$5/Pound?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbottom

Reaction score
Ok so i have a handful of restaurants wanting rabbits to put on their menus. They would pay $5/pound dressed. I am in Phoenix.

My wife and i went through the numbers a few weeks ago and $2.75/pound live weight was the sweet spot.

Anyone else selling to restaurants?

Had someone want 30 6 week olds for $10 a pop - they were slightly less than 2 pounds each at 5 weeks - that's still $5/pound, but i really don't want to do craigslist - i would rather supply steady buyers and butchering would feed the pigs (that i would sell for $4/pound).

I say go for it! If your covering your expenses and making extra than you are off to a good start. I think the last time I ran my numbers, if I sold them at 8 weeks for $10 I was bringing in $3.15 profit per rabbit. If your #'s are anywhere close to mine then you are doing good especially with a steady buyer. living in phoenix (I used to live in Peoria,AZ) the summers are brutal, If your gonna supply year round you will have to have some of your stock indoors or they will stop producing for sure.

If you haven't done so already, you'd better get a USDA license before you start butchering and selling commercially for consumption by the public in restaurants. I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that it's required.

jollysrabbits":38mytxoi said:
I say go for it! If your covering your expenses and making extra than you are off to a good start. I think the last time I ran my numbers, if I sold them at 8 weeks for $10 I was bringing in $3.15 profit per rabbit. If your #'s are anywhere close to mine then you are doing good especially with a steady buyer. living in phoenix (I used to live in Peoria,AZ) the summers are brutal, If your gonna supply year round you will have to have some of your stock indoors or they will stop producing for sure.

Thanks JR! I am actually north of phoenix closer to heber, but phoenix is a much larger market than heber.<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 pm __________<br /><br />
SatinsRule":38mytxoi said:
If you haven't done so already, you'd better get a USDA license before you start butchering and selling commercially for consumption by the public in restaurants. I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that it's required.

hmmm...far as i know the restaurant owner is feeding the rabbits to their dogs.

my dogs love rabbit

$5/lb/processed works out to about about 2.50/lb/live weight (depending on your dressout rate).

So I don't know if that's a fair price where you are.

ladysown":7apq0wd4 said:
$5/lb/processed works out to about about 2.50/lb/live weight (depending on your dressout rate).

So I don't know if that's a fair price where you are.

a bunny runner was offering $1.50/pound north of where i am at.

hillbottom":1vdownjb said:
SatinsRule":1vdownjb said:

my dogs love rabbit

Oh, Okay. In your first post, you said they were looking to add it to their menus.

he does want to add it to their menus, when satinsrule mentioned certification and licensing, hillbottom pleaded the 5th and said as far as they know it is going for dog food. It was supposed to be unspoken but now I opened my mouth, LOL

dog menus LOL

seriously though - the USDA is pretty clear on this issue - rabbits do not require USDA approval...selling butchered rabbit meat with USDA approval is not a condition of selling and the seller "can" request a voluntary inspection from the USDA.

a few things come to mind:

if a restaurant wants to sell rabbit to their customers - that is their call - the rabbit market is not regulated by the USDA

one can label their food - "not for human consumption or resale"

one can insist that a buyer sign a hold harmless agreement

one can butcher a rabbit in a USDA approved facility - which is my situation.

clear as mud eh?

just don't be caught selling live rabbits to pet stores exceeding $500/year...THAT will get you a 90K fine.

hillbottom":1c9orj25 said:
dog menus LOL

seriously though - the USDA is pretty clear on this issue - rabbits do not require USDA approval...selling butchered rabbit meat with USDA approval is not a condition of selling and the seller "can" request a voluntary inspection from the USDA.

if a restaurant wants to sell rabbit to their customers - that is their call - the rabbit market is not regulated by the USDA

one can label their food - "not for human consumption or resale"

one can insist that a buyer sign a hold harmless agreement

I LOVE my country. LOL

one can butcher a rabbit in a USDA approved facility - which is my situation.

clear as mud eh?

just don't be caught selling live rabbits to pet stores exceeding $500/year...THAT will get you a 90K fine.

I'm a hvac/r guy by trade and was working on an ac unit a couple days ago for a restaurant owner. His place, "Da Wabbit" (right outside New Orleans), serves rabbit on Wednesdays. I asked him about the type/size/cost of the rabbits he serves...Chinese rabbit was his answer. He said that his local guy went up to around $4.50/lb dressed out, so he gets Chinese import rabbit for around $2.50/lb. He also said that his customers have commented on the taste difference.

