A little help...kit colour I.D. - added pics!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondQT

Reaction score
:) Hi everyone, this is my first post here and i'm hoping some of you guys can help me,
I just had my first litter of bunnies born two weeks ago and i need some help confirming the colours as im still learning :oops:
They are Mini Rex, dam is a broken Magpie and sire is a Siamese Seal.

this is a pic of the whole litter: i believe they are mostly broken magpie, one a shaded magpie, one Siamese Seal,and a 2 frosted and a broken blue or sable, not sure yet? :?

the Siamese Seal?

the shaded magpie?

this one i am a little unsure about i was thinking silver marten?

thanks! :bunnyhop:

Siamese seal? Do you just mean seal? (There is no color called Siamese seal in Mini rex -- there is seal and Siamese sable.) The kit in the picture looks like a seal. Siamese sable is generally lighter in color than seal, with more prominent shading; though some dark Siamese sables do resemble seals.

The bottom pic does look like a silver marten. It certainly appears to be a tan-pattern, and it can't be otter with those parents.
Cute babies! :)

im new to rabbits and still learning all the colours the lady who sold the buck to me put Siamese Seal on the pedigree, but i guess she just meant Seal then? maybe because his mum was a Siamese sable? i dont know.
i was thinking silver marten as he doesn't have any of the orange/rusting that the otters have right?

__________ Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:38 pm __________

i just checked the British mini rex club and they do recognize the Siamese seal here in England. :)

Determining rex colours is not my forte however i can help with the genotype possibilities

A magpie should be a harlequinized chinchilla (= A_ B_ cchd_ D_ ej e), it is agouti based and could hide a tan/otter/marten gene so the kit could be a silver marten ( = at a B_ cchd_ D_ E_ ) If a magpie is shaded (aa B_ cchl_ D_ ej e) they may have faint points, will look 'sooty' and be more cream and muddy grey.

The frostys are agouti and could be chinchilla (dark shaded) or light shaded based (= A_ B_ cchd OR cchl _ D_ ee)

The siamese seal is a light shaded self (= aa B_ cchl_ D_ E_ )

I have been trying to figure out the genetics for the parents so thank you. From what i had figured out so far i have them as
Seal: aa Bb c(chl) c(chl) D Ee
( however i have noticed lately some darker blotches on him like a broken pattern, its only visible in good light, what could this be? im sure he is a seal)

Broken Magpie dam: Aat b c(chd)_ ej

would that be right?

Latest posts

Back