Taking a tamed bunny outdoors?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people take cats on walks and adventures like that (or more likely in a backpack version), but rabbits are more vulnerable and they know it. They are also way more likely to catch something that kills them, run away or panic and break their back.
If you want a pet you can take places, get a dog or even a cat, not a bunny.

I know people take cats on walks and adventures like that (or more likely in a backpack version), but rabbits are more vulnerable and they know it. They are also way more likely to catch something that kills them, run away or panic and break their back.
So taking a bunny inside a pet carrier to pet stores is a bad idea? How about taking a bunny outdoors in a pet stroller?

How come other people can bring their bunnies in strollers to outdoor places?
I never said you couldn't, those people are most likely those "pet rabbits people" who barely do their research and probably treat them like a cat or dog
Go for it if you want to ig, but I'd advise against it

So taking a bunny inside a pet carrier to pet stores is a bad idea? How about taking a bunny outdoors in a pet stroller?
Yes. You have given your pet a job that benefits you, that makes it your responsibility to not give it a task as part of that job it is ill suited for and or goes against the animals basic instincts. Rabbits have been selected first as meat animal and later as an inhouse or yard pet. Not as a travelcompagnon or huntingpartner like a dog or a horse. They are firstly small vulnarable preyanimals eaten by pretty much any predator that can get to them. And then you want to take them places often in the open, with predators like dogs within line of sight? Vetclinics these days are seperating the different species like dogs and cats in the waitingrooms where possible to minimize stress, why throw an animal that has less defence into all kinds of situations where you have no control over what everybody else does? You are responsible for keeping your pet safe. Bringing your pet into an environment you have no control makes that impossible.

Imho there is no benefit for the rabbit, even if it tolerates it. This would be solely about the wishes and vanity of the owner to show off their "cool" bunny. And I would not use something a dog can get into or bite through that easily, some dogs have not very capable owners...

Even a harness is a stretch, ok for some rabbits in an area that is secure and when one follows the rabbit, not so much vice versa.

Just because some youtubers make all this look cool doesn't mean those are such bright ideas.

My percieve rabbits as very capable animals, mine spend daytime in the garden, they can go out on meadow and into the wood when I'm around, and they are very good at not getting eaten, never lost one outside. And they all return home when it's time to go into the hutches.
I wouldn't put a cat on a leash, the idea seems even more off with my rabbits.

So the thing is you can take your bunny places as long as:
1: he is not scared or stressed
2: he is not in reach of a predator such as a dog
3: you are aware of any potential diseases he could catch in your area

#1 and #3 apply to rabbit shows equally. #2 does not. If you can keep your bunny safe and he is calm and happy, he can go. Many of us do not have rabbits that are calm and happy in those situations. I have known a rabbit that lived in a feed store and was trained to take cash from customers and give it to the owner. I think that rabbit had a good life, but the owners were very careful with him.

I never said you couldn't, those people are most likely those "pet rabbits people" who barely do their research and probably treat them like a cat or dog
Go for it if you want to ig, but I'd advise against it
So basically you are saying that people like me who want bring a bunny outdoors are ignorant pet owners.

Yes. You have given your pet a job that benefits you, that makes it your responsibility to not give it a task as part of that job it is ill suited for and or goes against the animals basic instincts. Rabbits have been selected first as meat animal and later as an inhouse or yard pet. Not as a travelcompagnon or huntingpartner like a dog or a horse. They are firstly small vulnarable preyanimals eaten by pretty much any predator that can get to them. And then you want to take them places often in the open, with predators like dogs within line of sight? Vetclinics these days are seperating the different species like dogs and cats in the waitingrooms where possible to minimize stress, why throw an animal that has less defence into all kinds of situations where you have no control over what everybody else does? You are responsible for keeping your pet safe. Bringing your pet into an environment you have no control makes that impossible.
You are mean and rude.

So the thing is you can take your bunny places as long as:
1: he is not scared or stressed
2: he is not in reach of a predator such as a dog
3: you are aware of any potential diseases he could catch in your area

#1 and #3 apply to rabbit shows equally. #2 does not. If you can keep your bunny safe and he is calm and happy, he can go. Many of us do not have rabbits that are calm and happy in those situations. I have known a rabbit that lived in a feed store and was trained to take cash from customers and give it to the owner. I think that rabbit had a good life, but the owners were very careful with him.

You are mean.

The bunnies in the pictures who are in strollers would be at eye level for my dog. In a pet store I might not expect to see a rabbit with my dog, and I could be surprised. It would be my fault if I could not control him, and I am hyperaware of my surroundings because he is only half-trained and is learning, but not all people with dogs are so careful and the bunny could be hurt or dead either way. If you do take your bunny out, you must be hyper aware of dangers he could encounter and watch for hazards so that he does NOT encounter them. I would hate for tragedy to occur in a moment of inattention.

So basically you are saying that people like me who want bring a bunny outdoors are ignorant pet owners.
I do not think this was said. Please take a breath. You are over reacting, and you need to stop or I will lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back