Hmm, what kind of comments about the taste? American was better/worse, tougher/tenderer?

hillbottom":136p4lzy said:
dog menus LOL

That may be true, but your state Health Department likely has regulations about meat served to the public and how/where it is processed. I would check this over VERY carefully.

hillbottom":1o4sa4ty said:
jollysrabbits":1o4sa4ty said:

Thanks JR! I am actually north of phoenix closer to heber, but phoenix is a much larger market than heber.

__________ Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 pm __________

SatinsRule":1o4sa4ty said:

my dogs love rabbit

I have to do the same thing to skirt the law here in California. Since I'm not licenced as a processor (who can afford it?) I have to label them not for human consumption but I let my buyers know they are the same rabbits I put on my own table. If they want to eat "dog food" that's their business. I sell mine at $4 per dressed pound.
The trouble with Craigslist is that so many "animal rights" people monitor it. You have to be careful who you let into your rabbit operation. My regular customers are welcome to come inspect my rabbits with an apointment.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oeh/rs/pdf/fc2000.pdf

3-201.17 Game Animals.*
(A) If GAME ANIMALS are received for sale or service they shall be:
(1) Commercially raised for food and:
(a) Raised slaughtered, and processed under a voluntary
inspection program that is conducted by the agency that
has animal health jurisdiction, or
(b) Under a routine inspection program conducted by a
regulatory agency other than the agency that has animal
health jurisdiction, and
(c) Raised, slaughtered, and processed according to:
(i) LAWS governing MEAT and POULTRY as determined by
the agency that has animal health jurisdiction and the
agency that conducts the inspection program, and
(ii) Requirements which are developed by the agency
that has animal health jurisdiction and the agency that
conducts the inspection program with consideration of
factors such as the need for antemortem and
postmortem examination by an APPROVED veterinarian or
veterinarian’s designee;39
(2) Under a voluntary inspection program administered by the
USDA for game animals such as exotic animals (reindeer, elk,
deer, antelope, water buffalo, or bison) that are "inspected and
APPROVED" in accordance with 9 CFR 352 Voluntary Exotic
Animal Program or rabbits that are "inspected and certified" in
accordance with 9 CFR 354 Rabbit Inspection Program;
(3) As allowed by LAW, for wild GAME ANIMALS that are livecaught:
(a) Under a routine inspection program conducted by a
regulatory agency such as the agency that has animal
health jurisdiction, and
(b) Slaughtered and processed according to:
(i) LAWS governing MEAT and POULTRY as determined by
the agency that has animal health jurisdiction and the
agency that conducts the inspection program, and
(ii) Requirements which are developed by the agency
that has animal health jurisdiction and the agency that
conducts the inspection program with consideration of
factors such as the need for antemortem and
postmortem examination by an APPROVED veterinarian or
veterinarian’s designee; or
(4) As ALLOWED by LAW, for field-dressed wild GAME ANIMALS
under a routine inspection program that ensures the animals:
(a) Receive a postmortem examination by an APPROVED
veterinarian or veterinarian's designee, or
(b) Are field-dressed and transported according to
requirements specified by the agency that has animal
health jurisdiction and the agency that conducts the
inspection program, and
(c) Are processed according to LAWS governing MEAT and
POULTRY as determined by the agency that has animal
health jurisdiction and the agency that conducts the
inspection program. 40
(B) A GAME ANIMAL may not be received for sale or service if it is
a species of wildlife that is listed in 50 CFR 17 Endangered and
Threatened Wildlife and Plants.

hoodat":mtj9bsfi said:
The trouble with Craigslist is that so many "animal rights" people monitor it. You have to be careful who you let into your rabbit operation. My regular customers are welcome to come inspect my rabbits with an apointment.

THAT is very interesting! I have had people ask me off craigslist where i'm at - really persistent too...i tell them "rim country" that includes heber, payson, snowflake, springerville - nearly a THIRD of eastern arizona...have fun finding me...and if they do...they can say hi to my friendly dogs...well they are friendly to me...

thanks for the tip - i can be naive sometimes about peoples motives.

i'll be labeling my food "not for human consumption".

what folk do with what they buy from me is their own business.

Latest posts

Back