$5/Pound?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, domestic rabbits are not 'wildlife' while they are 'exotic' when classified as pets for veterinary purposes. Looks like our hobby gets even more confusing...

This is a copy of part of a E-mail I just got----Telling me what is required in my State---Had several PDF files attached to it.

""In order to sell process and sell rabbit to the public:

1. Rabbits must be processed in an approved facility.

2. You must be registered with SC Department of Agriculture and possess a valid RVC.

3. Rabbits must be labeled in accordance with Fair Packaging Laws

4. You will be subject to routine food safety inspection by SCDA.""

hillbottom":2lluqiub said:
hmmm...far as i know the restaurant owner is feeding the rabbits to their dogs.

my dogs love rabbit

heh heh... I'll bet they do ;)
Funny there are quite a few things I've purchased in Farmer's Markets sold for "dogs" - goat milk and eggs are two such regulated items. On the other hand, the above-ground rabbit meat seller at the FM sells for $9.99/lb. I'm in CA. They sell. I hope to eventually have surplus... I have people asking and trading from time to time, I love this idea of selling for pet food. But I can't believe you are making a profit on $2.75/lb live/ $5/lb dressed! I guess that's the difference with CA... I'm in the red have a long way before I make a profit on production, with the prices I pay on food and supplies... I would hope to at least charge $8/lb. We'll see. People pay more for grassfed and organic, which I do, that may be the difference...

For anyone wanting rabbit meat I sell them the live rabbit and offer to process it at no charge. So a 4 pound fryer is sold at $3.50 = $14.00 live. But they pick up a 2.00 pound dressed rabbit carcass ($7.00 per pound) I only sell to a few people.<br /><br />__________ Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:05 pm __________<br /><br />I am in Ohio and trying to read the regulations makes my head spin. I can have a voluntary meat inspection????

cathyd":25341nl4 said:
For anyone wanting rabbit meat I sell them the live rabbit and offer to process it at no charge. So a 4 pound fryer is sold at $3.50 = $14.00 live. But they pick up a 2.00 pound dressed rabbit carcass ($7.00 per pound) I only sell to a few people.

By selling it to them live, and offering to process for no charge - as a favor - does this mean you are not subjected to the USDA regulations, since you are not a butchering operation? I like the way you are doing it... I have done cow and lamb shares locally here, I think - not sure - the way its done is the animal is purchased live then the purchaser pays the butcher so it doesn't need a USDA facility since I can go whereever I want to butcher, though the farmer delivers it to the butcher and its all wrapped up in one bill.

Stormy":1tv2ab3v said:
cathyd":1tv2ab3v said:
For anyone wanting rabbit meat I sell them the live rabbit and offer to process it at no charge. So a 4 pound fryer is sold at $3.50 = $14.00 live. But they pick up a 2.00 pound dressed rabbit carcass ($7.00 per pound) I only sell to a few people.

By selling it to them live, and offering to process for no charge - as a favor - does this mean you are not subjected to the USDA regulations, since you are not a butchering operation? I like the way you are doing it... I have done cow and lamb shares locally here, I think - not sure - the way its done is the animal is purchased live then the purchaser pays the butcher so it doesn't need a USDA facility since I can go whereever I want to butcher, though the farmer delivers it to the butcher and its all wrapped up in one bill.

yes and this is how california (our state) works as well, so do not post that your rabbits are not for "human consumption" we are not required to do that like some other states, state your price and offer free processing as a service.

We just saw "All Natural" rabbit meat in the supermarket for $14.99/lbs (incl. bones). That makes me feel good about our organically raised rabbits and their selling potential here in L.A.

We get $6.50/lb wholesale for butchered whole rabbits.

As for inspected processing, it totally depends on your state. We are not required to provide inspection for our rabbit meat. However, the restaurants can be told to toss the meat if it's nut inspected even though non-ameanable meats (rabbit is non-ameanable) does not require inspection. We make sure that our wholesale customers are aware of this before we sell to them. Most inspectors realize there's a discrepancy in the laws and will let it go. But there's always a chance they'll be asked to toss the meat.

ollitos":x5y21th7 said:
We get $6.50/lb wholesale for butchered whole rabbits.

As for inspected processing, it totally depends on your state. We are not required to provide inspection for our rabbit meat. However, the restaurants can be told to toss the meat if it's nut inspected even though non-ameanable meats (rabbit is non-ameanable) does not require inspection. We make sure that our wholesale customers are aware of this before we sell to them. Most inspectors realize there's a discrepancy in the laws and will let it go. But there's always a chance they'll be asked to toss the meat.

Interesting. How would one find out state laws and regulations?

I am not sure of the laws in AZ, but I am pretty doubtful that any restaurant can legally serve rabbit that has not been processed in a state inspected facility. USDA no, State yes.

I agree that you can get a restaurant to "feed it to his dogs," sign an agreement, or any other number of things. But when push comes to shove, if someone gets sick, it will come back to you. And if you are not set up as an LLC then everything you own is on the line. Just be careful and cover all your bases.

Back