1st litter with 12 kits! Expect losses?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beylerbey

Reaction score
Hello! My Champagne/NZW cross doe has just kindled for the first time and the total number of kits was 12. :eek: My plan was to leave all the kits with her rather than trying to hand raise them. Its been a day & a half since she kindled, & so far everyone has survived though obviously some are thriving better than others. What sort of losses should I expect from this situation, & when is this likely to occur? I know nobody can predict what's going to happen with any given litter, but I hope someone else has dealt with a first timer having a supersized litter could share their experience. :thankyou:

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Beylerbey!

It is possible you will lose a few of them, but you may be able to help, without completely handraising them.

Maggie's right, if they all have tummies that look like they swallowed a marble, they have a good chance. :)

Squeak's most recent litter (10), she (for some unknown reason) was not producing enough milk. Oats coated in blackstrap molasses helped, but we supplemented what the kits were getting with homemade formula. We didn't usually feed them all, but we did bring them all in, to keep Squeak from feeding only the ones we left out there.

Our only loss was one we lost to overfeeding (he bloated up really bad). We cut back on the formula, and the runny, yellow poops cleared up, and the other bloated kit went back to normal.

They are now 4 weeks old an doing great! A couple of them are smaller than the rest, but they're raiding Mama's food now, including the plain rolled oats I put out there. :lol:

There are several recipes out there for bunny formula, and you can search this forum and the web for them. This is what I did:

I identified the kits that were not keeping up with the generally larger ones.

I fed formula to those kits once or twice a day (twice worked better), increasing the amount slowly as they grew.

I compared the kits I was feeding to those I was not feeding every few days. Eventually a couple of them caught up, and I stopped feeding them. One of the larger ones fell behind just a little, so I started feeding that one.

This is the recipe I used, and it seemed to work really well:

1/2 Cup undiluted, canned evaporated goat's milk (goat's milk is easier to digest than cow's milk)
1/2 Tablespoon cane syrup
1 egg yolk

Whisk together with a fork. Pour what you think you will need for one feeding, and heat it 5 seconds at a time in the microwave, stirring before heating more, until it is nicely warm (15 seconds for mine). The can of milk will make 3 batches of formula. Each batch of formula will be enough for 2-3 days of feeding. Refrigerate both the remainder of the milk and the remainder of the formula.

Feed the babies with an eyedropper, only 2 - 3 eyedroppers when they are very small (much of it will end up dribbled). I had to wrap them up in a little towel to keep them still and dry. To begin each feeding, I generally had to put a touch of formula on the kit's mouth for him to lick off, until he figured out that the eyedropper had food in it. At first, I had to feed them about a half a drop at a time, wiping their noses frequently as they got milk in their noses and started sneezing. It is time consuming, but it is also fun. Once they were old enough, and better at keeping it out of their noses, my kids had a blast feeding them.

Eventually, I was able to stop wrapping them up for feeding. Finally, they were standing on the newspaper, drinking from the eyedropper with no restraint at all, except to hold them back from trying to swallow the entire dropper!

In this way, you can supplement what they get from their mother, without completely handraising them. As long as you return them all to the nestbox in their mom's cage, she will take care of pottying them and all that.

You certainly don't have to do all this, I just wanted to give it a try when one of the kits missed a couple of feedings after he got out. Then I started feeding the runts as well, and it went from there. :roll:

As some get fed better than others they will get stronger and start to push the weaker ones out. Kits will survive fine if they skip a feeding here and there so long as they can catch the next feeding so she wouldn't have to feed all of them every time but the ones who fail to get fed get too weak to compete at the next feeding so they end up going another feeding and getting weaker. To help them all stay even you can take out the bigger ones for 12-24 hrs every few days, flip the doe over and put the smaller/wrinkler ones on her so they get a dedicated feeding (not all does will allow this), or supplement with formula. Supplementing with formula can be tricky though. Personally I just pick up a bag of foal or goat kid formula and mix it to double the concentration listed on the bag rather than messing with all the recipes online that try to use non milk ingredients or formulas meant for carnivorous animals like kitten milk replacer. We've raised cottontails and kits that had mother's milk for at least a week and then had to be hand fed on those formulas without losing a single one. You have to keep the milk at exactly the right temperature or they won't drink which meant heating it up again after every kit and sometimes in the middle of feeding a kit until we got a little mug warmer. Sometimes you have to sit there putting one drop at a time between their lips because it's hard to find the right size nipples and hard to get them to suck from a syringe at first. It can take forever to get enough milk in to a kit that is being difficult. The ones that have to be handfed from day 1 with no milk from the doe have low odds of survival and I am no longer willing to attempt feeding them because so many just slowly waste away no matter what formula we try using.

Depends upon a number of factors, not the least of which are the doe and the weather.

A good doe can atone for a number of problems which would otherwise wreak havoc on a litter.

Beylerbey,
I have had Does raise a litter of 13 without a problem.
What I suggest if you think it necessary is:
In a separate Bowl place some twice toasted Whole Wheat bread soaked in Cows milk
for the Dam to eat, I have found this to be helpful when a doe is faced with
a litter larger than eight. It's just a help which relieves the breeder and
maybe not so much the rabbit, but it always seemed to help. :bunnyhop:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Congrats on such a large litter! Way to go for the doe who kindled, she as a big job ahead of her raising all thse kits. Crossing my fingers you will have no losses and that all the kits will thrive! :)

I had a doe kindle 11 a few weeks ago, and all survived, but like Miss M, I had to supplement a couple of the smaller runts. They all did good at first, until the stronger ones took over, and a couple fell behind, and stayed small. I supplemented those only for a couple days, and then they were able to take over eating solid food. I think it just gave them the boost they needed to get stronger.

Congrats on the large litter, and best of luck, hoping they all survive!

Latest posts

Back