4H Meat Pen Requirements?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What breed do rabbits have to be to be able to compete in 4H meat pen? Do they have to be purebred or pedigreed? We have some that definately look californian, but no history history on either of them. Just trying to determine if it would be worth our time to pursue them for fair. We already raise Holland lops and don't need to fill more cages if it won't be beneficial. We have basically no competition in our county. Nobody has done a meat pen for at least 5 yrs, and I havent heard of anyone doing one this year either. Also, ours have been known to go for anywhere from $300/rabbit to $1000/rabit in the auction. Our auction is insane here. That is some serious college funding for my daughter that is just going un-utilized every year.

The pedigree or purebred thing depends on your fair or where ever you are showing them. I can enter any domestic rabbit in our fair.

Our fair let's us enter anything and has a class for mixed breed if you don't know what it is, like a rescue. But the auction is only for the 4H kids, and I didn't know if it was a general rule like it is in ARBA.

Latest posts

Back