A Speech Every American High School Principal Should Give.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
In another thread we have been discussing the sad state of affairs in our schools and the behavior of our youth. I just received this email, and thought I would share it. --MSD

FINALLY - - Someone in the teaching profession had the courage to set the standards so badly needed NOW.

By Dennis Prager.

To the students and faculty of our high school:

I am your new principal, and honored to be so. There is no greater calling than to teach young people.

I would like to apprise you of some important changes coming to our school. I am making these changes because I am convinced that most of the ideas that have dominated public education in America have worked against you, against your teachers and against our country.

First, this school will no longer honor race or ethnicity. I could not care less if your racial makeup is black, brown, red, yellow or white. I could not care less if your origins are African, Latin American, Asian or European, or if your ancestors arrived here on the Mayflower or on slave ships. The only identity I care about, the only one this school will recognize, is your individual identity -- your character, your scholarship, your humanity. And the only national identity this school will care about is American.

This is an American public school, and American public schools were created to make better Americans. If you wish to affirm an ethnic, racial or religious identity through school, you will have to go elsewhere. We will end all ethnicity, race and non-American nationality-based celebrations. They undermine the motto of America , one of its three central values -- e pluribus Unum, "from many, one." And this school will be guided by America 's values. This includes all after-school clubs. I will not authorize clubs that divide students based on any identities. This includes race, language, religion, sexual orientation or whatever else may become in vogue in a society divided by political correctness.

Your clubs will be based on interests and passions, not blood, ethnic, racial or other physically defined ties. Those clubs just cultivate narcissism -- an unhealthy preoccupation with the self -- while the purpose of education is to get you to think beyond yourself. So we will have clubs that transport you to the wonders and glories of art, music, astronomy, languages you do not already speak, carpentry and more. If the only extracurricular activities you can imagine being interested in are those based on ethnic, racial or sexual identity, that means that little outside of yourself really interests you.

Second, I am uninterested in whether English is your native language. My only interest in terms of language is that you leave this school speaking and writing English as fluently as possible. The English language has united America 's citizens for over 200 years, and it will unite us at this school. It is one of the indispensable reasons this country of immigrants has always come to be one country. And if you leave this school without excellent English language skills, I would be remiss in my duty to ensure that you will be prepared to successfully compete in the American job market. We will learn other languages here -- it is deplorable that most Americans only speak English --but if you want classes taught in your native language rather than in English, this is not your school.

Third, because I regard learning as a sacred endeavor, everything in this school will reflect learning's elevated status. This means, among other things, that you and your teachers will dress accordingly. Many people in our society dress more formally for Hollywood events than for church or school. These people have their priorities backward. Therefore, there will be a formal dress code at this school.

Fourth, no obscene language will be tolerated anywhere on this school's property -- whether in class, in the hallways or at athletic events. If you can't speak without using the f-word, you can't speak. By obscene language I mean the words banned by the Federal Communications Commission, plus epithets such as "Nigger," even when used by one black student to address another black, or "bitch," even when addressed by a girl to a girlfriend. It is my intent that by the time you leave this school, you will be among the few your age to instinctively distinguish between the elevated and the degraded, the holy and the obscene.

Fifth, we will end all self-esteem programs. In this school, self-esteem will be attained in only one way -- the way people attained it until decided otherwise a generation ago -- by earning it. One immediate consequence is that there will be one valedictorian, not eight.

Sixth, and last, I am reorienting the school toward academics and away from politics and propaganda. No more time will be devoted to scaring you about smoking and caffeine, or terrifying you about sexual harassment or global warming. No more semesters will be devoted to condom wearing and teaching you to regard sexual relations as only or primarily a health issue... There will be no more attempts to convince you that you are a victim because you are not white, or not male, or not heterosexual or not Christian. We will have failed if any one of you graduates this school and does not consider him or herself inordinately fortunate -- to be alive and to be an American.

Now, please stand and join me in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country. As many of you do not know the words, your teachers will hand them out to you.

i wholey agree with that all except for the no sexual orientation groups. i came from a very small school out in the sticks. my school didnt have groups of any sort other then cheerleading and football. a few years there was track or girls volleyball but only if there were enough people and even then they paid alot of their own way for things.
but anyhow, when i came out (bisexual btw) i was one of 4 LGBT people. i was bi, a girl in my class was lesbian, girl one grade older then me was lesbian, and a guy one grade older then me who was gay. that is in the entirety of grades 7-12 in the school district. and the two lesbian girls were dating. that leaves much to be desired for a young person in that situation.
i dont think there would have been more then 10 people in a group such as PFLAG or any LGBT&supporters group. when you walked down the hallway you heard "fishy fishy fishy" or <cough cough>lesbian<cough>... you get evil and nasty looks. you got the "popular" kids come right up to you and ask "so you are bisexual? i dont think you are. you arent pretty enough" or "ya you are definitely butch" or other things like that.

