6 week old kit attacked from under her hutch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheShedAcres

Reaction score
I have a single kit from one of my does, that just turned 6 weeks. I took her from mom because mom was humping her as to say "leave me alone." I have been calling her little chunk. We put her into her own hutch, floor is made from 1/2" x 1" wire, with a resting mat and what I call a hiding box. We found lil' chonk today with blood on her front paws. We think that maybe a fox might have gotten to her front paws from under neath. When I found her, the bleeding had stopped, but they seem to be a bit mangled. Is there is something I should be doing for her? Antibiotic spray, bandages? I am at a loss on this one.

Thanks,
Kelly

She should be fine. Clean it up and put some antibiotic ointment on it.

When we first got our beagle she had a tendency of nipping at the little ones toes because they stuck through the wire. One year we had a litter jump out of the box earlier than normal (about two weeks) so there legs would slip through constantly, and of course the beagle was curious about it. She ended up “de-gloving” one from the elbow down. What’s worse is that we were leaving the next day for vacation. We cleaned him up the best we could, put him back with mom and left. Came back a week later and he was just fine. Well I mean, he didn’t have fur on that leg and only had one toe, but he wasn’t effected by it and there was no infection. Contrary to popular belief, rabbits are extremely resilient, hardy animals.

Why dont you have a tray or something under it?
We don't have anything under our hutches and have never had a problem before. But we have usually had the grow outs in an area that is a little more secure, and this one wasn't. We learned the hard way - but she seems to be in good spirits today and is getting around pretty good. Eating, drinking, and pooping all normal.

When we first got our beagle she had a tendency of nipping at the little ones toes because they stuck through the wire. One year we had a litter jump out of the box earlier than normal (about two weeks) so there legs would slip through constantly, and of course the beagle was curious about it. She ended up “de-gloving” one from the elbow down. What’s worse is that we were leaving the next day for vacation. We cleaned him up the best we could, put him back with mom and left. Came back a week later and he was just fine. Well I mean, he didn’t have fur on that leg and only had one toe, but he wasn’t effected by it and there was no infection. Contrary to popular belief, rabbits are extremely resilient, hardy animals.
Thanks! She seems to have bounced back pretty good. I am putting the antibiotic spray on her for the next few days.

I am glad she is doing good. It might have been a mouse or rat. They are known to nibble bunny feet from under the cage.

I have a single kit from one of my does, that just turned 6 weeks. I took her from mom because mom was humping her as to say "leave me alone." I have been calling her little chunk. We put her into her own hutch, floor is made from 1/2" x 1" wire, with a resting mat and what I call a hiding box. We found lil' chonk today with blood on her front paws. We think that maybe a fox might have gotten to her front paws from under neath. When I found her, the bleeding had stopped, but they seem to be a bit mangled. Is there is something I should be doing for her? Antibiotic spray, bandages? I am at a loss on this one.

Thanks,
Kelly
Oh bummer, ya it will be fine. It would have hid in it's box if something was after it. Do they have wood bottoms in their lil houses?

I am curious as to how the degloved kit grew out. Did the leg ever skin over, just no hair?

I would definitely take a hard look at all your cages & fortify them. I am not a huge fan of chicken wire, mesh or even tight mesh because a dog or hungry animal can rip through no problem. Start securing under with more solid material- hard plastic, metal roof etc. Angle to allow runoff of waste. If you have any height to your cages then put in a 2nd floor. There was a sad you tuber that lost all his grow outs & 2 of his 3 adults due to dogs ripping open hutches & chewing off rabbit legs. It was so sad. This is 1 reason I use dog kennels. Stronger all around, height for 2nd floor, use of litter boxes & plastic tubs on their side. Your predator will be back.

I agree with Keag and go further that having your buns that vulnerable is stressful to them. Providing a safe, secure place for your rabbits where they know no predators can even get near them will likely pay dividends in the long run. I don’t want potential predators lurking around where the rabbits can see them, let alone nibbling their body parts through the wire. Rabbits are not going to show stress like humans would, so the fact that she is looking ‘normal’ does not mean she is not stressed. Rabbits are prey animals and visible stress would attract predators.

That is my two cents….

I am glad she is doing good. It might have been a mouse or rat. They are known to nibble bunny feet from under the cage.
I thought so as well, but the bottom of the cage is about 2.5 feet off the ground and I didn't think a mouse or rat could get up there.

I would definitely take a hard look at all your cages & fortify them. I am not a huge fan of chicken wire, mesh or even tight mesh because a dog or hungry animal can rip through no problem. Start securing under with more solid material- hard plastic, metal roof etc. Angle to allow runoff of waste. If you have any height to your cages then put in a 2nd floor. There was a sad you tuber that lost all his grow outs & 2 of his 3 adults due to dogs ripping open hutches & chewing off rabbit legs. It was so sad. This is 1 reason I use dog kennels. Stronger all around, height for 2nd floor, use of litter boxes & plastic tubs on their side. Your predator will be back.
We are relooking at our cages now.

I thought so as well, but the bottom of the cage is about 2.5 feet off the ground and I didn't think a mouse or rat could get up there.
Mice can climb most anything. If there is anything they can grip to, they will.

Latest posts

Back