.177 Cal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
faster shooting is not the reason simply a easy way to shoot quick and less pumping, pull down barrel, put in pellet, and push up, fast and easy. when I get the wild buns in my garden I sometimes need a finisher so quick reload while walking to the bun is nice.

I am considering a .22 cal air pistol with a max. muzzle velocity of 495 fps, the maximum allowed in Canada. Will this do the trick with hollow point pellets?

I may be able to tweak it to get 600 fps, but that would technically be illegal... shhhh .... lol

I think 400fps is the minimum we established as working on most rabbits. Mine goes up to 800 and that's what I used on the adult champagnes. If you aren't doing anything bigger than a roaster though you should be fine. I'd use a different method to put down retired breeders and other adults.

there is a big difference between a .22 cal air gun and a .177 the 500 FPS .22 will do the job fine. As far as pellets are concerned the most accurate pellets are typically target pellets, The hunting pellets are to pointed and it is harder to make a perfect pellet that comes to a point which is why target pellets are almost always flat or domed. In my opinon hollow point pellets are a complete waste of money, They do not travel fast enough to actually do any worth while expansion and they are typically pretty inaccurate. If you are just doing point blank dispatch none of this matters much just buy a heavy domed shaped pellet and youll be fine.

When you put down a rabbit you are actually at point blank range to the head. as the .22 pellet is bigger it will have more kinetic energy than the lighter .177 still a target pellet is not made to penetrate and is flat on the top to cut a noticeable ring out of a paper target, but since the weight will be more using a .22 it should be wash. my old .22 Sherman pump from when I was a kid used a slightly pointed solid cylinder of a bullet not fancy but heaver than the match grade and reliably went through 3/4" plywood but the fancy match grade did not. last time I went looking at the pellets they still sold the same ones in the same yellow plastic box, cheap but a good value

I find a cleaner kill at point blank with fully pumped rifle using the pointed pellets than the rounded. The rabbits drop faster and kick less.

Latest posts

Back