i dont mean any of this as "poor me". far from it. i told those idiots "how am i butch if i wear skirts every day? thats like callin you a cowboy even though you wear eyeliner" and i once told off a guy who was being totally uncalled for and really sexual to myself and 4 other girls. "i have three guns and two bows and live on 250 acres out in the middle of nowhere. you are in a butchering class with me full of sharp knives for most of the day. you know how big 250 acres is? alot of room to hide somethin and never gget found."

i just think that some groups would be very very helpful.

lol. okay rant over now :)

This "speech" has a very artificial feel to it. I don't believe it was ever given; let alone to public school students. Sure, the ideals are something we wish would get said, but I don't believe that any American school principal would ever say them and expect to keep his job. This needs citations.

I see where you're coming from ohiogoatgirl, but I don't think there needs to be a "group". One of my closest friends in high school was the only openly gay student in the entire school. Then again, our town is very supportive and open-minded, especially considering that we fall into the "small hicktown in the sticks" catagory.

*I guess I should add that I think the point is that when groups become formed like that, people tend to lose their identities in favor of WHAT they are, versus WHO they are.

I agree Fid, although I wouldn't hesitate to be the first principal to give this speech...although, only if I didn't value my job very much...

Fid":11u51z9u said:
This "speech" has a very artificial feel to it. I don't believe it was ever given; let alone to public school students. Sure, the ideals are something we wish would get said, but I don't believe that any American school principal would ever say them and expect to keep his job. This needs citations.

true... unfortunately. but i am still a bit optimistic and hope that there are some people left who will do the right thing even if it is the hard thing.

and cattlecait:
i certianly wish i could say anything similar of the towns here. it is very much stuck in its old roots. people here have their way of things and come hell or high water they aint budgin.

Some of you missed this part--

By Dennis Prager.

yes, it is a speech every HS principal SHOULD give-- and it IS cited...By Dennis Prager

Sure wish that kind of thinking had been around even 40 years ago-- It is what we need

I think everyone agrees that it should be given. But a byline is not a citation. For me to believe this actually happened I would need more info like name of school, city, school district, when, etc...

I do not entirely agree with 3 or 6. Dress code used that strongly generally leads to school uniform or slacks and blouses type clothing. I wear a tshirt and jeans. I always will. I have worn them to weddings. I wore them to my own wedding. So long as your clothes are clean and in good shape they should not matter. Dress codes and opinions on clothes are another way to judge people in a speech meant to end such things.

I think sexual education needs to be taught in school because parents are not doing it and you wouldn't believe what some people think about sexual diseases and birth control. Even adults. I hang out on a social forum that covers many topics where about 50% of the "adult" population have not had a relationship because they are so withdrawn on their computers. I am constantly correcting misconceptions about sex, relationships, diseases, birth control effectiveness.... They all think if you have sex a few too many times (whatever that number is in their head) you will definitely get pregnant and have stds. They even told me not to make friends with people off CL because I'd get STDs from my toilet seat from them. These are adults. These are the people suppose to be teaching children and they haven't got a freaking clue. We need facts about these things going out in to the world and devoting a quarter or semester depending how that school system works to it or even a section of phys ed is well worth it. The same for other health topics. Adults don't know how to eat or cook right these days so how will they teach children? Also my school was forced to put in a sexual harassment and overall harassment section mainly because of me and 2 other people. I have ptsd from how I was treated up until the adults finally took it seriously and did things like showing videos and discussing how harassment has even led to people committing suicide. Teenagers just don't think how wrong these things are until they are told and again parents are not doing it. So are we to leave people like me to suffer as we try our soft hearted approach of fixing clubs and hoping that eliminates the problem rather than taking time to put in a section that covers harassment? After watching the videos and getting lectures I had people come up and appologize to me and one guy even stepped up 2 years later and got in a fist fight about it. They just didn't know until someone told them.

