6 week old tries to bite me.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like SLRS I had a litter of American Blue kits that were very curious and mouthy. They were handled a bunch which may have contributed as they were pretty laid back temperament wise. As they grew into teenagers they started putting teeth on or grabbing clothes. They never holed my jackets or shirts and never bit down, they were very gentle but persistent. I would head press them to submit and they would come right back up, then put their mouths on me again. None of them had good coats and we ate all of them, but my current litter from a different buck doesn't do that at all. My New Zealand lines don't do it at all.

I have one doe, 10yo now, that hates being touched, and biting and chewing is her stress relief when being handled. She's the most docile, patient girl othewrwise, a great auntie for other does kits, not a kernel of dominance, get's along with all the others.

Her daughter is one of my free range house bunnies, spayed, and although she isn't the most cuddly rabbit she never, ever bites. Very territorial though, when a rabbit manages top get into her yard I first notice the tufts of fur floating around.

My rabbits are random mixes, and even within a litter I get a wide variety of characters, I have the feeling that the bucks behaviour has more influence on the kits than the does, it's my 4th buck now.. With my previous, docile, friendly buck I got similiar kits, with my new, high energy, intelligent, active one I get great escape artists - but with very interesting characters. I like that, no matter what my neighbours think when I'm again zigzagging through the woods for half an hour.

Back