When is it time? Older Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagebrush

Reaction score
I know that with all animals when they start to get older they often loose condition and it shows, no matter how much they eat or lounge around. I just find myself wondering when is the right time with our older buns to let them cross naturally or if we should help them. I ask and wonder this as my favorite bun Tiny, who turned 7 yesterday, has slowed down over this last winter and as I went to move him over to the new rabbitry area I felt that he has lost most of his condition. He has still been eating and drinking well up until yesterday. He nibbled just a little bit of the fresh pasture grass I put into his cage and has not touched his water bottles at all since 4pm yesterday. The pasture grasses all withered and untouched over night. I have spent the last hour and a half trying to get him to eat or drink anything. He still has tummy sounds, still letting out smaller poops and is peeing a little stronger than his normal smell but is refusing everything. I even tried letting him down in the fenced yard, where I have both pasture grasses and the wild weeds that I cut and feed to them every few days, he just kind of sniffed around then ignored them.
IMG_9475.JPEG

I know that with all animals when they start to get older they often loose condition and it shows, no matter how much they eat or lounge around. I just find myself wondering when is the right time with our older buns to let them cross naturally or if we should help them. I ask and wonder this as my favorite bun Tiny, who turned 7 yesterday, has slowed down over this last winter and as I went to move him over to the new rabbitry area I felt that he has lost most of his condition. He has still been eating and drinking well up until yesterday. He nibbled just a little bit of the fresh pasture grass I put into his cage and has not touched his water bottles at all since 4pm yesterday. The pasture grasses all withered and untouched over night. I have spent the last hour and a half trying to get him to eat or drink anything. He still has tummy sounds, still letting out smaller poops and is peeing a little stronger than his normal smell but is refusing everything. I even tried letting him down in the fenced yard, where I have both pasture grasses and the wild weeds that I cut and feed to them every few days, he just kind of sniffed around then ignored them.
It's a hard call. Seven isn't super old for a rabbit, especially for a small breed, but I've noticed that all rabbits, and especially bucks, have a harder time adjusting to change as they age. So it could be that the winter took a toll, then moving him to a new place kind of kicked him when he was down. In fact there's a saying among the breeders around here, that if you buy a new herd buck over the age of about 2yo, breed him right away because chances are he'll die on you. I have found this to be true often enough that I don't usually sell bucks older than that unless I know the buyer understands the risk.

If it's still possible, I'd probably put Tiny back where he was, in his old cage in the old place, maybe even with a familiar next-door neighbor, and see if that helps at all.

He may have a tummy ache from stress and it'll just get worse with him not eating, becoming a downward spiral. Offering him some Critical Care, diluting and syringing it if necessary, can keep things moving and get some water and nutrition into him. Adding Nutri-drops for Rabbits, and Benebac or some other herbivore probiotics, is also usually a good idea. Offer him anything and everything he's ever liked - apple pieces, carrot tops, BOSS, etc. - even if it's not "health food" you want to keep him eating.

Having said all that, animals often seem to have their own agenda. As long as an animal is trying to live - still making comfort movements/grooming, etc. - we try to help them. We've had so many animals pull through when no vet would ever have thought it possible. However, if they want to die, it usually becomes apparent. Sometimes they just seem to accept that they're done, and nothing you can do will prevent it.

I feel your pain; it's a hard situation. Good luck and God bless.

Thank you Alaska Satin. I did move him back and have offered him everything I can. I am just waiting to see any improvement. This is the rabbit that was born in my kitchen on Easter Sunday in 2017. I tried moving one of the grow outs over with him as he has always groomed and loved on the kits when I have had to ween them from mom. He is the ultimate uncle bun lol. but that didn't even perk him up. Syringe feeding and watering are a no go, I don't want to stress him out further trying that again.
SO I am back to waiting and watching and I will keep you all updated on how he is doing.

once they hit two days of not eating, and they have a noticeable loss of condition. that's when I make the call. I never want one of my buns to suffer.