Fid":l3dorki9 said:
I think everyone agrees that it should be given. But a byline is not a citation. For me to believe this actually happened I would need more info like name of school, city, school district, when, etc...
The Byline appears to be the author-- it is not a quote, it is not looking like an article passed on in the Associated Press.
it is a formal address by a writer- his opinions.
If you read the *article* "A Modest Proposal" by J. Swift in the same manner that you read this, would you say it needed validation as having actually been said?
It is hard enough being a 'have not' and going to school among a bunch of 'haves' we had a dress code in HS- We could wear jeans, and T shirts - and indeed, my'uniform' was jeans, blouse, and hiking boots. My daughters felt so much better about themselves when advertising was restricted by their school dress codes. I wanted my children to dressneatly, clean, hair combed, etc-- the dress code permitted dropped pants, mohawks, piercings
I had more clients than I can count, sit across my desk as I preapred their taxes, playing with piercings, drooling uncontrollably, and unable to answer the simplest questions- such as : "when was this child born?" or, in the case of a Self employed person- didthe nature of the business change over the last year?
When it came tothe schools my children attended- I felt like most of whatthey were getting was a 'how to' manual on *getting even* with people one did not like for whatever reason..
I Also felt when I was in A private school, that I was being forced to fit into a mold that was way to small!
A person cannot enjoy freedom if they have not experienced restrictions. A child will not learn self discipline if they are not TAUGHT discipline. That mean rules-- Firm, fair and consistent. I have a friend who teaches Kindergarten in the same district as Skysthelimit. The first grade teachers look forward to getting HER children, as they already understand the rules, and realize not every teachre let's kids get away with everything..

Actually that is the most scariest thing I have read... it actually sounds like the fifties all over again! Sure some of it makes sense but it is too intertwined with other darker things.. like no more health education?; no more learning about the environment (deemed "political???) Also how does observing holidays/traditions from other countries undermine the term "From many one"? Are these not the traditions of the "many" or is it really just the chosen few? Dress code? whatever for? These are KIDS! In a couple years they will grow up and have huge responsibilities, why not leave them some freedom of their own style at least for a few years. Soon they will have to conform to whatever their new job requires of them. RFrom education comes power and limiting this education to what is deemed "American" is just going to produce narrow-minded-ness!

I think its absolute crap, have no desire to have my kid taught that being 'American' is more important than being who or what you are. This line -

There will be no more attempts to convince you that you are a victim because you are not white, or not male, or not heterosexual or not Christian.

Is bigoted and intolerant and just plain wrong in so many ways, whoever wrote this wants to control and cleanse and send us back 50 years. That 'view' of what being American is not what the world is like, nor is it the world our children are going to have to live in.

I am a first generation American.

My parents were Danish, and after the 2nd World War they emigrated from Denmark to Canada, with an ultimate goal of living in the United States of America. I have a Canadian brother. My other brother and myself are Americans. Never once when I was growing up did we celebrate a Danish holiday (or a Canadian one), and we never flew the Danish flag, even on occasions when I saw flags of other countries being flown. I asked my father once why we didn't fly the Danish flag, or have one of those bumper stickers/medallions denoting country of heritage on our car that were so popular in the Eighties. He said he felt it was disrespectful to the country that he had made his home. We were Americans, not "Danish Americans".

The beauty of being an American is the fact that you are free to fulfill who and what you are, regardless of the "class" you were born into- whether it be income level, ethnicity, social status, or sexual preference. You have the Right to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. Making the most of those rights is entirely up to you. Ask my parents if the Jews had those rights in Denmark during the war...

I grew up with a healthy view of my heritage, despite the fact that none of "our" traditions are celebrated here, and there is no Danish translation when I vote or apply for a Driver's license, and never once was pickled herring served in the school cafeteria. :shock:

Most of the holidays celebrated here are just an excuse for a party anyway, including the American ones... how many of us really celebrate them knowing the reasons behind them? On St. Patrick's day we wear green, drink Guinness Ale, and eat corned beef and cabbage. But who was St. Patrick? And why the Shamrock? What about Cinco de Mayo? Yeah, it's Mexican Independence Day, and we eat tacos, whack pinatas, and drink Coronas... but many of our citizens don't even know what we are celebrating on our Independence Day! I think that is just wrong.

When complaining about a lack of tolerance for others, or knowledge about nutrition or the risks of certain sexual behaviors, remember that the very people that are lacking that knowledge have most likely already completed their stint in school... so apparently it doesn't educate "the masses" very well. I disagree with compulsory schooling in its entirety, but that is a whole new can of worms.

Awesome speech, MamaSheepdog! I agree that it should be given in every school in America, not just the high schools, but the elementary schools, junior high/middle schools, and colleges/universities!

ohiogoatgirl":3bzf25zh said:
when you walked down the hallway you heard "fishy fishy fishy" or <cough cough>lesbian<cough>... you get evil and nasty looks. you got the "popular" kids come right up to you and ask "so you are bisexual? i dont think you are. you arent pretty enough" or "ya you are definitely butch" or other things like that.

