2 Pregnant Does in Same Cage Is That OK?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I decided to breed my two lion heads who live together and are mother and daughter. They have never fought and never had any problems. I have bred them and they r both due this week (mother was a backup in case the daughter can't or doesn't take care of her kits). Has anyone ever done this? Should they be ok together or do I need to separate them? I have given them each a nest box and they r both both nesting like crazy already. :bunnyhop:

I would separate them, as they can become aggressive toward one another with kits in the nest box. You should also be prepared for the possibility that they may no longer be suitable cage-mates after kindling. All rabbits are different, of course, but some just don't readjust to paired living very well.

I'm new to rabbits but from my experience with breeding dogs they should be separated. Not that dogs and rabbits are the exact same, but females are females and they all get territorial at birthing time. The weaker/sub will have extra stress and the more dominate one will intimidate the other. Could even kill her kits to take her nest even if they only deliver a few hours apart.

There is a possibility that nothing bad would happen at all, but there is also going to be some added risk. It's up to you to determine how much you are comfortable with.

Only you know the individual animals in question, so really you are in the best position to gauge how much risk there is. All rabbits are different.

For rabbits in general, my advice would be:
If you really want both litters to survive, separate them.

If you are willing to accept the possibility of losing one or both litters, and injury to either doe, keep them together.

Latest posts

Back