6 kits. A zillion questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today the kits are 1 day old. I checked the nest and there are no dead ones. Or after birth or any other birthing too.
1st question. I saw a tidge of blood on the ground under her cage. Is that normal?
2nd question. I weighed the kits. They range from 1.9 oz to 2.6 oz. Is that normal for meat rabbits?
3rd question. Dam is black, Buck is white. 2 kits are black, 4 are white. How likely is it that the black kits are male and the white kits are female?
My guess is 50/50, but I'm no expert.

1.: Yes, can be normal.
2.: There can be size differences, keep an eye on the smaller ones, if they get fed. But this is a rather small litter, they should be fine.
3.: I'm not good at math to calculate the probability of that outcome, but for every kit the chances are 50/50 for m/f, regardless of the colour.

While i do see some all of dads broken kits are also bucks in some combo's it depends on the combo. Others may have both sexes in either color. And the 50/50 chance thing is per kit, i had a litter broken X castor resulting in all broken kits, while all other litters from that buck where close to 50/50 or more solid coats (last one was only one broken kit). And 0 tri from him X my harli doe. Color genes are funny that way.
And with small samples like with a single small scale breeder it can really distort the outcome one way or another. So no there is no reason to link parents coat colors to the sex of the offspring.
Keeping data on what combo gave what colors in does and bucks is interesting and may give a pattern for your rabbitry in the long run. Along with knowing what colors i.e. what colorgenes your rabbits carry including the hidden ones is interesting.

While i do see some all of dads broken kits are also bucks in some combo's it depends on the combo. Others may have both sexes in either color. And the 50/50 chance thing is per kit, i had a litter broken X castor resulting in all broken kits, while all other litters from that buck where close to 50/50 or more solid coats (last one was only one broken kit). And 0 tri from him X my harli doe. Color genes are funny that way.
And with small samples like with a single small scale breeder it can really distort the outcome one way or another. So no there is no reason to link parents coat colors to the sex of the offspring.
Keeping data on what combo gave what colors in does and bucks is interesting and may give a pattern for your rabbitry in the long run. Along with knowing what colors i.e. what colorgenes your rabbits carry including the hidden ones is interesting.
What do you mean by broken?

Broken means a pattern of coloured parts and white. The color genes are en/EN I think, with en/en the rabbit is solid, fully colored, en/EN is broken (like Checkered Giants, English Spots etc.), and a set of EN/EN produces Charlies, mostly white rabbits with a little colour (less than 10%).
How much colour and white is on broken rabbits can vary a lot.

There are other genes that can cause partly white fur.

Red Eyed Whites (REW) can carry all sorts of colour genes which are covered up by the REW Gene, but the colors can pop up in their offspring.

Most of the rabbits on the picture have that broken colour sheme.

I hope I didn't embarrass myself, this is most of color genetics I think I haven't forgotten or mixed up :D

Attachments

• Weissgraue Wurf1 Bunnyflower 7 Wochen.jpg
    Weissgraue Wurf1 Bunnyflower 7 Wochen.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Broken means a pattern of coloured parts and white. The color genes are en/EN I think, with en/en the rabbit is solid, fully colored, en/EN is broken (like Checkered Giants, English Spots etc.), and a set of EN/EN produces Charlies, mostly white rabbits with a little colour (less than 10%).
How much colour and white is on broken rabbits can vary a lot.

There are other genes that can cause partly white fur.

Red Eyed Whites (REW) can carry all sorts of colour genes which are covered up by the REW Gene, but the colors can pop up in their offspring.

Most of the rabbits on the picture have that broken colour sheme.

I hope I didn't embarrass myself, this is most of color genetics I think I haven't forgotten or mixed up :D
Thanks. And now I know what REW is. Dang! There is a lot to learn about rabbits.

Thanks. And now I know what REW is. Dang! There is a lot to learn about rabbits.
No doubt!! I'm on my 4th litter and STILL looking every day trying to sex 9 week olds. Some are easy, some are like "what is that." I want to keep a female this time so I better get it right. I love them, they make me laugh every day.

No doubt!! I'm on my 4th litter and STILL looking every day trying to sex 9 week olds. Some are easy, some are like "what is that." I want to keep a female this time so I better get it right. I love them, they make me laugh every day.
That's the one thing I'm good at.

Latest posts

Back