You can replace any of those words with 100 different insults about 100 different things and nail just about every body. The plain and simple fact is, kids are cruel. Kids get picked on. kids self esteems can be totally and completely damaged in school. You just can not have a "group" for everything to make kids feel better. This is coming from someone that was picked so very much in school that I HATED myself. It was crippling and I am still in the midst of healing from it. If there should be groups based on sexual orientation to help kids feel better or not get picked on as much or find someone like them than there should be groups based on kids that wet their pants till they were 10 or kids living in old falling down trailers houses or kids who had to get their clothes from thrifts stores and good will or the kids that lived on the wrong side of town or kids that had sibling with bad reps or, like I said 100 different reasons to be picked on.

Three quarters of my family has been here since the early 1700's, one famous ancestor signed the Declaration of Independence. My Italian granmothers side came here in the 1890's, and held tightly to their culture, language and 'Italianness'. Some of us can still speak Italian, I'm proud that my family held onto their culture even when I know the pressure was great to 'assimilate' and fit in and be more 'American'. The attitudes espoused in that speech the OP posted were rampant, particularly during and after World War II, appearing American was oh so important, had to be like everyone esle, part of the great American crowd. Those who stuck out were punished, didn't get jobs, housing, got their faces punched in. Those attitudes have no place in our world today, and we certainly don't want them taught to our children. No one should have to let go of their culture to be successful in the US, and many have not. I can go into a lot of stores here and hear German spoken everyday, you go into the cemetaries and there's tombstones in german. The germans have been here for centuries, should they too let go of where they came from? Its horrible and sad that so many immigrant families felt pressured to let go of their culture, that mentality is a relic of the past and its scary that some are still promoting that sort of closemindedness.

Because my family has been here so long does that make me more American? Does it mean that I should swallow this 'assimilate and be like us' crap? Does it mean that not only should immigrants to this country or present citizens turn their back on their culture, language, and religion? Yes religion because as you know America is supposed to be a 'Christian' country so should everyone convert regardless of their beliefs? Now thats a slippery slope.

As for the Gay Straight Alliance groups that have popped up in many High Schools their there for two reasons, to promote tolerance and create a support network for gay bi and trangender kids. I see nothing wrong with it, these kids deserve to have a place to go where they feel accepted, its no different than say a group for kids with Aspergers, and that brings up another question, would groups for disabled or handicapped kids also be forbidden in this whole 'lets be more American'. So any special interest group like say- the Chess Club which is often entirely composed of autistics would also be unacceptable. Its a very slippery slope once you start labeling people or groups as American or Un-American, acceptable or unacceptable.

I've been staying out of this until now because as a Canadian I have a somewhat different take on some of the issues. Canada is a multicultural society and for the most part I like the cultural richness that people from all over the world have brought with them when they chose to make Canada their home. I like to think of Canada as a huge pot of vegetable soup. All the ingredients are still identifiable but they add up to something more than their components. We are not a melting pot.

My own ancestors are English, though the different branches of the family arrived here at different times and for different reasons. Some came out early to escape the poverty of the rural labourer's life. Some were UEL's and came here from the Thirteen Colonies during the American War of Independence. Some came out from England in the late 1800's, looking for new opportunities in a country that was still very British in character at that time. I retain a special affection for English village life and English country cooking. I like reading English novels. I also enjoy Canadian heritage cooking, the homesteading skills of my pioneer ancestors and Canadian literature. My roots lie deep in this good Eastern Ontario soil but I can still look across the ocean to my ancestors' homeland with affection. There is no conflict for me.

People who come to Canada need to embrace Canadian life and values, but they do not need to turn their backs on their own cultural heritage in order to do this. I just don't see that it has to be either/or.

MaggieJ":1bmvpy34 said:
People who come to Canada need to embrace Canadian life and values, but they do not need to turn their backs on their own cultural heritage in order to do this. I just don't see that it has to be either/or.

Yes! Exactly!

Frosted-
The difference is that if I cite Jonathan Swift in a paper, no one will think twice about it. If I cite this guy, the response would be,"Never heard of him." I'm just real leery of this kind of thing that circulates on the internet and in emails, they are written to sound as if they are legitimate but most times are written by some kook with an axe to grind.

Schools are overwhelmed by special interest groups who want the time and resources of the schools. If you want to form a club to promote an issue or ethnic group, and that club has no legitimate academic basis then it up to the club to fund it and house it and promote it. If these clubs were to be required to pay for the use of school property, then i wouldn't have an issue. Example: every year there is a home show held at the high school I went to. They don't get to do it for free.

I don't know, there just isn't any one single right answer to any of this.

Latest posts

Back