the fur i pluck out haha just feels a waste.

I also did not pick her name, it came on her birth certificate and decided at the time to keep it because i thought i would sell her anyway.
Thank you for reading cant wait to explore more of this site :)

I have never had a spayed rabbit, so I have no idea how that might alter temperament. That said, do you know how to tell her who is boss in rabbit talk?

When rabbits work thru the pecking order to determine who the boss is, they place their weight over the back of the other rabbit‘s shoulders and neck. This goes on until one rabbit finally submits to being subordinate to the other.

I have found that when a rabbit is being difficult, just strike that same rabbit pose by placing your hand upon the rabbit’s shoulder and neck area, press down and with your voice gently remind her that you are top bunny and not she. You must be consistent and do this every time she steps out of line. Eventually you will see her behavior change and she won’t need spayed for you to affect this change in her behavior.

I just trained my 9 year old granddaughter to do this, as I recently gifted to her as a pet an REW runt of the litter. as she pulled that particular rabbit from the litter cage each day for cuddles and playtime, the little runt sure began to realize just how privileged her life had become and began to bite my granddaughter every time she went to put her back into the cage with her litter mates. She simply liked her new found human and didn’t want to return to the rabbit world each day and thought she could make her human do what she wanted through biting. After sessions of teaching the runt that my granddaughter was the decision maker and not she, the biting stopped.

Your Abigail is adorable. I have a rabbit named Abigail, too. :)

Back