If he stops eating he will die. Since rabbits tend to be clean animals, what about putting some sticky paste/mush made from greens/pellets or some such on the top of his front feet?
I understand the don't want to stress him part, but honestly if an animal shows willingness to quit living i'd either force feed or take the message and put him down.

I just came in from checking on him this morning. He has been drinking as the bowl was half empty this morning, when I checked last night before I couldn't stay up anymore he had started to drink some of it. I changed out the fresh greens this morning, taking out the old ones, and he showed interest in it so far and even had a small nibble. He hasn't touched the pellets still but is at least taking interest in something. Now I had left the bowl next to him last night in case it was a matter of just not having enough energy to go to the water bottle as he is in a 3' x 5' hutch all to him self as I kept the other rabbit that had been with him over to the new area.

I totally believe this is entirely my fault. I had them on a separate but identical watering system as the rest of the other rabbits and even though I saw one of the nipples (there was 2) had a slow leak of water as it has since I set it up, I found that they had in fact been clogged and hardly any water was actually coming out when activated. I found this out this morning. I am guessing as she is only 4 years old, a retired breeder, that she handled it better then he did. Her dewlap is still quite large and she doesn't seem as if she has lost any condition. Could this all have been avoided if I had just checked that the nipples specifically had a good flow of water? Absolutely!!! but I didn't as I got complacent in those checks as they had been going for over 3 years without issues. I did a brand new setup in the new area with clear lines this time so I can see if anything is growing this time and can clear out the problem sooner.

This is them a couple weeks before I moved everyone over, and yes those are cans without sharp edges that they can throw around and make plenty of noise with. They are his favorite toys.
IMG_9257.JPEG

I've learned any time a rabbit skips a meal to check their waterer. It's usually the culprit. Thirsty rabbits wont eat.
I just came in from checking on him this morning. He has been drinking as the bowl was half empty this morning, when I checked last night before I couldn't stay up anymore he had started to drink some of it. I changed out the fresh greens this morning, taking out the old ones, and he showed interest in it so far and even had a small nibble. He hasn't touched the pellets still but is at least taking interest in something. Now I had left the bowl next to him last night in case it was a matter of just not having enough energy to go to the water bottle as he is in a 3' x 5' hutch all to him self as I kept the other rabbit that had been with him over to the new area.

I totally believe this is entirely my fault. I had them on a separate but identical watering system as the rest of the other rabbits and even though I saw one of the nipples (there was 2) had a slow leak of water as it has since I set it up, I found that they had in fact been clogged and hardly any water was actually coming out when activated. I found this out this morning. I am guessing as she is only 4 years old, a retired breeder, that she handled it better then he did. Her dewlap is still quite large and she doesn't seem as if she has lost any condition. Could this all have been avoided if I had just checked that the nipples specifically had a good flow of water? Absolutely!!! but I didn't as I got complacent in those checks as they had been going for over 3 years without issues. I did a brand new setup in the new area with clear lines this time so I can see if anything is growing this time and can clear out the problem sooner.

This is them a couple weeks before I moved everyone over, and yes those are cans without sharp edges that they can throw around and make plenty of noise with. They are his favorite toys.
View attachment 41050

it was maybe a day or 2 of noticing he wast eating that got the water bottles out and filled for him. later that same day i offered the bowl. but all is for not as he has given up completely and i need to help him cross the bridge. i wont be on for a bit as i try to come to terms about it all.
everyone hug your bunz and always check the water supply to make sure it is working properly.

Maybe this will help someone. I have been using these automatic cage bowls for a couple weeks now and like them. Since the buns have learned to use them, there is almost always a little water left in the bottom of the bowl when they use them, so it is easy to see if they are getting water. They are really cheap too!

1 Pcs Rabbit Water Bowl Farm Rabbit Automatic Drinker Rabbit Cage Fix Cup Raising Fox Mink Stainless Steel Drinking Bowl​

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.23.46341802FqGMND&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Latest posts

Back