Tanning question...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
I've been reading this and would like to try it this way: http://www.freewebs.com/nwrhrbc/How%20t ... 0Hides.pdf

It says the hides will be whiter, though. Are they assuming you are starting with white hides? Or will it "bleach out" ANY hide? One of the reasons I want Champagne D'Argent rabbits is for the beautiful silver pelts. I almost want to try it out on my colorful "mutts" first...should I?

Also...what the heck??? Flesh 'em out after the first pickling? That...sounds terribly disgusting. I flesh out my hides after I'm done with the carcass and before I do ANYTHING to it. D:

Advice?

The whitening they are talking about refers to the leather, not the fur.

When I split the cased hide, I cut along the midline of the belly, not from shoulder to rump- that would make a strange hide if you had an agouti marked rabbit.

As for the processing itself, my DD fleshes the hides before we freeze them. We will flesh them again after they have soaked in the first solution to get any bits that were missed.

I am going to try the battery acid method because I couldn't find alum.

look for the alum at a health food store, a good health food store can order it for you if they dont have it, and if and when you get the alum, store it in a good air tite container ,if its just kept in the bag roled up after opening , the humidity in the air will make it hard as a rock. also make sure it isnt hard when you buy it. When its in a hard clump, it does not break up easily at all. It turns to dang near like concrete left in the bag.

they sell it on ebay too. i flesh my hides after the first solution bath. I find that I make less mistakes with tearing too much flesh off. i only tear off what peels up.

I would like to try the battery acid method too, and compare. They say alum makes a softer hide, but the acid lasts longer.

Remember that the best tanning hides come from year or more older rabbits. Younger ones are too thin to get much use out of.

hoodat":3edi3b6q said:
Remember that the best tanning hides come from year or more older rabbits. Younger ones are too thin to get much use out of.

That is so true, but I have not found that I have that kind of patience. :)

If the rabbit is needs to be culled, usually I know it before it hits a year old, and it's taking up cage space I could use for something else.

You can also get alum at most gardening stores - especially in any areas where hydrangeas or other colored flowers that depend on the soil.....

question - I have heard tumble dry in the dryer inside a sack after your cure, anyone tried this?

WallTenter":1io0tzuu said:
I have heard tumble dry in the dryer inside a sack after your cure, anyone tried this?

No, but it sounds like a good idea. Just use "air dry" (no heat) and maybe put some tennis balls in with it to beat it up a bit. I think I'll try this too! :)

Loving all the knowledge and resources here! I was trying to figure out what I should do with the hides of my meat rabbits (after I get them of course!) because I hate to just waste ANYTHING. Since my dog is raw fed that means heads and all guts can go to him (minus intestines and bladder), meat goes on the table, and fur gets tanned (now that I have an idea how! I was worried about trying to sell or use "raw" pelts.) That means the only waste I should have from the rabbits is the bladder and intestines! Thanks everyone!

Tegan":2lf0t9wf said:
That means the only waste I should have from the rabbits is the bladder and intestines!

Chickens will eat the bladder and intestines.

:chicken:

MamaSheepdog":2dle2m24 said:
Tegan":2dle2m24 said:
That means the only waste I should have from the rabbits is the bladder and intestines!

Chickens will eat the bladder and intestines.

:chicken:

I have no chickens....I'd be happy to ship the bladder and intestines to you though LOL! And I'm sure my pooch would eat them too but....yuck. Just the thought of dropping those into his bowl....ewwwww. (Yet I'm not grossed out by heads....)

My chickens won't eat the intestines. They eat the liver, heart, fat, kidneys... Not stomach or intestines.

Any links on how to feed my 4 dogs rAw rabbits and commercial mix?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back